Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner

Glock or 1911 .45 ACP

10K views 34 replies 12 participants last post by  davejames 
#1 ·
Hello. Another thread prompted this one:

If you could only use one for self-protection, which would it be: A Glock (full size or compact) or a 1911 pattern pistol (5", Commander size, or compact)?

Even if your personal defensive choice is neither, between these two designs, which would it be?

You would still be free to make changes to either pistol type, but it must be either a Glock or a 1911 type handgun.

Keep it civil and only on these the two designs mentioned.

Thanks in advance.

Best.

G
#2 ·
'Hello all,

Many might say "I love my 1911 but the Glock is more reliable." My Kimbers haven't let me down yet and I'd have to go with my Custom CDP II. The superior accuracy and feel win hands for me against the Glock.

G
#3 ·
As much as I hate to say it, the glock.

My first carry gun was a Smith and Wesson highway patrolman 357. It was basically flawless: wonderful cartridge, always went "Boom" when I pulled the trigger, accurate, etc. The only down side ewas that it was somewaht suceptable to corrosion on rainy nights.

Anyway, eventually I decided that the wheelgun should be replaced by an automatic (primarily, truth be told to allow the installation of night sights) I then had my 1911 resighted and bought all of the various holsters, magazine pouches, etc. In this trade I went from 6 rounds of .357 magnum to 8 rounds of 45 ACP. (the debate as to which is a more potent package rages on and will not be addressed by me) Anyway, I still felt that the weapon would do it's job as long as I did mine.

The 45's (3 of them) were never 100% reliable, there is always some debate as to which magazines are best, which extractor tension to use etc, the reason for this is that the guns don't always work, and although they shoot well when they are running, they are finicky. (when was the last time you saw someone selling Beretta 92 magazines with newly designed feed lips to ensure proper feeding, or aftermarket SIG extractors?)

Oddly enough, at the time of this switch, my total ammunition load went down. I went from 6x 357's in the gun, 12 x 357's in speed loaders, and 12 x 38's two speedstrips to: 8x 45 in the gun and 14x 45 in two magazines (in both cases I had a 38 chief's special as a backup).

Later on, I switched to a Sig 226 for 5 reasons:

1: I can put a light on it and still holster it
2: It is absolutely reliable, out of the box
3: The 357 SIG is as close As I can get to my old model 28 without switching back to a revolver.
4: it still has night sights
5: more ammunition (both in the gun and on the belt)

I also have a glock 31 which displays the same characteristics as my SIG, and it still lighter than the 45. therefore, I would take the Glock.

I still hate to say it............ :(

#4 ·
Good topic!!!

Hands down, my choice would be the Glock!
After owning numerous 1911's for years and finally building two of my own, I would definately have to say the Glock.
I've owned the Officer's ACP, Commander and several variations of the Government Model by Colt and they are all great guns, but the Glock is just plain lighter and more reliable with fewer parts to break.
Asthetically, Glocks don't invoke the the pride of ownership a nickle or highly blued 1911 does. Nor due to its relatively recent entry on the handgun scene have collectors flocking to aquire them.
From a practical point of view, my Model 23 is about the best balance for carry, concealment and ergonomics for a consistant grip.
"Out the box" the Glock does what it is billed to do.
Now...let me go polish on those other pretty jewels in my collection

G
#5 ·
I'd go with the 1911 5" or 4" because:

My 1911 is very reliable.
Haven't shot enough with a Glock to acquire the "feel" for it.
I'll take thin and heavier over wide and light.
1911's are a lot of fun to shoot, which is important to me. That's the trigger pull quality, accuracy, feel, etc, etc.

For "compact" sized guns, I might have to switch over to the Glock side...not sure. I don't own a short 1911 and all the "chatter" on the internet scares me about their reliability. Good topic for future gun tests. ;)

G
#6 ·
Commander sized 1911. Simply the most natural feeling handgun for me. I'm not opposed to tweaking where, and if, neccessary. My Colt Combat Commander had its share of reteething issues when I got it 3 years ago - it is now stone cold reliable with every load I've tried in recently.

That said, I recognize that for the vast majority of people, Glocks enter the arena at a great price, and offer "Glock Perfection". For myself, that has not been the case. I have physically broken every single Glock I've fired - I just don't come close anymore. It kind of irritates me, as I'd like an inexpensive high cap in a variety of calibers, and Glock delivers. I just seem to have an aura that destroys them ;_;

I'll stick to my 1911's, I may have to fiddle with them to get them where they need to be, but when they make it to my hip, they're good to go.

Anthony

G
#7 ·
I would have to go with the 1911. I have only shot one two Glocks and both were in 10mm. I liked it alot and will eventually get a Glock but first I'm getting into the 1911. Quicker sight picture, better trigger, and the feel are my reasons. Besides the fact that 1911's can be very reliable.

clipse

#8 ·
Hello,

I would take a Full Size 1911 in a heartbeat over a Glock.

Take Care,
THE SOCKMAN

#9 ·
Mr. Camp,

I would have to say 1911 as long as litigation was not involved as I would be pinning the grip safety.

I would want to get the pistol back on target as quickly as possible, and I cannot do that with polymer. I am also used to riding the safety for control.

I'd have to reshape the trigger guard however, as hook my weak hand around it for even more control.

Josh <><

G
#10 ·
Sir,

If I can squeeze two threads together without offense, you will always be Sgt. Camp to me. (And/or Sir). :)

While there is absolutely nothing wrong with a Glock, I don't own any.

I do carry a pistol for defense, both at work and off. I choose the 1911.

MB

#11 ·
Well I spied a used Glock 21 in the gunshop today and talked the guy down to $365.00 / plus tax for it. I am going to pick it up tomorrow. ;)
Outside of some surface scratches on the slide (surface of the tennifer finish). I am going to take it and my Colt Combat Target to the range for a match up.
Now all I have to do is figure out how to touch up the scratches....hah, hah, hah! ::)

G
#12 ·
I own a Glock and a Springfield 1911. I'd take the Glock hands down. I've found the Glock to be by far more reliable that the 1911. The Glock weighs less, which makes a difference in the long haul, and the capacity of the Glock has its advantages as well.

G
#13 ·
My carry guns have all been to Teddy Jacobson & and are very reliable. I have been lucky a been able to afford the insurance.

Out of the box it might have be a Glock

I like the feel of my 1911 & basically the same feel as my AR 15. Like Clint Smith says a handgun is a poor defensive weapon - its only purpose is to give you enough time to get to your rifle or shotgun

I normally carry a LW Commander

Maury

#15 ·
The Glock is a lifeless piece of polymer and steel in my hands, not too say that I can't make it work as intended or that I would feel undergunned.

For me it is the 1911 with combat style adjustable sights and 5 inch barrel, with some minor customizing to suit my preferences.

Slight detour from subject....

As far as pinning the Grip safety, there are a lot of Grip safeties available with different modifications and shapes that allow one to easily depress the grip safety and removes the possibilty of litigation, as far as disabling a safety feature is concerned.

Modifying ones grip, can also lead to a more consistent depressing of the grip safety and of course......

Practice, Practice, Practice.........

Regards, Mueller

#17 ·
I too would choose the 1911. I carry a Glock on duty and am confident in it, but I started shooting with a 1911 and it will always be my first choice. I have found that, in full size guns, my 1911s are every bit as reliable as the Glock. However, that choice would probably change in respect to compact guns as I have never had good luck with compact 1911s ( Detonics, Colt OM) but my Glock 27 has never missed a beat.

Shawn

#18 ·
Mueller,

Following your digression of the post, I simply cannot pick up a non-pinned 1911 and make it work consistantly due to a unique hand shape.

I had one on loan (Kimber, speed bump, all slicked over) for a couple weeks and did about 50 rnds per day. Nothin' doin'. I couldn't get it to work for me.

I need a fat grip (BHP, Taurus, Beretta) to make a grip safety work. The "hi-cap" 1911 design helps in this regard, and does let me depress the grip safety, but I was under the impression that we were speaking of the standard seven round design.

Josh <><

#19 ·
Hello, and thanks for the responses; they are appreciated.

My own preference is for the 1911. That said, were I required to pick but one out of the box to use w/o modification, it would be the full size Glock. (They are not perfect; I've seen one that was not reliable at all and another that was extremely magazine dependent.) IF I could test the 1911 before hand, I'd go with it in a heartbeat. It might very well run fine and if not, the fix is usually pretty easy.

Best.

#20 ·
That one is easy for me. 1911.

My hands simply will not let me handle the Glock 21 (or even the 30) well enough to be reflexive nor is it as concealble. Matter of fact I cannot even shoot the G17 fast enough to compete with a 1911 in .45.

Not that Glocks are not good guns...they are. I just don't shoot them as well.

Press on,
Jim

#22 ·
Hello Joshua,

In the same vein of off topic

There are many different designs of grip safeties on the market and several of them are designed with high grip shooting style in mind, ie riding the safety.

Smith & Alexander E-Z Fit Hi-Grip Safety
Brownell stock # 849-007-071

Kings Super-high Hand Hold Grip Safety.
Brownell stock # 487-207-117

Les Baer Beaver tail Grip Safety
Brownell Stock # 124-152-100

STI Competition Grip Safety
Brownell Stock # 791-107-101

These are all designed with the high hold in mind and various friends have them on thier personal weapons and they have tried various other models before finding the ones that work.

I listed Brownells since you can find the images in one place, instead of searching various sites.

I have also seen Grip Safeties that have been built up and sculpted to overcome a shooters inability to consistently depress the grip safety.

I Have hands large enough to reach around the front of trigger guard to the first joint with my index finger when I have a proper grip on my 1911, so I can relate to large or odd shaped hands

I had to mix and match grip safeties before I found one that I was comfortable with and it is possible/likely that you will have to do the same.

If that were to fail, then pinning or otherwise modifying the Grip safety would be your last option.

Hope this is of some assistance to you.

Regards, Mueller

G
#24 ·
I guess I've been lucky and both 1911's I've owned have been reliable. I've had mags that I didn't trust but would run fine at the range. And the 1911's just feel right to me. Nothing against the glock but my subconsious must have been telling me something over the years as I still havn't bought a glock or even seriously looked at one. Maybe it's the trigger difference?

Steelheart

#25 ·
Steelhart;
I suppose I am lucky also. Back in the old days I kept a log (I finally got lazy).

The gun I used most in the early 80's was essentially a stock MkIV that had Bomar sights melted into the slide and a trigger job (I did not feedway work on it). When I quit keeping the log it had over 140,000 rounds through it. I had logged 4 malfunctions (yes I consider that exceptional and would not expect it from any brand of firearm). 2 were handloads with SWCs when the gun had just been cleaned (they stuck on the feedramp) and two were factory rounds that were a squib and a misfire. After I quit keeping the log, a friend dropped the slide and ruined the sear (it was getting a bit worn anyway) and I would count that as a 5th malfunction. Today it is a .45 Super.

Today I shoot a lot of different 1911s. Of the 4 Kimbers I use (I have 4 more which are either in storage or off to gunsmiths) 3 of them are not modidifed except for sights, and one is a Heinie custom. I have incurred two malfunctions between the 4, one of those was from a McCormick mag that I dropped in the mud and the follower stuck down on. But I don't shoot as much as I used to, those 4 guns probably don't have 20K through them collectively.

I do see a lot of rounds go downrange. In 2003 alone I purchased almost 300,000 rounds of ammo for folks who shot them in my classes.

I have certainly seen that some copies of the 1911 do not do as well as others and I have even seen periods when Colts were not up to their usual standards but the bottom line is that if your 1911 won't go 5000 to 10,000 rounds without a malfunction then you need to check into what you are doing first.... Cheap magazines, bad ammo and poor maintenance are the chief causes but sometimes a gun does need attention.

"The squeaky wheel gets the grease"...but sometimes it gets replaced :)

YMMV,
Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.