Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been gone to long again, been really busy with work, and still am, but did get away for the week of Memorial Day, made it back to FL for a gun show and this time found a neat old S&W pre10 M&P, SN 303xxx, 1954-1956 circa, 5 screw pinned bbl, bright bore, original finish with no ring on cylinder, edges on trigger are still sharp, stocks match SN, and condition is VG+, it did reside in a leather holster. Also came with a set of Goncalo Alves checkered target stocks 1978 circa.

Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but will in a week or two, I'll let you know. Don't plan on shooting it more than 6-12 rds, and then it will be a safe queen, just a thing with me, if I own it, I shoot it, but this one is a keeper.

papabear

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy sir,

Congradulatins on finding that one Mr. Papabear. There is just a special quality to me in an older Smith revolver than whipsers to me. Nice find and thanks for the great pic.

twoguns

G

·
Probably more like late 40's - early 50's as Colt and Smith went to wider serrated-ramp front sights in the early 50's, I believe. Grips are pretty definitely post-war magnas.

Enjoy
They just don't make'm like that any more.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nevadaalan,

Thanks for your reply, according to the SN C 303XXX in the 3rd edition of the SCS&M this pre 10 was numbered between 1954 and 1956 [ C277555-C40293 ] the stocks are numbered to the barrel, cylinder and butt frame, I have a Colt Official Police with the same type front sight and it is a 1954. Anyway, I be glad to have it in my collection.

papabear

·
Registered
361 Posts
Ooo... Papabear! That's really nice! When push comes to shove I think I like the Smith & Wesson M&P's the best. That's a pretty example of my favorite revolver.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hello papabear,

I almost bought a 1948 manufactured M&P last week that was in about 96% condition with pristine stocks, but didn't have enough money with several expenses due for my household. So, I passed on it, but am happy to see that you purchased one of these fine 'ole revolvers.

Maybe I can go back and do a layaway, but your purchase certainly has piqued my interest again.

Congradulations papabear! It is a very nice find!

Chris

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy folks,

I am always gratified to see how one member, understanding our dreaded "addiction" as they do, will gladly help out his fellow addicts with great pics and reports. A classic example is Mr. Papabear helping Mr. Chris realize the error of his previous decision, hehehe.

There really is something about this fine, older Smiths that whispers to me. They truly are "classics" to me, and remind me of a time when Smith revolvers were built by Smith craftsmen who took personal pride in their works of art.

Mr. Chris, if you do indeed decide to give in to your addiction, hopefully the lady will still be in the display case when you can make it back over there sir. If so we hope you will flaunt your "new" lady to us as well.

twoguns

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
twoguns,

I try to be a good enabler to those of this addiction you speak of, however, I am well in over my head with the addiction myself.....
.....but one does what one can to help his fellow addicts.....

papabear

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I

can

quit

whenever

I

want

to.

Right.

Regards,

Pat (Who adopted a nickel M&P 5-screw snubbie last night. )

·
Registered
399 Posts
Hi Papabear you just keep raking them in. That is one beauty for sure. Thanks for sharing with us your new found riches. I sit here dreaming of a new pistol and which one I am going to get sometimes for months. I go to a gun show and some revolver jumps into my hand and I can't let it go. I am addicted to old revolvers for sure and can't break the habit. Please shoot one round for me. Good luck with it and enjoy.

Best,Baldy.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
pff,

There was a nickel 5 screw M&P 5" at the same table I picked this one up, but I couldn't afford both and had to make a decision, "so many guns so little money". If you can please show us that nickel snub nose, I'm just like baldy, I addicted to the old revolvers too.

papabear

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I'll try to get A Round Tuit. I'm waaaaaaaaaaaaaay behind on pix.

Takes me half a day or more to figger out the camera each time. Got a new cellphone; might try that assuming its not too complicated. Right now its nap time.

Regards,

Pat

·
Registered
399 Posts
Hi Papabear here is one of two that I lucked into at the last show.
S&W M-36 no dash snubnose Nickel Plated. I think it's about a 1983 gun.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Hi Papa,

Beautiful example of an all time classic! These K-frame/skinny barrel Smiths are really elegant and yours is the perrfect incarnation of the type. I own a similar M10, in a shape that indicates good and honest service, and prefer it to my PR M65. I just happened to shoot it last saturday with extrem pleasure.

And I can't say anything to my good ol' friend Chris but "Back to the shop and correct that mistake"

Bye.

L.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Papabear here is one of two that I lucked into at the last show.
S&W M-36 no dash snubnose Nickel Plated. I think it's about a 1983 gun.

Baldy,

Very nice find my friend, I love the 36's in any configuration, blue, nickel, round or square butt, pinned or not and 2" or 3", yours is one I don't have, but I do have a nickeled 3". Thanks for sharing..........

papabear

·
Registered
637 Posts
Hello, papabear,

I recently purchased a '53 M&P purely for informal target/plinking purposes. Some bluing wear on the muzzle, top strap, and edges of the cylinder suggest that it was carried much in a holster. Otherwise the Smith is in fine shape: no rust, tight, excellent bore, etc. And it shoots to poa at 15 yards with 158 gr. SWC ammo. This could have been a policeman or security officer's gun, carried much, shot little, and well maintained. I paid $250.

These old Smiths seem to have suddenly taken a big jump in price, at least in my neck of the woods. I'd appreciate knowing what you paid for such a pristine example as your recent acquisition. If you prefer not to comment, I understand. --c

·
Registered
361 Posts
I''m so glad to see the M&P .38's are receiving some well-deserved interest even if it makes them more difficult for me to afford.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Corkey,

I don't mind at all, I got it off a private dealer at the Fort Walton Beach show June 2-3 and I paid $300 OTD, however, he was asking $350. He had had it for a long time and I am sure he probably only had maybe $150 in it, but at today's prices I felt $300 was a fair price considering the condition, he also had a 5" nickel pre 10 M&P and it was nice too and he was asking $375 for it but I couldn't afford both so I opted for 4" blue, but yes, the prices are definitely going up on these old M&P's.

papabear

1 - 20 of 25 Posts