Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I've used it for a while. A water-skier friend gave me a sample bottle he got from a boat shop at least eight years ago, but I didn't try it for a while since I had plenty of "wonder oils".
Once I did, I liked it.
It seems to stay in place better than most. I have a couple SMGs and I like to use it on those because they tend to shed oil quick and Militec stays around longer than most things.
That ability to stay put also makes it nice for lubing things you don't go into very often, like revolver internals. Grease works for that too, but some prefer oil over grease.

They will send you a sample if you ask. Or at least they used to. I don't have an email or website address handy.

Some people have claimed it has some sort of etching property as part of it's "molecular bonding" mumbo-jumbo, and think it will "eat metal away". But after several years of use, I've yet to have a gun ate away by it!

They make a grease I like also. It's thinner than some greases, so I like it for those cases that need something between grease and oil.

I either use Militec oil or grease, Slip 2000, or the military M1 Garand Plastilube for almost everything.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hello,

Yes sir, I use both the oil and the grease on most of my automatics. It does work as advertised and seems use metal conditioning properties that stays put in the pores of the metal. The grease is a favorite of mine in pocket auto's where you don't want oil ruining your clothes.

Good stuff. Try www.militec.com.

Best,

Chris

·
Registered
41 Posts
I bought Militec and used it without complaint until I read some reviews of various products. Would anyone care to comment on these tests, which appear to indicate that Eezox provides rust prevention superior to Militec:

http://www.thegunzone.com/rust.html

Here's another corrosion test w/ Eezox (but not in comparison to Militec):

http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html

And a corrosion test using black powder:

http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_experiments/corrosion/corrosion.html

The Canadians tested and approved Eezox for cold weather lubrication:

http://www.cprc.org/tr/tr-1997-01.pdf

I'm not an Eezox salesman! And I would appreciate other thoughts on these tests. Eezox can be a bit smelly, and has some evil ingredients like TCE, but I've used it for 5 years now and it's worked well for me.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
I'm not sure but I think it to be very similar to Breakfree CLP. I have used it and been happy with it but I do not attribute any special qualities to it.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I use it and like it. I haven't really tried any comparisons to other stuff to say it's better or worse, but I have done a lot of shooting with it and have found nothing to complaina about.

elb

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Suggestion: Try these corrosion tests with Strike Hold cleaner/lube. They claim to have rust preventative properties also.

·
Registered
17 Posts
All I have ever used to lubricate my firearms is Mobil 1 Motor Oil, ATF, (Automatic Transmission Fluid), and for very high pressure friction points like bolt lugs on bolt action rifles and hinge pins on O/U shotguns I use a small amount of STP. I have never had a a gun rust or fail because of a lubrication issue in over 35 years. Gun oils and greases are overpriced "snake oils" in fancy packaging, nothing more. Know what your getting when you spend $8.00 for a bottle of "Castrol / Hoppes Synthetic Gun Oil"? Castrol Syntec Motor Oil. You can buy it all day for around $2.50 @ quart, or pay $8.00 for 4 ounces of it in a fancy brushed Aluminum pump bottle. Same with a lot of these "Gun Greases". Go into any auto parts store and you can buy a large tube of Moly Grease that will last the average shooter a lifetime for a couple of bucks. It's as good, or better than these miracle gun greases they sell for over $10.00 for a 1/4 ounce! If you like the fancy hypo type applicator, you can get one at Walgreens, or most any other drug store for around .25 to .50 cents, and it's refillable too boot. Mobil 1 can be tailored to your climate just as you would if you used it in your car. If you shoot or hunt in very frigid climate it comes in a 0W-20 grade that won't stiffen up in cold weather. Here in Arizona we don't get much cold weather, but in the Summer it can get blistering hot so I use the 20W-50 grade. It has a nice viscosity that won't run off metal and dry up in a few days like some of these water thin gun oils like "Rem-Oil" will. ATF is a very clean non gumming lubricant that works well for lubricating semi autos and fast moving parts like slides and even trigger mechanisms. All 3 of these products can be purchased at any auto parts store for around $10.00, and will last the average shooter for years. I won't overpay for these gun lubes that do nothing better except make you poorer. Bill T.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
I too have used STP for grease one can of which is a lifetime supply. It is both stick and slick. I have been a big CLP fan as that is what Uncle supplied and it was cheap in bulk. That replaced RBC (rifle bore cleaner) and LSA (lube, small arms) and whatever the preservative was. When I was in the Dad's Army, they used to use dry cleaning solvents and CRC brake cleaner to prepare for inspections. I have long ago quit trying to follow fashion but there are some nifty new foam cleaners out there.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Mr. Bill,

Very interesting information on alternative lubricants. I appreciate it. If you don't mind my asking, what do you use as a general purpose bore cleaner and what do you use to remove lead or copper fouling.

By the way, the Marines in our detachment are using some sort of wonder lube that supposedly cuts down on dust sticking to the weapon. Supposedly it blows right off of a coated weapon. I'll try to find out what it is.

Thanks!

DocV

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
DocV,

I am LOL right now!

My son, a USMC PFC, went shooting with me last week while on leave.

We went to clean our rifles and I handed him a bottle of Hoppes #9 and he asked "what's this for?" He went to his Sea Bag and pulled out a bottle of CLP and proceeded to clean his rifle....

If you get a chance, please let us know what they are using and it could be a "field issued" lubricant.

US Marines like to keep their "stuff tight"!

Thank you for your service sir,

Chris

·
Registered
105 Posts
Mr. Stephens, et al:

I checked with my Marine buddy who is CO of Troops on board. He said the Marines were using Militech as a dusty enviroment lubricant. He also said it is not a rust inhibitor or cleaner. For that they use CLP. However, he went on to say he had seen an Army message banning the use of Militech. He is trying to find out why.

R/ DocV

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've tried Militec and its recommended method of application by using heat. So far my 1911s have been cycling smoothly and easy to clean. BTW, also been using Weapon shield,also satisfied with it.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I've been using synthetic transmission fluid since it hit the market. I've had zero problems with this, even on firearms that we fire enough to smoke the handguards (AK's with 75 round drums) Many guys use Mobil 1, same as Billt, haven't heard of them having lube related problems either.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts