Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I decided today to put some "new" life into a "old" shooter and ordered a .357 SIG G-32 barrel for my G-23 today.

While I have yet to shoot and explore the virtues of the .357 SIG round, I thought that this would be the best way to experiment with the round without buying a new handgun. In the past, I've not been a "convert" of two caliber semi auto pistols and instead have always bought the handgun in the caliber that I've wanted.

Most of the .357 SIG handguns including a G-32 are way out of my price range this holiday with the myriad of gifts that I have to buy folks for Christmas Besides, the newer 3rd Generation G-32's have the "newer" gripframes with the finger placement molding that do not fit my larger than average size mitts.

So, this morning, I ordered a G-32 barrel and G-32 magazine from Glockmeister in Phoenix, Arizona to see if I can get a suitable conversion done for my G-23.

Once I get the barrel, magazine and some suitable ammo in hand, I will post the impressions on the new barrel and a range report on the conversion.

Has anyone done something similiar with the Glock?

Chris

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Keep us posted on your progress and thoughts Chris. I will be interested to see what you think of the 357 round. If you need some home brew recipes just yell. I will gladly share my reload info if you are interested.

What I am about to suggest is really intended for anyone who is about to start reloading, or has just gotten started. Most long time loaders already know it, but it is still a useful reminder I think.

While I was already aware of it when I started developing load data for this round, it hit me right between the eyes. There will be different loads listed in various reloading manuals for the same or various similar projectiles.

When I started researching my load data, I knew I would be loading some Speer 125 Gold Dots so I checked my Speer manual and noted the max load with the powder I was going to use, AA # 9. I then opened my Accurate Arms manual and checked the load. With the same Gold Dot they showed the max as 1.0 grain LESS than Speer. Accurate's max is nearly a compressed load, so one more grain would be a substantial addition I think.

Just a reminder to everyone, try to always check multiple reloading sources. When in doubt, I tend to go with my powder manufacture. I have tried many brands over the years, but now for my handguns I generally load only Accurate Arms (Western) powders.

But please keep us up to date Chris. I am anxious to see if I can always count on one more 357 Sig vote in the surveys now, lol.

twoguns

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Now you have me curious, as I seem to have a number of Grock .40's around here. Is the barrel the only change or does the recoil spring need to be different?

Some folks change mags; others say the .40 mags work fine.

Regards,

Pat

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello pff,

The Glock 19, 23 and 32 all use a standard 18# captured recoil spring/guide rod.

I am planning on installing a 20# non-captured recoil spring and guide rod that I have on hand that I ordered from Glockmeister last year. The recoil rod is made of stainless steel and is reputed to be more durable than the polymer factor guide rod and offer the versitility of changing out recoil springs for different loads, i.e. light target vs. high velocity defensive loads.

As for the magazines, I understand that the .40 caliber ones can be used for the .357 SIG, but I ordered a .357 SIG magazine with the new barrel from www.glockmeister.com.

The new barrel and magazine arrived via UPS today and so it appears that I can go ahead and begin the simple process of reinstalling the new .357 SIG barrel, recoil spring, and guide rod. I will post a pic of the new barrel here as I understand from my research that the M-32 barrel is more "supported" in the rear of the chamber than the .40 S&W barrel.

I purchased two boxes of 125 grain Winchester White Box Target/Range ammunition from the local gunshop that is advertised to shoot at 1,340/FPS. Before I head to the range next week, I plan to buy some CCI Lawman 125 grain loads from the same shop.

All in all, it appears that I am in for some Christmas Holiday and New Years fun with my new/old .357 Glock!

Chris

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Well Mr. Chris,

Looks like Santa showed up a few days earlier at least with one of your presents. Congradulation, and let me be the first to welcome you to your new world of 357 Sig shooting. One cautionary note - it can be extremely addictive. Once you are hooked let me know. I will suggest some places where you can buy your needed components in quantity at great prices.

When I set up my BHP with the 357 Sig barrel I had a 22 pound spring on order that had not shown up when the urge to shoot my pistol got the better of me. I took it to an indoor range I use sometimes, and fired it with the factory spring installed in the BHP 40, which I think is 20. The weapon functioned perfectly.

After my session, I was chatting with one of the gunsmiths at the range, and explained I had used the 40 spring. His suggestion was to stay with the 40 spring and not to upgrade to a heavier one. So all of my shooting has been using the 40 spring without any problems or malfunctions.

Just a suggestion, but I want you first experience with my favorite cartridge to be a pleasant one. Now if I could just talk you into shooting this fine round out of something besides a Glock, lol. Sorry I could not resist. I understand why you made that choice, and think it was very logical.

I did send you a pm with a few more details you might find interesting too.

Enjoy shooting it. I will be surprised if you do not really enjoy it.

twoguns

P.S. On the mags, all of my Sig mags are factory marked as 40SW/357Sig, and work fine with either round. In fact in my Sigs I generally use the M-G 17 round 9mm for all 3 calibers, and have never had the first FTF issue. Another feature I really like about the Sigs.

In my BHP I used my 40 mags, which are made by M-G, and have not had any FTF either. So try your 40 mags while you are shooting too, and see if they feed ok too. You do have me curious if the Glocks mags will be the same.

On the CZs, the gunsmith who is doing an action job on the SP-01 he is going to sell me, says I can put my 75B 40 slide unit on the SP-01 9mm frame, and turn the SP-01 into a 40, using the 9mm mags without any problems at all. He has already made himself up a conversion for his SP-01 to convert it to 40, and he uses the 19 round 9mm mags that come with the 01.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello,

Yesterday morning, I took the .357 barrel, disassembled the G-23 and dropped the new barrel right into place. It is Glock factory barrel and all seemed within spec.

Here are the components as I recieved them from Glockmeister:

[size=100:eek:vbksd4l][size=100:eek:vbksd4l]The barrel and magazine were ordered for the conversion. The recoil spring guide rod and 20# spring were already in the "parts box" from an earlier "experiment".[/size:eek:vbksd4l][/size:eek:vbksd4l]

Next, I replaced the captive 18# recoil assembly with the Glockmeister Stainless Steel Guide rod and a 20# recoil spring. Upon resassembly and working the action, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of apparent difference between the two springs.

I next unloaded "all" of my G-23 .40 S&W magazines and reloaded one marked .357 new magazine and one of the old .40 S&W magazines for my "backup" with the .357 SIG loads.

Again, I didn't want to make the mistake of trying to insert/load a .40 S&W magazine into the Glock with the .357 barrel.

Now, I am good to go and just need to find time to go to the range next week.

Chris

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Chris,

All I can say is you are a better man than me. I think I would have to find a deserted spot along a back road and make some noise, just to see what it was like.

Keep us posted on what you think of it.

twoguns

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello,

For the first time in a month, I finally made it to the range today to try out the Glock 23 conversion to .357 SIG.

First, I only tried the Winchester 125 grain .357 SIG round since it was the only ammunition that I could find locally. According to Winchester's web site, this particular round is clocked to travel about 1,350/ft. second which is pretty "hot" for an autoloader.

Second, I only had a vague expectation of what to expect and was very pleasantly suprised. At 15 yards, I put out the Orange B-27 target, took aim and shot! All of my rounds were fairly centered, the recoil was a tad sharper than the .40 S&W, but "muzzle flip" was very negligible and repeat target aquisition better than the .40 S&W.

There was very little expected flash in the dimly lit range and all of the experiences of shooting .357 Magnum loads were quickly dissapated by the suprising performance of this round.

I attribute the lack of "muzzle rise" due to the lighter and faster traveling round.

All in all, I was very impressed and can see why the Texas DPS and other LEO agencies are very favorable about the round.

As I acquire more ammunition, I will build on this report. So far, the .357 SIG round gets a positive "thumbs up" from this shooter.

Chris

G

·
Chris,

Like you, I also ordered a conversion barrel for my G-27 but I got one in 9mm from Lone Wolf. It dropped right in and uses the same recoil spring. All I needed to add were some 9mm mags and the gun worked like a top. I load and practice with 9mm and carry factory .40 ammo. I like this set up because I can shoot lead out of the LW barrel and this makes for some low cost low recoil practice.

Regards,

SJ

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
SJ,

If you ever have the change to try the 357 Sig round, I would be curious to see what you think of it, and how you would compare it to the 40.

But I think I must be a bit contagious with Mr. Chris. He has since sold his Glock and now owns two Sigs, both of which shoot the 357 Sig round.

Take care, and if you can shoot the 357 Sig, I would like to hear what you think of it.

twoguns

G

·
My perception is the 357 Sig kicks less in my G27 than it does in my G23. Yes, I have conversion units for both my G23 and G27. The 357 Sig is a hoot to shoot! Regards, Richard

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi there Richard,

I agree with you.

The .357 SIG is not only a "hoot" to shoot, but also to reload and most of the powder manufacturers recommend loads right up to the 1350/fps of the factory loads!

I've really had a great time with it and will continue to shoot it in my newly acquired .357 SIG P239.

While my Glock is gone now, the .357 SIG gets plenty of attention in both my P239 and P226.

Chris

·
Registered
399 Posts
Well now that I have heard that all systems are go on the conversion we may have to put that on on our wish list. I have never had a pistol that would shoot two different calibers. I have had a interest in the .357 SIG since I first heard about it. I am going to have todo some pricing as there is a gun show this weekend. Good luck with yours Chris.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Mr. Baldy,

Actually with the Sig you can have all 3 calibers - 357 Sig, 40S&W, and 9mm. With my 226 I am able to shoot all 3 simply by changing the barrels, and can use the same M-G 17rd 9mm mag for all 3 rounds. After several thousand rounds I have not have the first malfunction using the 17 rd M-G mag for all 3 calibers. It also give me 13 rounds in the mag for 357 or 40, as opposed to 12 in the factory mags.

With the 226 and 229 the mags are marked 357/40. If you end up with a 239 from what I have been told by one of our members, those 3 mags would each be unique. To fire the 357 and 40 would require separate 239 mags, as would the 9mm mag.

The only note I should make on the 9mm barrel, is that you have to order one that is called a 9mm down or conversion barrel, as it is made to the same outer diameter of the other two calibers to allow it to fit properly in the slide cut out in a 40 or 357 pistol. You can not simply use a standard 9mm barrel.

I should also point out you can go down in caliber, but not up. If you have the 40 or 357 Sig, you can add the second barrel and buy the 9 down/conversion and fire all 3 calibers. But if you have the 9mm, you will only be able to shoot 9mm, period.

Both of my 40 and 357 barrels are Sig factory barrels I got from my dealer. The 9 down for my 226 is an EFK barrel that I am very pleased with.

Just wanted to make things a bit more clear for you before you hit the gun show this weekend. If you have any other questions please feel free to post them or send me a pm.

If you end up getting something this weekend please share your thoughts with us after you have been able to shoot it.

twoguns

1 - 15 of 15 Posts