Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all

How many of you (who shoot outdoors at a private range, your own land, or public range that allows this) use targets other than just paper targets for practice and shooting fun?

I mean, besides the obvious ones ( tin cans, milk jugs, soft drink bottles, ect.), has anybody found any that work good or are at least really fun to shoot at?

I discovered a few that have been a lot of fun for me.

The first is old lumber (2x4's work really good) cut
into small pieces about 3 to 6 in. tall. This is a lot of fun with the .22 rifle, especially when using 2x4's cut up. The pieces will either fall (of course), or 75% of the time they will "explode". Nothing too crazy or dangerous though.

Another fun one is ceramic floor or wall tile.
I work at a floor covering store, and I try to scavenge any left-over, broken, or "floor samples" that show up and will just get tossed anyway.
This is a TON of fun with pretty much any gun, as the tiles shatter when you shoot them. Kind of makes a mess, though.

Although you'd have to do some searching for these, I know that a lot of floor covering stores have boxes of old or broken tile that gets tossed a lot of the time. Just ask them for some, or look in their dumpster.
I manage to get about 3 or 4 boxes worth a week from my store. (about 40-70 tiles, depending on how many per box)

So if anybody has any other "improvised targets" they'd like to share, that'd be great!

Matt C

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Tennis balls, but not when you're alone. Have a friend with you, and see who can make the other miss by getting the ball too far away or moving too fast.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I used to live in Montana and had access to public land nearby where it was legal to shoot all year long. Some of the more interesting things I did were:

Shot a 10x15 steel plate at 400 yards. The loud tink of a hit took about 3-4 seconds to get back to my ears.

Shot potatoes with .22. The mess was organic so I could leave it.

Shot knock down plywood buffalo silhouettes.

Single action quick draw from gunfighter holster with .45 colt ( a bit dangerous)

Shot life-size cardboard deer cutouts under a shady tree or bush as a practice for hunting. (the target blended in with the background and was hard to see) This practice defiantly enabled me to take a couple of the best deer I ever got.

I knew a guy that said he shot a 100 pound propane tank that was half full of fuel. He said it did not explode like you would expect but that the propane just blew out in a cloud and that was all. Pretty stupid as it could have caused a grass fire.

·
Registered
645 Posts
In the right seasons, I like to stop at vegetables/fruit farms, truck farms and such and buy their fruit that has gone bad ie., watermelons, cantaloupe, tomatos, apples, peaches etc, etc. You can get them cheap and they are fun to watch explode when hit with the right ammo.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
When I am working with someone who has developed a mental block about shooting our qual course at the 25 yard line, I buy a large bag of balloons. Blow a few up at a time, and tape them to our paper qual target. I put them back at 25 and talk to them about the basics and let them shoot. Once they see they are actually hitting and popping the balloons their confidence really increases. Then I start telling them which balloon to shoot next to give them more practice and confidence. That immediate feedback does a lot to take away their anxiety that they may not really be hitting where they are aiming.

Then I run them back through our qual course, and their scores always go up after their balloon session.

Plus just shooting various sized balloons, and getting the sight/trigger squeeze confirmation it gives can be a lot of fun too. Vary the sizes and your distances.

I also use the same balloons to teach shooting on the move in tactical training. There is nothing like that immediate feedback to build the shooter's confidence and show them they are doing things correctly.

twoguns

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tie the balloon to a remote car and shoot it while the car is moving. Then make the car move in an unexpected mannor. Then increase the range. All add to the fun and increased skills.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
4X6" steel plate hanging at about 40 yards. Challenging enough most days. If I'm having a bad day, I'll shoot it sitting down; on really good days I shoot it one-handed.

I also enjoy plinking at plastic drink bottles with JHP ammo; hit just below it in the dirt and it flies a good distance. The goal is to hit one on the fly (someday).

With the High Standard Tournament, lining up old shotshell hulls on a fence rail is a decent challenge.

Regards,

Pat

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I shoot at old veggies as well, and when I teach new people I let them buy a case of Shasta and shoot the cans, it makes an impresion on them. When I shoot rifle I use matchbooks.

·
Registered
139 Posts
oh some good ideas, i like the one about the remote car and balloon, just hope you don't hit the car to often....ouch in the back pocket.

try this one if you have some property, heaps of fun.

get some old 5 gallon oil drums - 20 liter or bigger, and fill them with water.
shoot em with a 12g shot gun solid and see how high they fly.
even a 44 gallon drum filled to the brim with water will fly about 1 foot of the ground..

Make sure you have a video camera handy and a hard hat.....
About 15years ago we used to fire rabbit shot up into the air and try and make it hit the tin roof on the farm shed. this is actually very difficult.

WARNING... try these suggestions at your own risk. make sure you have permission and plenty of space as shooting anything into the air can be potentially dangerous. Remember be safety first, and if in doubt don't do it.

cheers, Bang bang.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts