Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Opinions on the best/good flashlight for a truck/self defense. Been looking at the surefire sight and am kinda in a quandry.
Blessings

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Sir,

I personally like the two- or three-cell MagLites for SD use because of the ability to use them as clubs. I'm an old fashioned fella in a young 'un's body I reckon.

Josh <><

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi there williamlayton,

For me, its the Surefire 6-P.

It will blind the blazes out of someone and will surely suprise them. In my opinion, the 6-P is about the right car, truck, carry and nightstand size light. The high lumen output for its size puts it in a class of its own. I take mine on hunting trips, out of town social/business trips and keep it next to my Glock at home.

Surefire just came out with the G-2, which I was looking at during a visit to the local Bass Pro Shops. With a suggested retail of about $32.95 there, the only difference I noticed was that while the 6-P is made of high grade industrial lightweight aluminum, the G-2 has a polymer body. They offer many different colors for the body of the flashlight.

Still expensive, but I look at it as an investment and until they come up with something as good or better, I am a Surefire fan.

Chris

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I wear a G2 every day (the only time you really need a light is when you don't have one :-/).

But I am not quite sure what you meant by defense. If it was a light to shoot by then I would stick with a good Sure Fire 2 cell model.

If you need to use it as an impact weapon, Josh is more on track there.

BTW, I also use a little LED light I picked up at Wal-Mart which mimics a Sure Fire but is much smaller. I use it for navigation but it actually would do yoeman's work indoors to shoot by, just not nearly as bright. Still for $5 it will save its cost in battereies in about a month!

Jim
PS - Someone always asks but I dont know the model # I have give away about 5 of them and don't have any packages left. It has a brand name of Dorcy and comes in about 5 different anodized colors (all the LED lights are white).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gents,

As to what light I carry on my person I use the Surefire 6P. The surefire gets my nod, but darn they are spendy!

As to big flash lights I like the 5 or 6 "C" cell Maglight. The c-cell model fits the hand better and is long enough to protect your forearm from blows. Extra length equals extra power, too.

Carry one in your car truck as a "safety-survival" tool... ;)

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Wes;
I too have a C-cell Mag-Lite, it is the first light I ever purchased on purpose to shoot with.

However, I bet the batteries are down...I have been spoiled by Lithium battereies :-[

Enlightening ;)
Jim

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another vote for the 6P, carry one at work nightly in a Sparks carrier. Have another one in the closet by the house gun but have the P-61 bulb in there that doubles the Lumens from 60 to 120. If you buy the batteries by the dozen, or the gross like I do, they aen't that pricey, I think any 90.00 or more order from Surefire is free shipping to boot.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have been thinking about the E2E. It seems to be pretty multi-functional and small enough. I like the shelf life of the batteries.
I have carried the big lights for years but the batteries are always dead when I need it, and that was the reason I was thinking about the surefire.
Thanks for the replys boys.
Blessings

·
Registered
649 Posts
I have started carrying LED lights myself...have a Streamlight Scorpion and the batteries failed me once. I think the LEDs are the way to go because the battery life is a lot longer and some of them are quite bright. I carry a Garrity LED light in my pocket on my Victorinox "Tinker" and have one around my neck on my NORAM hoster too. And these LEDs just cost me $4 apiece at Wallyworld.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well now, all good thoughts and I appreciate.
The big flashlights are what I am trying/thinking about getting away from, for numerous reasons.
The surefire seems to be a leading thought, as I have posts with this questions on a couple of other boards.
The variety of surefire lights has me thinking about options.
The LEO's seem to fancy them as well as some outdoor sports enthusiast.
Blessings

·
Registered
33 Posts
I keep a g-2 by my bedside alongside my gun. I have 2 of the 3-c cell maglights (one in each vehicle) and I still have the old 3 d-cell maglight I carried as an LEO. If you ever have to strike with it, it packs a real wallop.
I keep several AA-cell Brinkmans scattered around the homestead for emergencies. Basically, there is a flashlight in every room

1 - 12 of 12 Posts