Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

We had our annual gun show in town here last weekend. Made my compulsory first day tour on friday.

The offer wasn't very different as on other editions... less long guns, maybe. Had my attention attracted by some very nice 08 in good shape (finish and matching pieces) and reasonnable priced (around 1000 francs/870 $), some P38 and Mauser C96. Saw some interesting Mauser HSc and Steyr 1912 in pristine condition too. Looks like after the bottom of the crate pieces that came from the east for a decade some good pieces are emerging again. Saw a beautiful pre-1962 BHP with leather braided lanyard and holster. No Colt 1903 (remember, I bought one last year).

As I'm more on wheelguns these days, I finally cracked for a Colt Detective Special (400 francs/350 $), w/o papers nor box, in perfect condition, except for the front sight painted in white. It is 3rd generation model (shrouded extractor), with small, smooth wood grips and gold 150 years Cold medallions. The small jewel didn't shot much - if ever - (no ring on the drum) and is tight as any honest Colt should. Beside it, I saw two used Colt Agent and a 2" Trooper that were priced for 600 francs (520 $), a NIB SW M15 2" at the same level and a 4" nickel M27 with no label (for free for sure). Amoung other goodies, a Manurhin MR 73 (1650 francs/1450 $) and a Korth (4600 francs/4000 $) sharing the same table... by the way I have my name on another 5 1/4" MR 73, but it is another story and I'll write about it when it will be paid.

So I came home with the small Colt - my first wheelgun with a Pony - and still admire the graceful lines: the round muzzle, the elegant hammer, the nice wood grips and the long ramped sight (it has already recovered its original black color). Didn't had the opportunity to shoot it yet. Number is AD1106, if the grips are original, it must have been made in 1986.

Bye.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hello Larry!

Wow friend! What a great find! I hope you can post a picture of it or two when you get a chance.

I've never owned a Detective Special, but others in the Medium Frame line to include the Trooper MK11, Official Police, King Cobra and Python. Colt's are very special revolvers in my honest opinion!

To find a Detective Special in such pristine condition is really a great score and I am happy that you picked from what seemed to be among the best of prizes.

Best,

Chris

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy Larry,

I think you made a great find too sir. When you get the chance to shoot your newest lady, please give us a range report.

twoguns

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Hiya Larry!

Good find at an excellent price!

I have two Dick Specials: a pristine .32NP and a somewhat beat up .38 Special. Seriously cool guns and fun shooters.

Also have a couple more long ones in the same frame size. A 6" .32 Police Positive Target and two 4" Police Positive Specials.

Congrats!

Regards,

Pat

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all,

I'm very glad of the find. That DS is very nice and Colt wheelguns are new world for me. The DA pull is strange compared to S&W's, especially the stacking and locking of the cylinder at very moment of the hammer fall. Timing - and adjustment - must be critical on these pieces.

L.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hello Larry,

You are quite correct that the timing is very important in the lock up of Colt Revolvers and most of the work I have had done to the one's that I have previously owned involved the same issues.

However, with using standard power loads, the DS should last you a lifetime of shooting under normal conditions.

Again, kudo's to you on your fabulous aquisition! You've made several on this side of the Atlantic very jealous!

Take care,

Chris

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello all,

I had the opportunity to test the DS yesterday at the range. Took it along the 4" S&W M15, with 2 half boxes of Magtech 158 grs and Winchester 158 grs +P. The idea was to buy other Magtechs but the range was short of it and sold Fiocchi 158 grs instead. Limited my shooting to 10 m. DA. The long ramp post is elegant but really difficult to catch on a black silhouette target. First cylinder went to the high left, on the shoulder area. With better concentration, I managed to get 4-6" "groups" in the center - with a front sight still playing riddles. In these conditions, I didn't shot fast strings or doublettes. I might try with a narrow white tape on the sight. A serration job would be ideal though.

The smooth wood grips were a good surprise. The recoil is really manageable, even with the mighty Fiocchis and the not so terrible Winchester +Ps (I shot only one cylinder of each as I don't want to be rude). The flash is there but the gun neither turns nor kicks in the hand. Nothing comparable to .357s in a 2,5" S&W M19.

Next time, I hope that Magtechs or other gentle .38s will be avaible and may choose another target (with more white). I may test the DS again another CC piece in similar calibre, the Walther PP Super in 9 Police. In size, weight and concealability, the DS wins the first round hands up!

All in all, I'm really satisfied with the piece.

L.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts