Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been researching semi-auto pistols vigorously for the past couple months, in anticipation of buying one in about three months. After holding dozens of guns in gunshops, and firing a few styles I haven't used previously, I've settled on the Sig P229 in .40 S&W. The "runners up" were the SA Mil-Spec 1911, the FN Hi Power in .40, and the SA XD40 Service. I'm only buying one gun, and want it for range, home defense, and eventually, CCW. I'm a lefty with small hands, FWIW. Your input is welcomed!

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Hello. I think that it was Jeff Cooper who said that the "service pistol" is probably the most useful overall and I tend to agree. This type handgun can be used for home protection, range trips, plinking, hunting, and self-protection. They can be had in calibers more potent than the majority of
really compact handguns and are easier for most to shoot well.

While this general purpose type of handgun might not be the first choice for the Camp Perry target shooter, or the person wanting a gun for deep concealment, it can certainly be used for informal target work and certainly for plinking, competition, and protection. With a bit of effort the service handgun can be carried concealed and some serious folks carry nothing smaller.

Your choice might not be mine nor visa-versa and after some extended time shooting the gun, etc, you may decide that it wasn't the best for you either, but then again it might just be perfect. The nice thing is that while not cheap, a majority of handgun types can be tried without breaking the bank.

Good luck and if not too much trouble, please advise as to your observations when you get the opportunity to use the gun at length.

Take care and best.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Your choice in the Sig makes sense to me. However, I'd be a bit concerned, concerning your lefty status. Have you examined Glocks? They're more ambi friendly. I also note you've chosen .40 S&W a great cartridge for your supposed "do everything" gun. I wouldn't discount other calibers though. 9mm in my humble opinion is a great "do everything" cartridge, accurate, reliable, powerful, and affordable. .45 is much the same only more expensive. .40 is an excellent compromise in that respect.

For "do everything" guns though, I think I'd lean towards a .357 Magnum revolver. Easy to carry, lefty friendly, easy to shoot, practice ammo is cheap. Most are very accurate, make fine home defense guns, especially to train the ladies and kids on, and as said they're easy to carry.

These are of course my opinions and most people wouldn't accept my opinion as payment anywhere.

Good luck and good shooting!

-Rob

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi there,

Ergonomic's, shootability and concealibility have often been my major points when faced with a similiar position as you.

I made a similiar decision many years ago and searched for a "do all" handgun and selected my my purposes something completely different than what you have selected in the same caliber, .40 S&W, but different platform. If the SIG is your choice, it is an excellent choice.

Let us know what you wind up with and what your shooting impressions are in the form of a range report. We would all enjoy hearing from you.

Chris

·
Registered
59 Posts
I had the same problem. In our country is very hard to buy more than one gun (strange country laws...)...
I needed a gun for selfdefence, target shooting and backup for hunting. I cannot buy three different guns because the law.
My choice was Smith&Wesson 686, 4" .357magnum

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Carolinaman,

What .40 pistol did you end up buying for your "do it all"?

Darrell

The only thing "against" the Sig was un-lefty friendly controls, but as I've used 1911s in the past, I could operate the controls with no problems.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi there dwmilton,

A Glock M-23 in .40 S&W.

The reason is because when I first took my first CWP course here in SC in the mid-nineties, you were expected to carry the handgun that you qualified with. I had a lot of experince with 1911's and revolvers of all frame sizes. I didn't want to carry the 1911 all of the time and preferred the rugged simplicity of the Glock.

The G-23 was the best balance of ergonomics, magazine capacity and shootability for me.

I had limited experience with Ruger Auto's, Sigs and S&W auto's at the time, but had shot the Glock as a range rental handgun in .45 ACP and 9mm. I could manage the sharp recoil of the .40 S&W in the Glock at the time.

I still own it, but the CWP laws have changed and I can carry any handgun now.

Chris

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All 4 are great guns, but i"m surprised the Sig fit your small hand. It doesn't fit mine. Good luck.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
2rott,

My smallish hands caused a few nice guns to be ruled out. On the Glock 23 and Ruger P345 (I really liked both), the mag release buttons rubbed/"bit" on my hand, at the base of my index finger. The Glock also tended to point up high when I practiced sight pictures with it. The H&K USP trigger had too long a reach, and I didn't feel comfortable with the leverage I had with the amount of finger tip that reached. The 1911 and FN HP had great trigger feel, since they're SA with a short reach. The Springer XD, Bersa Thunder, and Sigs had triggers that fell right at the first joint; comfy to squeeze. I've also learned that Sig offers a "short" trigger that will make the reach a tad shorter. FWIW, the second pistol I owned was a Ruger P85...holding a similar P89 recently I don't see how I liked the big fat grip on it...guess I just got used to it. Then again, the 9mm felt like a .22 recoil-wise, after replacing my Delta Elite.

·
Registered
321 Posts
DW,

You will have good luck with the Sig; you can hardly go wrong. However, I would never admit to having found the "do everything" gun though, at least to a spouse or significant other!

I am a BHP fan, as are many others on this site, so we would be interested in what you did not care for about the .40 BHP...thanks in advance.

PGM

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
PGM,

I actually liked the FN HP I "felt up" quite a bit. The Sig seemed like it may carry better having a barrel just under 4", even though it is thicker than the HP. Another reason is that at this time, for this purchase, I'll have an unusualy large (for me) amount of money available. I may not have as good a chance to purchase a Sig down the road. If, by chance I can't find a good deal on a used P229 when I get my money, I'll be all over a HP. Also (touche car541) I'm already thinking ahead as to how I can get enough money to get a HP like the one I saw. It was was a bright polished blue .40 with nice checkered wooden grips.

D.

·
Regulator,
3,441 Posts
Gents,

You threw me for a loop. I considered a "do everything" pistol to include shooting and anchoring some rather large critters. If that's the case I'd opt for my S&W M-57 .41 mag with a 4" barrel. My next choice would be my Colt Anaconda 4" .44 Mag.

If we are talking purely self defense, plinking, etc., the choice becomes less clear. To damn many good choices.
You choice of the Sig 229 .40 is a darn good one. In the Sig line I'd probably go for the Sig 220.
My personal favorite for carry is my Stainless 1911 Combat Commander.
Have carried Glocks and Hi-Powers. Both have performed admirably.
Some advice: Try a CZ-75B The ergonomics are great for us small hand guys, they come with ambidextrious safety, can be carried "cocked and locked" or traditional DA/SA mode. Choice of 9mm or .40, numerous finish options, AND you'll probably save a couple hundred over the SIG. Enough for some nice leather.

Just my .02 worth.

Wes

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
My 2 centimes,

For a "do everything gun", I would go either with a 4'' revolver or a "middle size" pistol like the HP, the CZ 75, the Beretta 92 "Compact", the Glock 19 or the Colt Commander. These have enough barrel and sighting line to shoot fine on target sessions and align well on defense drills. Beretta 92s or Governments are to large and heavy in my opinion if carry is among the "do everything" options.

If the "do everything" project implies less gun, I would go the more gun way - I mean one gun but a quality one from a good maker. Looks like bargains can be found on the US used market.

Bye.

L.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Figure out a way to buy an FN HP in 40 before CDNN and Reed1911 (they both take credit cards) run out of stock. The prices are so good that you can always sell it later if you really want a Sig or whatever. poppy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If I can get off work at a respectable hour today, I'll try to wander by the local gunshop & check out a CZ75. I think I may have seen one, but don't recall "feeling it up".

D.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I, also, have small hands and find that the HP in 9mm works best for me, even with +P+ loads. Now, I tend to be of the old school that follows the idea, "If it ain't broken, don't fix it". That is what I think the 40SW round is, a fix for something that is not broken. I will state, up front, that I have never fired a Sig and that I do not like Glocks. The HP has the beauty and the reliability that no other gun, save the 1911, has. Just my two cents worth.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts