Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard more than one person complain about the grip angle on Glocks. Anyone know why Herr Glock chose configuration he did?

Max

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Must have worked for him. And, since it appears to be the most commonly police-issued gun in the USA, not just him!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Works for me, too. I find the angle very similar to the angle of the 1911 with arched mainspring housing.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In my entrie life, only three guns have ever pointed so perfectly that I NEVER had to look for the front sight.

1911 with arched Mainspring housing,
Ruger P345
Glock 21.

Not true of the smaller-framed Glocks, and not even true of my Hi-Power, at first (though I've trained the ability into myself.)

The Large-frame Glocks, though -- those I dig.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Interesting, Chubby, that both a Glock and a 1911 worked for you. I'm not surprised to hear that the 345 works as well, since manufacturers are evidently putting a lot more thought into this aspect of their engineering nowadays, but you're certainly fortunate to be able to shoot such diverse designs naturally. Must be hard when folks start a "1911 vs. Glock" argument with you in the room!

The Rohrbaugh R9s actually points better for me than any other gun I've tried. I complimented Karl Rohrbaugh on this and he told me that, when he was designing the gun, he put a laser pointer atop the wooden model of the frame he was carving and messed with it until it pointed perfectly for him. Then he made the aluminum frame duplicate the feel of the wooden model.

Sort of neat to hear how he did that. :)

Surprisingly, J-frames point pretty well for me, if I index my thumb on the top of the stocks. Not perfect, but good enough for government work . . .

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What's really funny is that even though the Hi-Power doesn't point naturally for me, I still trained myself to find its front sight very quickly, just because I like the gun's feel so much.

But yes, a 1911 and a Glock both work for me, but 1911s need arched mainspring housings, rather than the more popular flat housing, or no dice.

Wierd, huh?

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
It really shows how individual our hands are, and how difficult it is to engineer something so that it's ergonomically sound for everyone.

Ah, give me a BHP with Spegals . . . :)

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi there,

I imagine that when Gaston Glock developed the Glock among the world's leading LE authorities he also had a team of biomechanical engineers and orthopedic consultants that perfected the "just right" grip angle.

However, in spite of my above "flight of fancy", he probably did start something since all of Springfields XD ads seem to hang onto the bio mechanical part and the new S&W autos all have interchangable grip backstraps, i.e. M-99 and new M&P semi.

Chris

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Glock angle works for me. I was just curious if anyone knew for sure how he arrived it. i imagine you're correct, Chris, but I don't really know.

I didn't realize it was a common design, either. Most other pistols I've known seem to have an angle simi9lar with each other but different from the Glock.

Max

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Does anyone know what angles the Glock and 1911 grips are? I think they are only 4-5 degrees from one another, bu thtis is my eyeballing magazine angles. :-[

·
Registered
15 Posts
The Glock grip angle (13 deg.) works for me too. For what it is worth, I remember reading somewhere that the grip (angle) was designed for optimum recoil management. Unfortunately, I don't remember where I read this info. If I can find it, I will post the source.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts