Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to a gun show tomorrow with some friends. There's a guy who shows up at this event with boxes and boxes of BHP parts, and I'm going to scrounge around to see what I can find. I'm not looking for anything in particular, but there's no telling what might present itself. At the same time I'm going to be on the lookout for things like grips and economy size boxes of ammo (500 - 1,000 rounds). I particularly want to find a nice stock of .30 Carbine ammo.

Perhaps the most interesting thing about the show will be its location, roughly 50 yards from Lake Pontchartrain, in the New Orleans suburb of Kenner. I got an email back in September informing me that the Kenner show was being cancelled and rescheduled to December, but neither my friends nor I believed it could happen this quickly. So now I'll be particularly interested to see how many people come out, both visitors and table holders. You might say we're going to show support for Louisiana shooters and collectors, who had a really BAD year. (The Mississippi Gulf Coast shows haven't advertised yet; the buildings where they have shows were both pretty badly damaged by Katrina.)

The area of the show is at a small convention center, and to get there you have to drive through a rather "interesting" residential area. During one show last year there was a drug sweep in the area, and as we drove away from the show we witnessed at least a dozen arrests going down in the first mile. We stopped for Chinese and watched the fun. :)

·
Registered
430 Posts
Have fun Leland. I have a friend whose dad lived in Kenner LA. They didn't get it as bad as NO, I believe because they were at a higher elevation. He went in about two weeks after the storm and told me that it was bad, but not anything compared to ground zero.

-Rob

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I bet there will be line out the door of people stocking-up on AKs, ARs, Rem 870s, and all sorts of SHTF guns and ammo.
I saw 3 very nice Inglises at a PA show this am. Too bad I'm hoarding my resources for a nice .45 Sistema.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hey jonnyc, I have an interest in Inglis HP and was wondering if you noticed any detail and prices on those 3 you saw at the PA show.

I just got home from an OH show and there was one Iglis that had been refinished, did not have the original mag. and the asking price was $890. Seemed like a steep price.

We don't get many Inglis HPs in these parts, actually not too many of any type HP. It's hard to get a HP fix around here. poppy

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
All three looked dark and nice, with bright white numbers. I think they all started "6T". I did not see a price, but earlier in the day my friend asked me if I saw the Inglis HPs for $550. That could have been the ones I later saw. Hope that helps a bit.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jonny, buying a SHTF gun in New Orleans now is sort of like locking the barn door after the horse has been stolen.

But you're probably right, I'd wager.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi Leland,

If the prices are right, are you going to be looking for any handguns?

Do you think that there will be more "motivated sellers" there because of the events in that area of the country?

Chris

G

·
Actually, could be buyer's show if few show up. I agree let us know what you fing, Leland.

I went to one here today buy saw little of interest.

S&W revolvers seem to have dried up around here, and prices are up (or seem to be.) I've been lookin for a good deal on a m1q5 fr awhile now.

Max

·
Registered
111 Posts
Thanks jonnyc for your response. 6T Inglis HPs in good shape could be around $550. The one I saw was a T series but certainly over priced.

The ones I am really interested in are the CH series with tangent sights and shoulder stock slots. poppy

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi there Leland,

Trading fodder?

I'm taking a full target 15-4 down as trading fodder.
We need a follow up! I really enjoy trading off the stuff I never use and shoot! Too bad there is not a market for used firearms accesories!

Let us know,

Chris

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I'm waiting for my ride to pick me up, and I've decided to leave the M15 in the safe. Instead I'm taking a 1986 vintage "all Italian" Beretta 92 (not FS), LNIB with outer box, papers, and original 15-round mags, cleaning tools, etc.

We'll see. There's a Hi Power guy who shows up at this show, but I'll only deal with him if he tries very, very hard to make me happy.

G

·
That's pretty funny.

I'm looking to trade -- even -- for a very nice 15... At least I think I am. I actually did find a 15-0 at that show this weekend, but couldn't bring myself to attempt the deal.

I have a 1930s M&P I don't care for but also feel kind of bad about getting rid of.

Max

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I had seen all the videotaped footage of the destruction in New Orleans, but nothing makes a better impression than getting up close and personal.

The only way I can describe it is that the devastation is Biblical in its scope, and surreal in presentation. We were on an elevated part of I-10 when I happened to look down and see a Shoney's restaurant with eight or nine cars in the parking lot. I was really happy to see business returning, and then I noticed that the cars were all coated with dirt, even on the roofs. They'd been sitting there since August 29, in other words.

There were other scenes, but I'll let ya'll imagine. Just think about huge subdivisions and condo complexes, all totally devoid of life, with cars, boats, and other big bits of debris scattered hither and yon with no pattern save the way the waters travelled. We went over the Ninth Ward, and it's my belief that there will never be any viable community there ever again.

Oh, and having a hundred tons of black mold in the air was not good for my sinuses.

Got some M1 Carbine parts at the show and had someone insult me very badly. Someone had expressed an interest in my unfired Italian Beretta 92, and he made me an offer counter to the figure I'd quoted him. "Would you take $300 cash?

That's an insult.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
(Coming into this thread late....no power for the last 5 days)

I went to a local show in Greenville, SC.

Picked up a set of nice stag grips for the HP. $50. Guess he noticed how fast I got the money out.....he asked what they were worth. "About 175-250"

Sure are purty. Bit on the fat side though. Have to see how hard they are to hold under recoil.

Prices on Smiths were _insane_. Didn't look at much else. Picked up a speedloader for the Kit Gun and a couple of new Mec-Gars. Steak buffet onna way home.

Regards,

Pat

1 - 17 of 17 Posts