Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been badly under the weather for some time now, so getting out and just having fun is great therapy. My partner in crime is having knee surgery tomorrow and again two weeks from now, so I took him to the range today. It'll be a while before he can get back out, so we burned up lots of powder through various wheelguns. The day was good for both of us.

He's been trying to talk me out of a particular S&W Model 57, a shiny, nickel plated 4" that shoots really well. Here's my last target, and one of the worst.

That's 15 grains of 2400 under a 215 grain hard cast SWC and a Winchester large pistol primer. The best targets were with the same bullet and primer, but 8 grains of Unique.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Sounds like a great day, and needed too.

I hadda get out yesterday myself. Needed nitrocellulose therapy. :)

Mainly plinked with .22 revolvers.

Regards,

Pat

G

·
Leland Ray,

Hmmm, seems like our old friend, the S&W M57, keeps rearing it's head. Is it the platform or the .41 Mag cartridge that keeps us coming back?

Am trying out some original "Keith" type cast projo's from Lead Heads. 230 grainers. Should be interesting, as the meplat is much larger than I see on other designs.

Wes

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wes, I might try some of the 230s one of these days, but I have lots of the 215s on hand already. The meplat on these isn't as wide as on a "true" Keith style bullet.

For what it's worth, a moderately loaded M57 is comfortable to shoot for even those long sessions. Using one of my 57s and an old S series 58, my friend and I shot perhaps 175 rounds yesterday.

G

·
I would really like to see a pic of your model 58. I wish I could find a 4" (or less) barreled one in excellent condition for sale.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey, Catbird.

The Model 58 was made in 4" only, though I'm sure there were lots of them treated to custom conversions. I understand that a very few of the 58s were nickelled at the factory, but a nickelled 58 would be too valuable to shoot, at least for many.

I'll try to get a picture of the old beastie online in a day or so. Here's the nickelled 57 dash nothing, along with a Model 29 (with Collins faux ivories)

G

·
LelandRay -
I suppose I'm drifting OT a bit, but here's a pic of my nickel plated pinned and recessed model 29 that I bought sometime in the mid 1970s:

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I sold a nickelled and unfired 29-2 with 6 1/2" tube not long ago. As usual I had trouble dealing with the fact that I was going to be the first to shoot it.

G

·
LR- Great to see you over here.
You have seen this, but some of these boys may have not. Guns are made to shoot. Here is one of my 58's, with extended ivories no less. :) Hey, you only go around once. :)

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My 58 is getting a new cylinder stop, and then it's getting a new finish one of these days. I'm thinking about hard chrome to make it purty and functional at the same time.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Cool wheelies guys!
I don't know if it is just coincidence but almost all of the .41s I have encountered shot really well.

That nickel 58 is a rare bird indeed!
Thanks for posting,
Jim

·
Registered
430 Posts
Handgun therapy is not just good for the body, but the mind too.

I find it extremely helpful to go down to the range and put a few rounds downrange, when I need to clear my mind and focus on something else for awhile. Haven't had a great week or weekend personally, but my pops and I went down to the range this morning. I took the new 1911 and a hundred rounds of CCI and Winchester white box .45 and proceeded to blow the center out of my target.

Great therapy...and .45 may not be cheap at $10-15 a box, but it's alot cheaper than a shrink!

-Rob

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When I feel physically bad, I don't really like going out shooting. When it's my brain that needs help, however, a trip to the range can make the day much better.

I have a Model 10 S&W that I use a lot, and it's recently developed a problem when shooting +P loads. I've fixed the problem, but I need to do lots of testing to make sure the gun is working 100%. I guess I can stand the sacrifice... :)

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That target looks pretty sad. : ). But I'll help you out by taking gun off your hands if it will help.
There are so many true gentlemen who make offers like this! I just don't know what to say to their generosity. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts