Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there all,

After a short work day, I stopped by the gun shop to peruse the used gun counter. (I rarely see anything "new" these days that I am truly interested in!)

The salesman came over and handed my a .44 magnum S&W Model 629-1 in near pristine condition with a 6"tube and whispered I'll make you a special deal!

So, I leaned over and asked him, "how good?" He replied $425.00 out the door including tax!

I stopped and thought, "if I bought a new 629 the price would be close to $800.00 MSRP!"

I am thinking hard on this one folks....

Is it a good deal?

Chris

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I'd buy it if I had the money.

That is, I'd buy it if I had the money and didn't have a .44 Magnum. I have several, so I'd probably pass. If you don't have one, or if you need another, that would be a good one to have.

G

·
MODEL 629
- .44 Mag./.44 S&W Spl. cal., N-frame, 6 shot, similar to Model 29, available with 4, 6, or 8 3/8 (disc. 2002) in. barrel, satin stainless finish, current production uses Hogue rubber combat grips, 41.5-49.5 oz. New 1979.
Grading
100% 98% 95%
$550 $470 $335 MSR $787

Add $23 for 6 in. barrel or $39 for 8 3/8 in. barrel (disc.).
Add $52 for combat grips with barrel scope mount (cut across barrel rib) - disc. 1991 (8 3/8 in. barrel only).
Add 10% for pinned barrel with recessed cylinder.
During 1978, approx. 100 pre-production revolvers were made with pinned barrels and recessed cylinders, serial range is N629,062-N629,200, includes wood box. Prices range from $650-$750, depending on condition.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi there Leland and TLEE,

Leland. At present, I don't have a 629 or a .44 magnum. While I have owned N-frames, it is just one of those "its too good of a deal to pass up" situations. However, I usually reason "will I shoot enough to justify owning it?" Tough decision. Most of replies I have gotten from the S&W forum would indicate that it is a great deal! I am suprised no one has asked me for the name and address of the store...yet!

TLEE. Thank you so much for the pricing information. Again, I would grade the 629 in about 99% condition and with the added 6 inch barrel and Magna Grips (original) put it in at least the $525.00 range!

Again. Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
134 Posts
definetely buy it, that's a great price!
If you find it's not for you, you can easily roll it over for a bit more.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi EffEnn,

The real nagging part is "do I want to tie money up in something I may not ever use?" I don't handgun hunt anymore, sillouette shoot and reload to make shooting it cost effective.

I have about 2 hours to make a decision before the store opens.

Chris

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi there all and thanks for the replies.

Here's the update:

Well. I went into the gunshop on a break from work and put a deposit on it!!!! So, now it is mine!

I don't know why, but while at work I picked up my cell phone and speed dialed the shop and asked the sales guy if it had been sold and he replied, "no, I put it back for you...."

I told him I'd be there in an hour or so and went up the road.

The 629 is really in "like new" condition and I am happy of my decision. The magna grips have not a single ding or scratch on them and the metal is flawless. The recoil sheild doesn't even show any case marks from heavy shooting.

I will post some pictures when I pick it up.

Chris

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hi EffEnn,

The real nagging part is "do I want to tie money up in something I may not ever use?....

Chris
Funny you say this, as I came about my 629 the very same way....
I found a Gent on the Smith & Wesson forum that was looking for a trade. He was in need of a Model 16 in 32H&R. I had purchaesed the gun used about 3 years before and shot it once, [yes once] and put it in the back of the safe.
His offer, was to trade my 16 for a 629 Ranger; a gun I had never even seen in the Smith catalog.
I had sold my Redhawk about 5 years earlier, switching to 45 colt over the .44mag. When I saw the pic of the 629, I had to get it, because on the barrel lug was the factory inscription "one of three"

I traded fot the gun, and immediatly sent to Smith for a factory letter. I received the letter a month later, and sure enough it was "one of three", built for Gart Sporting goods in Co. It has also a laser engraved "texas Ranger" style star on the barrel, thus the "Ranger" nomenclature".

It came to me unfired, although the previous woner had dry fired it with snap caps enough to leave a slight ring on the cyl. [looks worse than it really is in the pic] and though some day I will shoot it, it was just another I had to just have.

good luck with your new find, I'm sure it will be one that will stay with you forever.

Best,

chris~

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Chris,

That is a very, very impressive looking 629!

The one I have laid-a-way has a 6" barrel, red ramp front sight, micrometer adjustable rear sight and original Gongalo Alves Magna Checkered Target Grips.

Yours is definately a "one of a kind" factory revolver that will never be seen in the market!

Chris

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi all,

I picked it up today. I was very happy to be able to bring it home and bought the usual accessories, i.e. ammunition, speedloader and case.

Based on the serial number, according to the Standard Catalog, it was manufactured in 1983.

Chris

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi there,

It might be a couple of weeks before I get around to posting a range report with my newly aquired 629-1! The local range hasn't reopened since an electrical fire last month.

As with many S&W N-frame .44 magnums I have seen over the years, this one appears to be in "unfired" condition gauging by the lack of carbon on the cylinder face and around the ejector rod bushing.

Many folks buy them and shoot a limited amount of rounds through them because of the intimitating recoil and muzzle blast.

My 629-1 appears to have "suffered" the same fate and begs to be shot!

Chris

G

·
Hey, Chris. Maybe the moral of this story is it's time to start reloading again. .44 mg-lites are fun!

Max

P.S. Congrats!

G

·
Hi there all,

After a short work day, I stopped by the gun shop to peruse the used gun counter. (I rarely see anything "new" these days that I am truly interested in!)

The salesman came over and handed my a .44 magnum S&W Model 629-1 in near pristine condition with a 6"tube and whispered I'll make you a special deal!

So, I leaned over and asked him, "how good?" He replied $425.00 out the door including tax!

I stopped and thought, "if I bought a new 629 the price would be close to $800.00 MSRP!"

I am thinking hard on this one folks....

Is it a good deal?

Chris
In kali, you wouldn't be asking....... you would be unconscious from the ten guys who trampled you to buy it before you did.

Prices vary by region, but I don't know anyplace that wouldn't be abargian for a choice specimen.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi bountyhunter,

Now, I buy "older" pre-owned S&W handguns. I am very nostalgic about buying handguns built before the time of the newer alloy's (titanium and scandium) and when they were built one revolver at a time.

There are a couple of older revolvers sitting in the display case including a M-19 and K-22 that are waiting for me.

My dealer has me on his list of folks to call when an older revolver makes an appearence into the store.

Chris

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Hiya Chris,

What vintage K-22?

They are really fun pieces. I think you need a K-22.

Yup

Regards,

Pat :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts