Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you sometimes get tired of shooting targets, at rock throwing distance, with your handguns?
How about seeing just what your compact carry pistols are capable of doing? It may surprise you.

I used to plink a bit at 90-100 yards with the likes of a 2 inch barrel S&W 38. Didn't always hit the target but usually scared the heck out of it.

Recently I tried 100 yard pistol shooting again.
68 year old eyes and a less than steady hand makes it a little harder to hold a good sight picture now but the target still suffers a bit of damage.

Yesterday I tacked up a Texas 15 yard concealed carry qualification silhouette target at 100 yards, with the intention of seeing what my carry gun, a 3 inch barrel Kimber Tactical Ultra, would do at a good distance.

The first thing I did was fire 4 rounds, sitting at 98 yards, to check the bullet drop and wind drift. The ammo was a 200gr lead SWC reload. The round is loaded down a little and the bullets aren't the best quality, but I've got several thousand of them to shoot up.

After pasting up the spotting bullet holes, that hit low and left, I backed up to this position, 100 yards.
I counted out 50 rounds and began shooting.
Standing and using two hands.

At about the 3rd magazine I wanted to raise the strike of the bullets a little and over compensated, which gave me a string of hits across the top of the target. :(

The final count was 6 silhouette misses. I count a hit on the silhouette edge as a miss.
Due to a few multiple grouped holes I can't be sure of 3 or 4 hits so I call them complete misses.
The final count is 9 or 10 misses out of 50 shots.
That's not a very good average.
Oh well, it leaves room for improvement. :)

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Hello. Yes, shooting at "extreme" handgun ranges is a heck of a lot of fun and can be eye opening.
At other times, just plain ol' plinking is great entertainment.

Best.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Or maybe just having a lot of time on my hands.

I shot this one last week.
It proves that 2 inch barrel guns aren't much good past a few yards. ;)

My hand wasn't very steady that day, so I had to shoot sitting at that bench, 98 yards.

The gun is my old S&W Model 60.
The ammo is 160gr lead SWC reloads.

The pasted up bullet holes are a couple 38 spotting rounds and 22 Short bullets from my Beretta Minx, that I shot first.
(surprisingly only 3 bullets aren't accounted for from that mouse gun)

I believe the 38 kept all the shots in the silhouette. :)

·
Registered
645 Posts
M2Carbine,

That might not be a good average in your opinion, but I wouldn't want you shooting at me with those two guns, its a hole lot different when those rounds are coming at you, trust me!!!

Papabear

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi M2Carbine,

Great shooting! I've tried 100 yard shooting a couple of times with similiar results. It is a lot of fun to challange yourself to hit long distance targets.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us!

Chris

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I managed to try the Kimber again before I got rained out yesterday.

The hit/miss average improved. Of 24 rounds (3 mags + 3 in the chamber) there were two misses. One near the left edge of the target and one, I'd guess too far left.

I have to work on moving the hits a little further right and up.

24 rounds seems like a good number to fire.

I think getting all 24 rounds within the second scoring ring is something to work at. The center ring measures 12 inches in diameter.

I laid the target out on a table to better score the multiple hits.
The magazines are numbered.

This is fun shooting. :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It was the Makarovs turn today. :)

I used a Russian Mak because I thought I'd need the adjustable sights.
The first ammo was Russian Barnaul 95gr FMJ.
Of 44 rounds I missed the blue 16 times. More than a miss in three shots. Not acceptable.

Later in the day I tried again with my 95gr lead RN reloaded ammo.

Of 36 rounds I had 7 miss the blue. A miss in five shots.
A little better hit/miss ratio but still not good enough. :)

G

·
People are often amazed at the accuracy of short barrelled pistols if they haven't been exposed before. Once, while on a fishing trip with my younger brother and his friends, we were perched high on a wooded river bank, plinking with .22 rifles. We noticed an old 55 gal. oil drum floating downstream about a 100 yds. out. Being an active silhouette shooter at the time, I propped my old S&W Mod. 36, 2" barrel filled with some 158 gr. RN handloads, on my knee while I leaned back against. After a few ranging shots, I started to drop rounds into the old barrel with pretty fair regularity. You'd have thought I was shooting laser beams out of my nose from the looks they gave me! You just have to know what your pistol will do to get hits at extended ranges.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts