Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting to look at gun safes and am a bit overwhelmed.

A number of the companies/dealers I've talked to so far go negative on each other very quickly.

I'm looking for a safe that will hold up to about a dozen longarms, with shelves for about half dozen handguns, as well as ammo boxes.

Have checked into Browning, Pentagon and American Security mostly.

American Security folks say with Browning you're just paying for the name. Pentagon folks say competition is built in China (I'd prefer to buy American) and/or inferior steel, design (such as welded rather than rolled steel box) and fire insulation (gypsum vs. ceramic), etc. Browning says all their safes are made in USA except Bronze line, and are rolled steel.

Don't know who or what to beleive. Money IS a factor.

Thanks.

Perp

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Again, Browning doesn't make anything of their own, so you are paying for the name.

American Security have a good reputation for what that is worth.

Like you I try REALLY REALLY hard NOT to buy Chinese made goods for politcal/moral/ethical reasons, so I would say shop wisely.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Browning cust svce told me all their safes made in Utah except Bronze line, which is made in China.

·
Registered
679 Posts
www.smithsecuritysafes.com

Doug treated me well 6 years ago when I purchased my safe, and still remembers me at the Gun Shows when he has his traveling trailer with him. Special Orders are welcome to meet your needs. He also advertises in Shotgun News and Gun List monthly. I receive lots of compliments when I show my safe to friends. It is not spoken well of when I moved it earlier this new to the new house with the help of 3 men.......

Wags

·
Registered
283 Posts
i like my Browning safe. the key is to buy the biggest and heaviest you can justify. also buy bigger than you currently need- your gun collection will grow. my main considerations buying a safe are that it be heavy, show decent workmanship in its construction, and has S&G lock.

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Hello,

Cannon does make a quality safe and the price seems fair.

A local Jewlery store owner let me check his safe out (sorry, don't remember the brand), but Man, this safes interior (while not fancy) would be Perfect for pistols. The safe was designed for Jewlers so it's full of adjustable full length & width shelfs that were spaced about 5" inches apart. If anyone is considering a pistol Only safe, you owe it to yourself to look at a Jewlers safe.

Althow alittle over priced, I want the safe Browning offers with the FN logo.

Take Care,
Bob

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Kinda like what was just said above- I like "non-gun" safes.
They are thicker, heavier, etc. When found used, the prices are usually competitive (or less) than "gun safes".
I've seen them advertised in the "Business Equipment" section od the classifieds.
Sometimes, if you watch carefully, you can find safes in businesses that are closing or remodeling.

·
Regulator,
3,441 Posts
Gents,

Check out used safes that have been drilled, due to being locked and combo forgotten. Got mine at Defense Property Disposal for a song. Had it rewelded and a new lock installed. Great safe...not pretty, but will hold about 12 long guns and as many pistol. Think I've got about $100.00 wrapped up in it....

All the best,

Wes

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will not suggest a safe, but I can tell you that I had HORRIBLE experience with Sportsmansteel Safe Co. The same folks also own and operate Pentagon Safe Co. I will not bore you with details, but the problem was twofold. Quality AND integrity of the company. If it hadn't been for my charging it on a VISA, they would have really gotten a big piece of me.
I was not as smart as you to check with others online first, but later found that MANY others had problems with both companies. If there is one lesson to be learned from this, it is to use a major credit card if you don't know the company with whom you are dealing. The major credit card companies carry a LOT OF CLOUT in making these companies "walk the line". If you get a bad company, the credit card company CAN and WILL help you a great deal.
Good luck and best regards,
Jeffro

1 - 10 of 10 Posts