Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I suspect that most reading posts here are firearm enthusiasts and am equally sure that they have their own favorite handguns for whatever area of handgunning they favor.

This would include handguns for self-protection.

It likely that their spouses or significant others might not be shooting enthusiasts although there's nothing that says that they might not be ardent shooters.

My wife is not a shooter, but does want her own gun for times that I'm away, especially during deer season when she is almost a widow. It is an older S&W Model 65 LadySmith.

The search for just the right gun for her led down several paths, but eventually to the LS.

Here is the wife's Model 65 LS. She does NOT like to use the full-power .357 Magnum. Her revolver is loaded with Remington 158-gr. LSWCHP +P, which she does not find to have objectionable recoil.

In either event, does your significant other have a dedicated defense handgun?

Thanks in advance.

Best.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Friend and I took wives to range a year ago so they could choose a handgun. Of all mine and all my friend brought, my wife chose the Bersa Thunder 380 over everything else. Recoil was OK and she liked the trigger pull better than KelTec, Beretta, Ruger, Taurus, etc. At 10 yds all her shots were in the black. Plus she could rack the slide. The Bersa also has the de-cocker safety which seems kinda scarey to use with a round in the chamber, but it works, and she can carry it loaded with the hammer down.
FWIW,
og.........the only thing easier to fire is a .22, but we didn't offer that to the ladies.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi there Stephen,

Yes, my wife shoots my Kel Tec P3-AT and has tried my other handguns as well.

She is definately not a shooter by any means and is generally not very enthusiastic about shooting, but the simplicity of the little Kel Tec is easy for her to remember.

My wife also has shot my Star BM as well. She translated the original owners manual for me as she is from Puerto Rico and does understand the function of that firearm as well.

Chris

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Mr. Camp,

Ria is not ready to shoot a handgun yet, by her own admission. She does however like the .22 rifle so there's hope.

Josh <><

·
Registered
525 Posts
My wife shoots our Glock 17 with ease, but it is a little big for her to tote around, so it is the house gun for both of us. She has been using a Taurus Model 85 for a carry gun, but we have found the Kahr P-9 to be a good fit, so she's transitioning to it. Easy to shoot, carries more rounds than the M-85 but certainly does not give up anything in effectiveness (and I suspect is more effective), and is not much bigger.

elb

·
Registered
26 Posts
The wife started out with an S&W 645, which had to be sold when money got tight. She commendeered my Colt 1910 in .380 and later I convinced her to get a Taurus M-65 with a 2" bbl. which she hated (she likes autos). Right now my Kimber Custom Royal keeps her company, but as I mentioned in my posting on the subject we'er considering getting her a BHP.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello. As a Texas Concealed Handgun License instructor, I've seen several ladies come through the course using Hi Powers or 1911 pistols with no problems. If you wife likes the Hi Power, it should make a very suitable defensive arm.

Best.

·
Registered
67 Posts
My fiancee had never shot before we met but she was very open to the subject. She initially thought that she would like a revolver but, after shooting several different types of handguns, she found that she shot the 1911 type pistols the best. However, the full size all steel .45 was a bit heavy for her to hold very long without starting to wobble. The soloution was Kimber's Tactical Pro II 9mm with it's lightweight aluminum frame which she shoots quite well.

Regards,
Shawn

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Hello,

As a "dedicated" defensive handgun, the better half carries a Smith and Wesson 432 PD .32 H&R Magnum J-frame revolver. She likes single-action semi-autos too, but prefers wheelguns for the simplicity of operation. When we buy firearms, we (usually) try to get ones that we both can operate easily, as a result we have mostly 9mm and .38 SPL handguns. She prefers to shoot semi-autos but has more confidence in steel revolvers. Concealing a medium frame revolver is next to impossible for her, so the alloy Airweight was the compromise between an old Colt or a new .32 ACP pistol.

--D.

·
Registered
321 Posts
My wife is not particularly interested in guns but does recognize the need for self-protection. The solution in our case (no concealed carry for her, strictly home protection) turned out to be a Ruger GP-100, 4", pretty Houge wood grips, loaded with 38 special 158 grain +P LHP. The Ruger soaks up the recoil from this load well and she likes it much better than my J-frame or the flying brass ejected from the BHP. Most importantly, she can hit what she aims at with this combination.

G

·
I thought about this back about 30 years ago. Now, when my wife walks into a room with one of my firearms she crosses herself and exits the way she came ::)

But, back to the point: Pondering back then, I always thought a semi-auto on the pattern of a Browning Nomad or Colt Woodsman in .22 Winchester Rimfire Magnum with hollowpoints would have made a dandy female defensive gun.

G

·
Oh by the way I actually have a wife now so I can respond to these, Home Beretta 92, road Taurus PT 111 MillenniumTitanium. she's pretty good with both, probably be going with a compact Sig as her current duty arm is a SIG226 .40

G

·
We must have looked at every gunshop withing a 2 hour drive when my wife first decided to get her own handgun. She settled on a bryco 380. It was of poor quality but it was reliable for a year or 2 till it broke.
So it is gun shopping again and she wanted another bryco but i did my best to dissuade her. So i spent a month researching online. Then we hit some shops with a few different guns in the back of my mind.
She decided on a makarov . I was very pleased with this choice. After she changed jobs and had to wear dresses and dress up she wasnt carrying all the time. Due to difficulty concealing the makarov. I brow beat her into getting another gun as one at home is worthless. this time she picked a keltec p32. Not my first choice but she carri9es it ALWAYS which is most important.
Now she is 6months preggo and she says when th ebaby comes she will carry the makarov in the diaper bag and the p32 on her. I can live with that.

·
Regulator,
3,441 Posts
Josh, Stephen, and all.

Wife (hereafter known as "she who must be obeyed") has three handguns. A 9mm Sigma, Beretta 84, and a S&W M60 3" with adjustable sights and full underlug.
The latter is her favorite handgun. Stoked with .38 Special 158 Gr. +P LSWCHP's it makes a dandy weapon for her. She doesn't find the +P ammo to obnoxious to shoot well, either.

Wes

G

·
my wife enjoys shooting and she does quite well. We first bought her a Rossi .38 revolver. She hated it...the trigger was so stiff that in 15 rounds she couldnt hardly pull it anymore. We traded that in for a Beretta 92 fs... she loves it. whenever she wants to shoot or I'm out of town it becomes her new best friend.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts