Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.
I picked up a browning 1922 and they have a pair of family picture grips.
does anyone have any info on these type grips? I haven't found anything as of yet.
thanks for any help.

G

·
I've never seen such an item. It may be somebody's home-made grips out of clear acrylic (Plexiglass) with a photo underneath. I don't think that the grips were a commercial item.

Nonetheless, you have an interesting handgun. From the Navy uniform, civilian clothing and hairstyles, it looks to me to be a family photo from the 1940's.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi unkempt1,

I have heard and seen pictures on the 1911.org forum of WWII soldiers taking plexiglass from service aircraft and fashioning grips as you have shown. The photograph is a very interesting addition.

The grips appear to be hand made by a GI with some time on his hands. Very interesting and thank you for sharing them with us.

Chris

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Appreciate the help. I'll get around to taking it down this weekend and give a little more info.
I hadn't even thought about the grips being done by a GI.

interesting for sure.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi unkempt1,

I'll try and find a link to the post on the 1911.org forum, but I am very certain that the poster maintained that the grips were GI engineered from salvaged plexiglass.

Chris

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would appreciate the link. I been searching pretty heavily and so far come up with nothing but this thread.

thanks again

Hi unkempt1,

I'll try and find a link to the post on the 1911.org forum, but I am very certain that the poster maintained that the grips were GI engineered from salvaged plexiglass.

Chris

·
Registered
40 Posts
I believe some novelty pocket knives from well before WWII had pictures beneath clear scales, but the family photo thing seems to have been more popular with troops in WWII. A friend of mine who collects "theater knives" made by servicemen has encountered a number of these. Handles are usually made from aluminum, bakelite, micarta, lucite, and other synthetics that were the latest technology of the day. Though I can't be sure from the photo, I believe the grips on your gun are actually Lucite rather than plexiglass. Lucite seems to stay extremely clear over this much time while plexiglass doesn't...

Here's some of my friend's knives:

http://forums.swordforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=34969&d=1111119690

Butt of reworked KaBar:

http://forums.swordforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=34960&d=1111117318

1 - 9 of 9 Posts