Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well gentelmen I need your help. I have a german walther PPKS in 9 mm kurz and want to know the date of manufacture please. On the lefth side of the slide it has the following roll marks: Carl Walther Waffenfabrick Ulm/Do. Made in W.Germany. PPKS Cal. 9 mm kurz and has the walther logo. On the right side of the slide has the roll marks: INTERARMS ALEXANDRIA VIRGINIA and some star.Just below the ejection ports it has the numbers 244687.

On the right side of the frame below the numbers above related it has a crown aegle with a N below this and has something that apears to be buck antler.

The serial number is on the pistolet and reads 244687S.

Do yow know when mi pistol was made?

Thank you.

Manny

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Manny,

If you look at the proof mark on the barrel, near the antler marking, there should be either a two digit number which corresponds to the year the pistol was proofed, or later guns will have two letters which are a code for the proof year. The numbers should run like this (I'm doing this from memory as I don't have my Wather books handy)
A=0
B=1
C=2
D=3
E=4
F=5
G=6
H=7
I=8
K=9

For example, if the code is IE, then the gun was proofed in 1984, if it's AA, then it was proofed in 2000, etc.

Hope this helps...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Manny, I looked but I could not find the information. I am sure if someone called Earl's they would know the information. Lastly, how is your nina? Regards, Richard

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The gun was reblued so the tiny marks almost desapered, the barrel has no marks, it seems thet in the slide I can see the letter IA bettwen the Crown eagle and the antler. Not sure but it apear an IA.

Manny

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What I can remember my father telling me about how the PPK/s came to be; it was design in respond to the 1968 gun law and it prohibition against what was known as the Saturday Night Specials. Apparently base on the firearm's capacity it was restricted from import. Walthers response was to use a PP frame with a PPK barrel and slide then redesignating the weapon as the PPK/s to meet the new law requirements.

I believe they where intially manufacture in either 1969 or 1970. I have one that my dad purchase in 1970, I believe they were manufacture in Germany till 1986.

For a more accurate age of your weapon and the run, you should contact the factory for assistance. They should be able to give you that information from the serial number.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Posted by stmichps
...Apparently base on the firearm's capacity it was restricted from import...
Actually it was overall size, not magazine capacity. The original PPK had a short grip frame and slide that did not meet height+length minimum of the GCA'68. By using the PP frame and a PPK slide we got the PPKS.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually, it was several factors that determined a hangun's legality for import after the miserable 1968 gun-control legislation. Besides physical dimensions, the type of sights were another one. A handgun had to rate a minimum number of "points" to allow it to be importable; larger dimensions, larger (perhaps target-type) sights, and I think some other features, contributed to the points total. Walther found that adding the longer PP frame to the PPK slide got them the requisite number of points for importation.

Browning's excellent little Model 1910 pocket auto also got caught in the same legislation. Browning's response was to bring out a much-changed variant of the Model 1910, the Model 1971 or Model 10/71, with a longer barrel and slide and target sights. It was a neat, racy-looking little plinker, but no longer a pocket gun.

. . . . . . yer federal tax dollars at work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts