Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to make this a pole, but I decided that it would be too easy to punch-and-go on that, and I really want to hear people's opinions on this one.

Anyway,

I was talking about wanting a J-frame on another Forum, and I basically came to the conclusion that I would pick one up, one day. The trouble is, I couldn't say what day, beyond the day that I find a good one, cheap. It's not that I don't want one that badly, but that I just can't afford the rather high price that S&W products tend to run, right now, on a college budget.

Now good, inexpensive guns are always out there, and represent, I would imagine, a large part of gun sales. Somehow, though, I don't think these are planned purchases, but are based, instead, on opportunity.

I mean, really -- Who here wouldn't dip into the money that they had been saving for a nice, shiny new 1911 or Hi-Power or one of those ineteresting new .45 GAP Glocks, if we ran into a discontinued gun like an old triple-lock in 95% original condition that some guy was willing to let go for only 200 dollars?

When I got to thinking about this, and realized how frequently good gun-buys actually come up, it gave me the idea that perhaps most gun purchases aren't the planned guns that we work toward, but convenience guns that we run into along the way, knowing that we would be making a mistake if we let pass us by. Further thought into this subject made me realize that if this is the case, then our planned guns aren't really planned at all -- they just happen to be what we buy when a convenience gun doesn't come up over a long enough period of time!

That said, I'd like to offer this advice: Don't make any big plans to pick up something expensive, unless you really need it. Instead, establish a gun-fund, and just keep your eyes open for good buys. Occasionally, you won't see one for a long time, and might find yourself with a lot of cash on your hands. When that day comes, dig around, and find one really nice gun that you'd really like to have, and settle for nothing less, even if you have to save a bit longer.

By doing this, you'll save yourself the stress of thoughts like "I'll never get that Ed Brown if I don't quit running into stuff like this old lady's garage sale and her $250 Remington Rand, or that $300 as-new-in-box Model 19 Combat Magnum I bought from my uncle last week," and if you think about it, these are really silly thoughts to have, anyway.

Do you think I'm on to something, here, or would we really all be better off if we just single-mindedly pursued exactly what we want?

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi there chubbypidgeon,

There is a lot of wisdom in what you have posted.

If I had saved all of the money that I have spent on 1911's over the past decade, I could have purchased both a Wilson CQB and Les Baer Premier II.

However, I usually plan to buy handguns based on what my anticipated needs are and sometimes, used firearms, because there is a short opportunity to do so.

When I bought my S&W 642, I went through 2 cycles of stocking whereas the one I wanted was bought by other customers. Apparently, the dealer had gotten a good deal on them from Davidson's Wholesaler's and they were priced about $150.00 down from MSRP. On the third and last time, I finally bought one because I just knew it would be awhile before they would be priced that low again!

On the other hand, I have bought several used firearms because they were just a one time deal and the opportunity would not be presented again, i.e. a used but excellent condition Mini 14 S/S ranch rifle.

All of that being said, I have become pretty much immune to impulse buying because I have to assess what I need vs. what I want to buy.

Thank you for the topic,

Chris

·
Registered
898 Posts
Most of the time I do my buying at gun shows rather than stores. Also, my basic battery of self-defense, competition, and plinking firearms is adequete these days, so I usually go to the shows without a specific agenda, and enough extra cash to make the trip worthwhile. (It makes no sense to me to go shopping for anything without the dough to make it happen.) At the very least I'll take along a gun I haven't been using as potential swapping material.

So I tend to go to these events with an open mind, often not looking for one particular thing on a mental "wish list."

·
Registered
720 Posts
gun dealers have to make a living by uping the price. If you have a dealer you know real well and have traded with him before here is what I do....
find best internet price on what you want, add shipping, add FFL fee and show that to your dealer friend....ask if he can get you that for that price "OTD". Many times it will work and you will save both the trouble of online ordering and some money too.
FWIW,
og....

good online shop for low prices is Bud's Gun Shop...use Google to find it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts