Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. On this site and many others, discussion usually focus on the merits of one design to another, one maker's quality vs. the other's, or discussions of the pros and cons of various calibers. Some go strictly with the "form follows function" approach, particularly with "serious" firearms, but what about guns that simply appeal to the eye of the beholder?

I thought it might be interesting to see which firearms our folks find to be good looking. These don't have to be practical or even in "effective" calibers, just a gun that you find to have appealing looks.

Post pictures if you have them (640 x 480 max), but just tell us what you like if you don't.

This Walther PP 380 ACP is a gun I've owned for decades. I don't shoot it very much as I get "slide bite" from it, but there's something in its classic looks that won't let me get rid of it for something more useful.

For me, the P35 Hi Power, be it in classic or current Mk III configuration remains an example of artistic lethal lines. This is one that I find both beautiful and useful.

To me the older S&W revolvers not only look good but work good in most instances. This Model 28 has that classic S&W panache that is just there. Other examples could include the Model 10, Model 19, Model 27, and 29. For me, these S&W's just have the "right look" for a DA revolver.

The 1911 in one form or another is also a thing of beauty to my eyes. I wish I owned an old 1930's vintage example. Those that I've seen had unbelieveable bluing, checkered trigger faces, hammers, and backstraps. That said, I find some examples of current manufacture to be good looking as well.

Other firearms that I find visually appealing are the old Mauser bolt-actions as done by Mauser and others as hunting rifles, but I have no pictures on these. Likewise, I find the old Artillery Lugers, Mauser C96 "broomhandles", and Colt Single-Action Army revolvers easy on the eyes, though I cannot shoot a "Matt Dillon pistol" worth a darn! Some may find it unusual but I think the lines of the FN FAL battle rifle to be elegant.

The closest I can come to the old commercial sporting Mauser bolt-actions is this CZ chambered in .30-'06.

Though I also find them quite useful and reliable, for me the Pre-B CZ-75 pistols are very pleasing to the eye.

How about you? What firearms do you find good looking?

Best.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Some favorite for looks (I once owned the first two, and stupidly let them go):

2 1/2 inch barreled Model 19.
Colt Woodsman Match Target.

Never owned, but often lusted after:

3 1/2 inch barreled Model 27 with magna grips.
Six-inch barreled Python (there's also a pic of a three-inch Python on the Colt forum with the smaller service grips that is pretty scrumptious).
Colt Model M .32 (after the change to 3 3/4 inch barrels).

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello. Yes, yes, and yes! I forgot the Colt Woodsman pistols. I also think the old Hi-Standard Sport King was a good looking (and very useable) .22 pistol.

Best.

G

·
Well, here's the deal. I guess I'm peculiar. I love a deep, perfect blue, as much as anybody, but I also love "real" guns. I like 'em with holster wear, scratches in the finish, and nicks in the stocks. They're not as pretty, but guns like that have a story.

When a gun like that lands in my lap, I always have to wonder what it's seen and done.

As to what models I like, well, my all-time favorite, for looks, is the 2.5" S&W model 19. Just can't beat it.

The classic 1911 is another personal favorite, and of course, the Hi-Power. The CZ-75 is always nice, too. The IMI/Magnum Research "Baby Eagle" clone of this gun is a particular favorite of mine, as is the 97B, especially pre forward slide serrations, though I feel that the ones they've recently added to that gun are a bit more tasteful than most.

Actually, I just remembered another old Smith that I tie with the 19 for my all-time number one: The Schofield revolvers.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello and thanks for your reply. I do not find honest wear and honorable "battle scars" as degrading the looks of the working gun or "serious" hangun. To me, they sort of add "character."

Best.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I agree about their battle scars. They probably could tell us all some amazing stories.

I guess I just lean towards the pleasing lines of a working gun too. So my list of favorites (not in order) would include the 1911, BHP, CZ75, Sig 226, Smith model 19, Colt SAA (or well made clones), a Remington 870, and a nice Winchester lever in 45 Colt to match my SAAs.

For a mechanical device I see as a very useful tool, it always amazes me the pleasure its use can produce too.

Interesting question - thanks.

twoguns

G

·
Mr. Camp certainly has an affection for and an appreciation of the classics which very closely mirrors mine: The pre-war Walther pocket autos, the Hi-Power, Smith revolvers, commercial Mauser rifles, the M1911 (although I think that it's overly deified) and the neo-classic CZ-75. (I think we were born 30 or 40 years too late. But, hey. These guns are "out there" in used-gun-land for everybody to buy and appreciate.) Top-name handguns of the pre-war and early post-war era were made to a no-compromise standard as far as quality. If you couldn't afford one, too bad. You could then always by a Harrington & Richardson, an Iver Johnson or some such.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I would add the Colt Det. Special to your list-no barrel shroud/early model. Great list. Oh, and the Mannlicher-Schoener carbine-full length stock, "butter knife" bolt handle. How about A. H. Fox 20 ga. SXS-light engraving ("A" mod.), early production (1908).....................

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I forgot one too. The Remington model 700 PSS in .308. When you see that sniper rifle coming out of its case, you know both the situation and the person holding it are serious. Artistically it is simply a plain Jane for sure. But when it is time to perform, very few can surpass it.

twoguns

·
Registered
502 Posts
No quarrel with any of the ones named. I will add the Ruger Vaquero in stainless with bisley hammer & 3 1/2" barrel. Also the Browning .22 take down rifle, preferrably highly factory engraved (gave one to my son too soon!). Fun topic, Stephen.
Regards & Merry Christmas to all. G>M>F>

G

·
Also the Browning .22 take down rifle, preferrably highly factory engraved (gave one to my son too soon!).
Yeah. You shoulda willed it to him.

I've had one since 1968 or 69. (It so amazes me that everybody goes nuts over the Ruger 10-22 while this unique, compact, well-balanced, fast-handling, high-quality .22 auto is ignored. But it's the same people that are into "plastic fanta . . . ." I just won't go there.)

·
Registered
502 Posts
Well, Alan, you know how it goes--"too soon oldt und too late schmardt" ;) At least he still has it & much appreciates the gift :) Regards, G>M>F>

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Edit- Rats! I re-sized the pics, but they're still big.

The HiPower always looked racy to me.
I still think my first one is prettiest. There is a lot finish wear, and the grips are almost worn smooth, but it looks good to me:

I think 1911s are good looking guns also. The earlier the styling the better. Colt WWI Repro:

Walther's PP Series has that slick 1920's streamlined look.
Here's my .22 caliber PPK-L. The "L" is for Lightweight. It has an alloy frame.

A lot of .22 autos are nice looking. The Woodsman is probably the prettiest, but I seem to accumulate High-Standards. The Victor is far from their sleekest model, but this picture was handy:

I think the Ruger Bearcat is cute:

My favorite .22 rifle has to be the Browning takedown semi-auto:

Winchester 52 Sporters are up there too. This one is a little hacked up, but I still like it:

The HK P7 is perhaps a funny looking thing, but it's as good an example of form following function that I can think of. I can't imagine it looking any different.

The S&W 27 3-1/2" barrel is one of the most serious looking guns ever.
I think the M1 Garand is pretty also, in it's own way.
The Winchester 1892 always looked good to me:

They may not have the graceful lines of a 20 gauge SXS, but I like the Ithaca 37 shotgun:

G

·
I think these are attractive:

Sig Sauer P232SL
HK P7 PSP, P7M8 hardchromed
Sig P210
Beretta 92FS
Colt Single Action Army
Ed Brown Executive Carry in stainless
FN Hi Power
High end engraved O/U and SxS shotguns

·
Registered
361 Posts
Savage 99
Mannlicher Schoener Model 1903
1903 Springfield
Winchester Model 70 Pre-64 standard weight
Pre-war Smith & Wesson fixed sight N-Frame revolver with shrouded ejector rod
Hi-Power
Luger
Winchester Model 12 Skeet Grade
High grade SxS shotguns

·
Registered
88 Posts
What about the older SAKO Bolt Action Rifles with Bofor steel barrels? Classic beauty and amazing out of the box accuracy.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Great thread! We need more appreciation of practical beauty - I can't disagree with any posted so far.

While this particular gun is pretty rasp-y, I've always liked the lines of the SIG-Sauer P232s:

(Re-sized, just for H&A viewers! :))

The mid-sized Beretta blowbacks are attractive and have delightful triggers:

http://www.fotki.com

I love a S&W revolver, especially a svelte K-frame:

Although a chunky N-frame has something, too:

Who can argue on the Hi-Power?

Hosted on Fotki

And this little 9x19 is a gem:

Hosted on Fotki

1 - 20 of 26 Posts