Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I stopped in at a gunstore on business.

There was a small handgun with what looked like British proofs.

There is no trigger guard, and the trigger folds.

I don't remember a top strap, but I was also looking at an original Baby Dragoon so I could be wrong on that.

It looks exactly like this, only smaller, and is centerfire, not pinfire. Also, the trigger folds.

It looked to be centerfire, caliber .32 or .38, and a plunger ejector. It did have a loading gate.

Does anyone know what this might be? It was in extremely good shape, so it's been babied.

Thanks,

Josh <><

·
Registered
720 Posts
That might be a variety of an Austrian Model 1898 Rast&Gasser. A picture very similar appeared in the just out December edition of GunsandAmmo magazine, page 26.
og

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OG,

Thank you for your reply. I searched and it lead me to this:

That's it to the T except that this is still pinfire when the one I looked at is centerfire! Doh!

More help?

Thanks,

Josh <><

·
Registered
720 Posts
COOL!! the magazine article rated it as "The World's Ugliest Gun". I wonder if there is even rifling in the barrel. Looks like a Vienna Sausage can stuck between a steel tube and an old blackjack for a grip.

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OG,

I might have to take another looke at it today. The thing is 98 - 100%! Action is very stiff and I feel like I'm going to break the trigger when I'm dryfiring it, so I don't

This is a most interesting gun -- I almost wonder if it's an older pinfire Lefaucheux converted to centerfire? That's almost what it looks like... but from what I understand, Americans were big on coverting while the rest of the world really wasn't. That would make this a rare conversion of some sort...

The lack of markings are interesting as well.

Josh <><

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, I went and took pictures
of the lil' booger.

I apologize for the poor quality: I was in a hurry and the lighting wasn't the greatest.

Here is the pistol. You can see the lack of trigger guard and the folding trigger. The trigger does feel like one is supposed to use both the index and middle fingers on it.

Here's a closer view of this revolver. The ejector rod is not spring - loaded.

Here is the trigger in the folded position. The sights are meant to be stacked. I thought this was a relatively recent innovation.

We tried to size the chambers using a .32acp round. The bullet did not quite fit leading me to believe that it's a .30 cal or perhaps a 7mm.

There are markings which appear to be a crown over a U. The crown is an upside - down "u" shape with a cross sticking out of the top. On the frame there are two of these crowns stacked above a U; on the cylinder, only one crown above the U. Also on the cylinder are a 2 and a 3. At first I thought the chambers were for some reason numbered but I failed to find 1, 4, 5, and 6 (six chambers).

Interesting.

Josh <><

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OG,

It's priced at $150 or so. I think it may actually be worth around $500 depending on whether worth is close to other similar examples I've found.

This is most likely a Belgium pistol as many came unmarked from there btw... and it does look like a French copy.

I've been going through book after book and can't ID it.

Looking at it closer I would say 90% - 95% condition. There was a little bit of pitting that I hadn't noticed Thursday and the bore looks like it's been fired -- though not extensively.

Josh <><

G

·
I love looking at old guns like these. There was a time, I'll almost guarantee, when a gun like that peculiar little pocket rocket, if not that gun, itself, saved someone's life!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts