Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Knowing that we have some revolver fans here, I wondered whether or not you generally prefer .357 magnum or .38 Special in your carry guns.

Best.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
When I had a J-frame .357 (the 60-15), I carried 130-gr Personal Defense Hydra-Shock .357s in it. They didn't kick much and they were low flash, but gave good velocity (not extreme, but good). But, I also felt fine carrying 158-gr LSWCHP .38 +Ps in it, too. (I carried the .38s in speedloaders, because I'd generally carry another J-frame, a .38, alongside the .357.)

Now NM has changed its carry laws (disallowing second guns), and I've sold off the .357. I carry .357s in my short-barreled (3") 65-5 (145-gr STHPs, the slight increase in recoil is mitigated by the heavier K-frame gun and the more generous gripframe), but .38s in the two J-frames I have left.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I find the .357 too much of a good thing in the small guns, with the posible exception of a mid-range load such as the Remington GS in one of the heavier Rugers. The magnums are no fun to practice with in the Smiths, and I feel better about shot placement and follow up with the +P 38 special. The +P 158 grain LHPs are bad enough in the lightweight J frames.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi there,

I'll take .38 specials in J-frames and .357 magnums in K-frames in spite of the fact that S&W makes .357 S/S J-frames. I don't think you can wring out the potential of the .357 load in a short 2" barrel J-frame and lose too much in the controlled shooting department.

Chris

G

·
I like +P's in mine. In the bedroom I like Snake Shot. If they get that far I will put one in their crotch and one in their face. Then the Cops can pick up what is left of them and they can live in prison without a face and parts. I do not like home invaders and think it should be a highly dangerous business with very great risks. If there were more people like me, they would learn another trade.

G

·
A guy I work with on my department just bought one of those Scandium S&W Magnum snubbies. I told him I don't even want to be there when HE shoots it. I might absorb some pain via osmosis.

G

·
I tried .357 in a short barreled J frame on a rental gun and really didn't like it. At all.

While I have no doubt it is the better tool, my ability to do anything with it in a small gun is nil. Then again I do not shoot small guns very well. I much prefer full sized.

The K frame is big enough that with a 3" or longer barrel I could handle the .357 just fine. I've a Rossi 971 I've shot hundreds upon hundreds if not thousands of rounds of .357 Magnum out of. It's a K frame clone with a 4" bbl and it handles it just fine.

I find I need more gun to use the more effective cartridge personally.

The two wheelguns I carry would be a BUG, which is now my recently acquired Colt DS, and sometimes on a whim I CCW my GP100, which I want to try the Corbon DPX 125 grain load in.

I'm not saying a .357 mag snubnose is a bad idea or a waste of time. Heck, if I lived in bear country I'd probably invest in one.

G

·
I wasn't too sure how to vote. ???

In my small (J-frame size) revolvers chambered in .357, I almost always have it loaded with mid-range .357 magnum loads, i.e., 125 gr. Remington Golden Sabers.

If the small revolver is chambered in .38 Spl., it is loaded with 158 gr. Remington SWC-HP +Ps.

G

·
On the street, for CCW, I carry a M-36 with 125 gr. JHP +P .38 spl. I do not feel the need for more power in a small gun. (It raps my shooting hand pretty good ! ::) ) I even carry this load in my M-67, that I use for woods carry, for walking (hiking) in my area's mountains.
I only shoot .357 in my M-66 2 1/2", once in a while. I want to keep it, and a M-10 2" in great condition, so they stay in the safe....mostly!!! ::) I really don't need alot of power, and prefer shooting .357 mag/ in a K frame. ;) Bob

G

·
I wouldn't mind having a short barreled .357 like a 3 inch S&W 65 but they're kind of hard to find without that built in lock

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Keep looking, my friend; there are thousands of them out there, and Chris and I will vouch that they're mighty handy!

(click to enlarge)

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I did not vote simply because, beleive it or not, I have not made up my mind...and if I did something would change it tomorrow :-[

Right now I carry Federal 130 HS or Federal 140 classic in my 2" 640 (but I will stick in 125s if that is all I have).

That does not mean I think the .38 +P is not worth having and I am not adverse at all to sticking an M37 loaded with .38s in my pocket.

Recent back yard testing showed the new Speer 135 to be pretty comparable to a 3" M-13 loaded with 125 gr. Remington Magnums. I would certainly consider carry that or the Cor-Bon DPX +P .38. The new .357 DPX looks to be a short barreled load so I would like to try those too.

This is one place for sure that each person has to choose his own salvation by fireing his gun with the vairious loads to see what suits him.

J-frames are one reason that the "5-5-5 Drill" is not the "5-6-5 Drill" :)

Onward,
Jim

·
Registered
392 Posts
in a gun actually built for magnums, i'll take the magnums. but it seems the sp101 is the only "snubby of concealbale size that can handle ALL magnums.

i now carry 158gr. lscwhp +p in all my .38s no matter what size, and the same load in my K frame with a very slight digression to the magnums just to retain the "feel" of them.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
.38 for me; J, K and L frames. Don't own a single magnum other than a .32 H&R I got suckered into.

Regards,

Pat

·
Registered
392 Posts
pff,

i can see your point.

i have a couple K frame .357s that i realy have no need for the magnum capability. for defensive .357 usage i have an L frame.

because the K frame must be pampered with such loads, i'd just rather have a couple model 10 bull barrels instead of the model 13s i have, but they were a bargan so i picked'em up.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Hiya Jerry,

Wasn't so much a concious decision as it sorta worked out that way. Most of my .38's are plinkers anyways so no need for the added noise, hate and discontent,

I wouldn't mind having a 13 3" RB 'just because' if the right deal came along but I'm not going out of my way to find one.

The Model 10 4" HB is one of the better pieces out there, and still can be found occasionally as tradins at good prices.

Regards,

Pat

1 - 20 of 24 Posts