Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What grips came from the factory on the Model 28. Some time ago Had a 6 inch ex Va State police that had Pachmayrs. I thought they were aftermarket grips. Bough a 4 inch Yesterday marked NYSP that also has Pachmayrs.

In that period Pachmayrs were probably the most common aftermarket grip but I wonder if S&W shipped them that way.

Boats

·
Registered
399 Posts
The model-28 was the working mans gun. Many a police officer carried these. They came from the factory with Walnut Magna or Target stocks/grips from the factory. Some where changed out for goodyears by different departments. There may have been speical orders also if so they are not listed. Hope this helps you.

Best,Baldy

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It does thanks a lot. Am not a collector bought it to shoot IDPA revolver class. Want to set the pistol up original. Thinking about standard S&W non target grips and add a Tylers T Grip. Always liked them. Also go for an El Paso Saddlery holster and speed loader carrier. Probably not going to be much of a competitor but will look good anyway.

It's a nice pistol, had a 6 inch years ago and forgot how well they work. This one locks up like a bank vault door. Action single or double is smooth as it's possible to be. At nearly 3 pounds with 38 target loads it ought to handle like a 22. Will see.

Boats

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It does thanks a lot. Am not a collector bought it to shoot IDPA revolver class. Want to set the pistol up original. Thinking about standard S&W non target grips and add a Tylers T Grip. Always liked them. Also go for an El Paso Saddlery holster and speed loader carrier. Probably not going to be much of a competitor but will look good anyway.

It's a nice pistol, had a 6 inch years ago and forgot how well they work. This one locks up like a bank vault door. Action single or double is smooth as it's possible to be. At nearly 3 pounds with 38 target loads it ought to handle like a 22. Will see.

Boats

·
Registered
321 Posts
Hi Boats,

I've got one like yours, 6" with the walnut "service" grips. It is a real pleasure to shoot with 38 wadcutters - just like you say, virtually no recoil. Just be sure to clean the chambers good after shooting 38 in it. I believe it offers everything that the 27 does except the high polish finish (and, of course, the higher price tag.)

PGM

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Boats, my 2nd gun was a S&W Model 28 Highway Patrolman 4". It came with standard non-target grips. I added a Tyler T Grip and carried it may a mile that way. Pachs were very popular in the 1970s and 1980s on most police guns. Your 28 will shoot full power 125 grain 357 mags like a champ. Practice your speed loading techniques. See you at the match!

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy Mr. Boats,

I have been trying to recall, and I beleve Mr. Oberstlt is correct. The first handgun I ever purchased was a 4" m28, as my first duty weapon. Mine came with the standard, non target stocks. Soon I went first to the target stocks, and then moved over to Pachmayrs. There is a great many positives with the model 28 in my mind.

If the factory ever shipped any out with Pachmarys on them, I think it was indeed a special order. All I have ever seen NIB in gunstores had either the standard or target stocks. I owned both a 4" and 6" in the past. I could be wrong, but my best recollection was the 4" came with standard stocks, and the 6" came with the target grips.

Luckily, if the creek does not rise on me, tomorrow I will be meeting with my first boss for the officer I transferred to in southern AZ in 98. While on my last visit, he mentioned he had a rarely fired model 28-2, 4" he needed to find a good home for. He wanted to purchase something else with the money selling the m28 would give him, if he could find a good home. When I got through grinning, I told him it had already found a good home. I just would not take it home until I brought him the money on Friday.

When I get my hands on this model 28, it may be buried with me, lol. But it sure will not be sold like two previous ones have been.

twoguns

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, When it rains it pours.

Had been looking for a 4 inch 28 for some time and bought this one Tuesday. Today one of the guys that had his eye out for me called and said he saw a 4 inch 25-5 chambered in 45 LC Had a look and now own both It also has Pach's

I am going to fit both up with the factory standard grip and add T grips. The revolvers are identical to each other except for the larger hole in the 45, roll stamps, and of course the 25 has a higher polish. The ought to be able to share the same Holster.

The guns are shooters with some honest wear. they should fit into the two IDPA revolver classes. The 28 could be pushing the weight limit though. The plan is to classify in all 5 IDPA classes. That's a lot easier than shooting one well.

Boats

·
Registered
399 Posts
Mr Boats it looks like your M-25-5 was made between 1978 and 1982 and it came with Walnut checkered stocks. The .45Colt is one fine shooting caliber and a lot of fun to hunt with. Good luck to you in the IDPA.

Best, Baldy.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy Mr. Boats,

Well sir, congrats again sir. You know if you are waterlogged now, and want to stay dry, just yell at me if you come across another pre-lock Smith 25/625 4 or 6 - I will be happy to keep you dry sir, lol.

A Smith in 45 Colt and 41 mag are probably the last 2 on my list of Smith revolvers to find. Maybe I will and maybe I won't. But the hunt is mighty fun anyway.

Congrats sir, and now it looks like you owe us 2 range reports. Enjoy them both, they are excellent examples of workmanship and quality in my view.

twoguns

·
Registered
932 Posts
twoguns, at times I think looking for that perfect specimen is more fun than actually finding and owning it. Two revolvers I spent quite a bit of time and even more cash for were a Smith 65-3" .357 and a model 58-4" .41 magnum. I found both of these a few times, none were the condition I wanted, now after buying those near perfect specimens, I find myself looking for other models. I'd enjoy a 625 .45 Colt and a 629. Either 4" or 6" short lug barrels will do.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Demented & 2 Guns

The Shop I bought the 25-5 from has a 4 inch blue 41 Mag with std sights, appears to be unfired. Not sure of the model number on 41's Picked it out of the case and told the owner it's almost what I am looking for. Then he pulls the 25-5 out of the back room. I think that's a selling tactic. He has a treasure trove of S&W's My intent to shoot IDPA revolver class is long term. Plenty to do with Automatics first.

But you have to get them when you see them. plus sold a couple of pistols lately and had the cash on hand. Good thing about this pair is they are shooters not collectors and were priced accordingly

Now have to shop around for all the other stuff required. On the LColt once I have it transferred in state will slug the barrel and see what kind of bullet it's going to need. Understand some of the newer ones have the same grove dim as 45 ACP's and shoot 452 cast bullets fine.

At the range yesterday found the 28 has a light hammer fall and did not ignite 100% Same lot of handloaded ammo with CCI primers through my S & W Victory model went off 100% Looking at the fired cases with a magnifier this morning you can see the difference in the two guns. Putting in a Wolf Spring order this morning.

Boats

·
Registered
645 Posts
Boats,

I'm a little late getting to the dance, but here is my 1967 28-2 [S277xxx] with magna diamond center checkered stocks that are numbered to it. For me, I want to keep it as is, I shoot full load .357 thought it 95% of the time and again for me it's pleasant to shoot. Besides my 1955 model pre-10 .38 [C303xxx] its my most accurate revolver at 25 yards; it shoots POA and I will never part with it unless its pulled from my cold dead hand.

1955 Pre-10

papabear

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pappabear that pistol is about perfect.

The 28 I used to have was a 6 inch and I only shot it at fairly long range single action. The factory target grip I switched back to was very suitable

IDPA requires double action to do well. The Pach's on the pistol require a long reach for double action firing. I have a 3 inch 36 that I wanted to keep original so use the factory grips with a Tyler's T grip adaptor. It fits my hand very well. Suspect if I can set these two pistols up with grips exactly like yours and add the T grip it will be the way to go. The factory standard grip gives a closer to the trigger hand positon with nothing bulking up behind the revolvers frame like the Pach's do. More fill in the gap in front of the frame with the Tylers than the Pachs provide as well

I have seen on Ebay and Auction Arms original grips are pretty expensive 50 bucks or so plus shipping. Am shopping them now

Boats

·
Registered
645 Posts
I have two 3" 36's, both RB's, one has the S&W Banana stocks and the other I have a set of Uncle Mike's finger grips. My wife really likes the nickle 3" so I put the original stocks back on for her. I need the larger stocks for my hands.

papabear

·
Registered
399 Posts
Oh me PapaBear shows up and the party really gets started. Now I'll be drooling all evening thinking of them beauty's he's got. I can't even find a 3" M-36 in my neck of the swamp. Good luck with them.

Best,Baldy.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Boats,

The problem 25's are the ones with .451 groove and .454 chamber mouths. Most have the .451-452 groove; its the chamber that really needs close checking.

Regards,

Pat

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
Boats, great score! The 25-5 is my favorite Smith.

I like nickel guns, and because my allowance is limited, I never thought I'd own a 28. Picked this 6" 28-2 up from an online auction. I don't think the finish is factory, but there is a possibility that it is. I have reason to believe there is a story here, and I'm waiting for The Letter from S&W. The grips are not numbered, but I believe it was delivered with them.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hoot,
Original finish or not, that is a fine looking revolver!! Please report back after you get Jinks' letter and let us know if there is a story.
Here's my 28-2 in 4" 1975 vintage........................

1 - 20 of 21 Posts