Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am sharing some referenced links I gathered about the proof marks on Belgian firearms e.g. Browning High Powers et al. It’s not my intention to be an expert on this aspect as I just wanted to learn like the other members here as to what are the meaning of these marks and their significance apart from the valuable information and explanations given here by members of the forum. If there's too much information overload, please accept my apology.

1. Belgian Proof Marks
http://damascus-barrels.com/Belgian_All_Proofmarks.html
The table shows the description, dates used, and the proof marks, e,g, The Perron, ELG’s (encircled with and without the crown on top), nitro or powder(?) proof marks, PV (with the lion), etc. The link also has the Belgian date codes, controllers of proof codes, and Belgian date codes cursive. A member of this forum, niclo, has already posted in the BHP FAQ’s about the FN Herstal Controller’s Name & Mark (link: http://www.handgunsandammunition.com/hi-power-faqs/5469-list-controllers-marks-liegi-herstal.html) dated 10/14/2007. Note some differences in the names of controllers for letters A and N. Important remarks can be seen in niclo’s attachment.

2. Belgian Maker’s Mark
https://docs.google.com/document/d/17yCstxftvWXpFdSru4JKbRIE1-Q8OqXgJs66tEXntqw/edit?pli=1
Similar to item 1, the Le Perron and the ELG’s are shown including the condition that if the PV has no lion mark over it, the gun was not proved (or approved?) for smokeless powder.

3. Album: Belgian Proof Marks
PictureTrail: Online Photo Sharing, Social Network, Image Hosting, Online Photo Albums
This is similar to item 2 but is showing more pictures of the proof marks.

4. Testing Firearms: Proof Test Marks
Firearms History, Technology & Development: Testing Firearms: Proof Test
Several proof marks from London, Birmingham, Belgian, and German are shown here.

5. German Military Waffenamt Stampings or Weapons Office Inspector’s Stamp on FN Herstal Firearms
Hi-power 640(b)
The German inspector’s stamp WaA613, WaA103, and WaA140 are defined herein including the dates and corresponding serial numbers that each mark encompassed. It also shows the meaning of the inscription on the left side of the Browning High Power slide and what does “Browning’s Patent Depose” stands for.

6. German inspector’s mark (WaA) assignment per location
Codes and Markings
The table shows the different codes and markings. Go to the WaA series and one can see the specific German WW-II Heerswaffenamt inspector's mark on assigned locations/country.

7. Fraudulent WaA613 Marking explanation (page 290)
FN Browning Pistols Side-Arms that Shaped World History book (pages from Anthony Vanderlinden’s “FN Browning Pistols, Side-Arms that Shaped World History)
This page about the captured and seized Belgian military pistols gave explanation as to why High Powers marked with a Wa613 were considered fraudulent.

8. Arms Manufacturing in Liege
Nouvelle page 0
Extra reference link showing identified and unidentified craftsmen, etc.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Additional reference site for Pistols of the German Wehrmacht FN M1935 High Power P.640(b) proof marks:
Pistols of the German Wehrmacht
(click on "FN High Power" below "Belgium" at the left side)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Very interesting information, can anyone tell me what the dates of the inspectors worked in FN? For example I have an fn 1910 with *N and would liek to know whish inspetor and what date that this pistol was manufactured. Thank you

1 - 6 of 6 Posts