Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.......a couple of "firsts" for me......my first post since joining this forum and my first attempt at including photos.

A while back I found Stephen Camp's "Hi Powers and Handguns" site when searching for info on my first centerfire handgun, a 1985 BHP 9mm. More recently I've become interested in revolvers after reading "other handguns" articles on Mr. Camp's site and searching thru many other web sites and forums. I really like my Hi Power and have had no major problems (thanks to Mr. Camp's recommendation, new Mec-Gar magazines solved an occasional JHP feeding issue), but there's something I like about the simplicity and reliability of a revolver.

A S&W Model 10-6 is my latest addition. I brought it home just last week. I haven't had a chance to take it to the range yet, but it seems to be in very good condition and I felt like I got an OK price on it ($275 OTD). If anyone has any information on the "-6" version of the Model 10, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Great forum......I'm learning a lot.....thanks!!

Here's a couple pictures of my Model 10....

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
First off, Welcome! There's a lot of good information here.

Secondly, the heavy barrel Model 10 is one of my favorite revolvers. It's a no-nonsense gun that fulfills its niche very well. It's one of the best balanced revolvers ever. (Considering that it was none other than the legendary Bill Jordan who had a hand in designing it, I'd call it a "gunfighting" revolver, a role it's taken on too many times to count in the hands of law enforcement officers all over the US and other countries.)

Can you tell I'm a big fan? I have three or four of these, along with a Model 65 stainless .357 in the same configuration.

The -6 dates your gun to the mid-1970s, though you couldn't tell it from looking at these pictures. You got a sweet deal!

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Hi jshox- You can't go wrong with a Smith & Wesson. That's a great gun and great pictures to boot. I can tell you it won't be your last. :) Welcome to the forum-
Gib

·
Regulator,
2,353 Posts
Welcome to the site jshox and congrats on a beautiful Smith and Wesson. I join the many who wish I had found it first!!

I carried one similar to that on duty for many years and would like to pass on a few "user goodies" you might want to know about them.

First, Smith and Wessons are sensitive to jamming if you allow crud to get under the extractor star and push it upward a little. Broken off bronze bore brush bristles are very bad about getting under there and doing this. If this happens the cylinder will often freeze up so completely it will neither revolve nor open. So make sure you clean under there after every use.

Secondly, with the grips off you will note a screw in the forward face of the grip frame. This is the mainspring strain screw and it must always be kept tight or misfires will occur, especially on double action. Some will advise you to loosen it a turn or two to get a lighter trigger pull, which is true, but you're messing with ignition and the gun will misfire with great certainty if you loosen it.

Since the gun is new to you, I would clear it and then, with your finger off the trigger, ease back on the hammer just enough to make sure the safety bar is in there and functioning. It is a blued part that looks like an upsidedown letter "L" and should move up and down as you ease the hammer back and forth. If it isn't there, lock up the gun in the safe and don't use it until you can get one...it's a critical safety feature.

When it comes time to remove the sideplate, you never pry it off.....you simply remove the screws, hold the gun flat at its balance point in your left hand close to a table top and and take a wooden screwdriver handle and lightly rap on the grip frame until the sideplate lifts itself out of its cradle. Prying it off really messes up the fit of the part.

On most Smith and Wessons, the forwardmost screw on the right side of the gun retains the yoke in place. It is not interchangeable with the other screws in the sideplate, so set it aside in a special place when removing the sideplate and don't mix it up with the others.

All of this is from painful experience.
Best wishes

JayPee

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for the welcome and for all the great tips!

JayPee.....I double-checked....the safety bar is there and working!

A couple months ago I bought a S&W Model 65-2 at the same shop where I found the Model 10. They had several 65's that were police trade-ins. I picked mine because it was the only one with the pinned barrel and recessed cylinder. Cosmetically you can tell it's been carried a lot, but it's very good mechanically and is pretty darn accurate.....even with me shooting it!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Welcome Mr Jshox. There's not anything I can add to the good advise you got above. Just shoot it and enjoy it. They are great old guns of an era that's passing on by.

Best,Baldy.

·
Registered
800 Posts
First, welcome and nice revolver. I just started to get into S&W's recently with the help of the great people here. I just picked up my S&W 65-3, 3" yesterday. I too wish it was a P&R model but I couldn't locate a M13. 3" anywhere for a good price and I curse myself for selling the one I owned. I have not had the range time with my revolver yet so I haven't posted my findings. Because of you guys I have a new addiction.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks again everybody!

You all are partially to blame for my revolver "itch". I didn't even know what P&R meant before I started reading your posts on this forum!

Pictures of my 65-2 below. It's definitely a police veteran and not as "purty" as my Model 10, but it's a real shooter.

In the third picture, see the tiny rust pits between the trademark and grip? They are very shallow so I tried some hand polishing with Simichrome, but I didn't want to get too aggressive around the trademark. With normal care, is this anything to worry about?

·
Regulator,
2,353 Posts
Nope. No worry at all. The only time pitting would be a worry is if you had "bottom of the ocean for 20 years" pits in the topstrap or cylinder flutes, and with stainless, that'll never happen. Those may not be rust pits.......cops go places like drug labs where there are caustic chemicals, acids n' all sorts of harmful stuff, etc. Another one to shoot and enjoy. IMHO JayPee

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
LelandRay, that's a great looking 3" Model 10. I may have to put one like that on my wish list.....or a 2" would be fine too.

·
Registered
645 Posts
jshox,

Welcome aboard sir, glad to have you with us. You have a very fine example of the model 10 HB, thanks for sharing it with us, hope to see a range report on it soon.

papabear

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A really quick report on my first session last Friday with the Model 10-6......

There were no failures or malfunctions (not surprised). I don't have pictures of the targets, but I'm very impressed with its accuracy. The best results came while shooting double action at 5 yards, using Remington 130 grain metal case ammo. There was one ragged hole about the size of a quarter just below the X (POA). I also did some single action shooting at 15 yards.....gonna need to work to tighten those groups up a bit! But overall I'm really happy with this revolver.

·
Registered
392 Posts
classic S&W wheelys are my favorite in any caliber or frame size.....

if you ever worry about the utility of your gun, S&W will fix it up for a small fee, ensuring the timing and lock work are correct...they have top shelf customer service.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts