Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had decided, I swear it. I had decided I would opt for a Colt D-Frame. A DS most likely but a Cobra or Agent if I could find one for the right price. .38 Special was gonna be my caliber of choice, because I deemed the .32 and .380 Kel-Tecs just wouldn't do.

Then what does Kel-Tec go and do? http://www.kel-tec.com/pf9pr.htm A single stack 9mm pocket gun slightly larger and slightly heavier than a P3AT and almost exactly the size of a small framed snub-nosed revolver. Then they have the audacity to have it pack EIGHT rounds of 9mm?! How dare they!

Now I'm faced with an extreme problem...the new PF9 is due out in mid to late May and is priced at roughly a good used J-Frame or D-Frame. I like things simple and I already own a 9mm and I have a stock of various 9mm HPs already. I guess we'll see come mid-May what happens, but it certainly looks like my money may go to those boys at Kel-Tec if the PF9 is a winner.

Those darn Kel-Tec guys...always making life more difficult than necessary!

-Rob

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi Rob,

They also make a darned good product backed by the best customer service in the industry. I really enjoy my P3-AT and will take a hard look at the PF 9.

Chris

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
FWIW, if the new Kel-Tec is like all the other Kelgren designs introduced (going back to the Grendel P-10 .380 in 1988), it'll be March 2007 or so before the version with all the bugs worked out is available.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Poor Rohrbaugh.
I don't think I see this is a bad deal for Rohrbaugh. Rohrbaugh makes a very fine handgun, but it is expensive. People, like me, who are on a budget aren't even going to consider a Rohrbaugh or even a Kahr. The fact of the matter is the Kel-Tec is going to be looked at by people on a strict and limited budget.

Erich, yes many of the KT models have had teething problems initially. I'm not planning on buying until late November or Early December, hopefully by then many of the issues have been solved. I personally don't have a problem buying a handgun and having to tinker with it a bit. I would rather it be 100% out of the box, but I don't have a problem tackling possible problems.

-Rob

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Rob, I think you're wise to wait a while before picking up a new Kel-Tec. It never hurts to register and participate in the chatter at KTOG forums either. I feel quite sure that the new K-T model will work fine, eventually, but I'd hate to have to be part of the beta-test group that will buy the first, say, 10,000 that are released. :)

G

·
Poor Rohrbaugh because up until now, they had the market cornered. The fact is that there were people who were going to spend way more than they would normally budget for a gun, so that they could have a 9mm in a package that tiny.

Now, these people no longer have to do that. What's more, I'll bet money that the Kel-tec's takedown and cleanup will be infinitely simpler than the R9's, which will push a lot of the High-dollar people in that direction.

Think about it; How many people do you know who own, carry, and shoot Glocks just because they're mind-numbingly simplistic, even though their budget would allow them to own Wilson COmbat 1911s, or Custom Novak Hi-Powers.

Rohrbaugh will continue to own the conspicuous consumer market, but they just lost the practicality crowd, in a big way.

Personally, if I were looking at a pocket 9, I might still go for the Rohrbaugh, though, because I've never been a fan of the Kel-Tec's trigger.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Personally, if I were looking at a pocket 9, I might still go for the Rohrbaugh, though, because I've never been a fan of the Kel-Tec's trigger.
My understanding is that Kel-Tec has worked on the trigger of the PF9 (according to a few who have dry-fired the weapon). Reports say it is the best KT trigger yet..only time will tell if it makes it to the retail market.

Chubby, I'm still not sure Rohrbaugh will suffer too much from this new Kel-Tec. Certainly, I want a pocketable 9mm, but Kahr had already come to the table with the PM9. Rohrbaugh is building a gun for the truly discrimination buyer. I wish I could afford an R9, but alas I simply haven't the money. I believe that many folks moved away from the Rohrbaugh the instant the price was set and moved back to old compromises, P32s, P3ATs, and Snubbies.

-Rob

·
Registered
103 Posts
I really don't see the big deal according to the
Measurements on the Kel-tec page the P9 is the same
size as the p11 just a tad slimmer ::) It may help a
little but not much.

Gil.

G

·
Gil, slimness is THE deciding factor in ease of pocket carry with an auto.

Take, for instance, the Beretta Tomcat .32, a gun that would be exceptionally easy to carry, except for one thing: It's too darn fat! It has every other feature that makes for a good carry gun, but most people will tell you that they consider the tomcat almost uncarryable because of it's ridiculous width.

It might not seem like much, but every tiny bit of width that you remove from an automatic increases ease of carry, especially pocket carry, by an order of magnitude.

G

·
I don't think that's possible. The pressure of the 9x19mm round is pretty high. If they thin the chamber walls much more, then there will be problems.

They may decide to chop the grip a bit, but that's all I can imagine.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi there,

I have owned all 3 models of the Kel Tec P-32, P-3AT and P-11. I never really had problems with any of them except the P-32 which took some time to break in.

The P-11 has a really heavy trigger pull! If Kel Tec re-engineers the trigger pull on the PF-9, than they are really going to have a home run! Kel Tec has learned alot from its consumer base and does watch the KTOG forum. Member's there have been asking for a single stack 9mm for over a year and raising issues with the heavy P-11 trigger pull. Unfortunately, the heavy P-11 trigger pull is not something you can "home 'smith" very easily. If you lighten the trigger by shortening the spring too much, you can have problems with reliable ignition.

Rohrbaugh does have an upper end consumer market of folks that are buying the cadillac of pocket guns with superior fit and finish. My impression is that Kel Tec's customer base won't even touch Rohrbaugh's existing market.

Chris

·
Registered
76 Posts
I don't think the PF-9 will have much "teething problem" time.. My understanding is that a considerable part of the pistol is directly taken from the P11, and I think P11's problems have for the most part been long time solved. My P11 has been fantastic.

That said, I always prefer not to buy the first production "run, or series" of anything. It seems that almost every new product requires a period of adjustment for "debugging", and I'm sure the new KelTec pistol will be the same.

Lots of folks won't worry about that as they will want a low serial number, or just wants to be the first on the block to get the PF-9.

Another reason I will wait is for the excitement to die down, supply to increase, and discount pricing kicking in. You just know for the first few months after release they will be pricy.

Best Wishes,

JP

G

·
Well I like it just by looking at it ;)

Cant wait until it comes out. I hope that Larry's in Olympia gets one so I can handle it.

G

·
I'm planning on picking up one too. I have a Colt DS that I occationally ankle carry, but it's just too heavy for pocket use. I have a P32 for that, that's been 100% since I bought it. I do want a 442 eventually tho, but I'll hold out for a nice no-lock model.

G

·
I really like Kel-Tec's products, but hate the P11's heavy trigger pull. Apparently the new gun is going to have a trigger designed after the P3AT, so it's looking like the PF9 is going to be a slimmer version of the P11 with a much better trigger. I really looking forward to its introduction and hope that it does come out in May as promised.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
This post and the gun interested me quite a lot at first, and now that I've actually purchased a Kel-Tec, I'm even more interested. I'll probably own one of these within the next year or so.

Sigh...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts