Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. At the last gun show, I came across a like new S&W 3" Model 625 chambered for .45 ACP and Auto Rim. Finally, I got a little unexpected free time and wagged it and several different loads in ACP and AR to the range.

I've owned a Model 625 5" Model of 1989 since I bought it new and wondered how this later incantation of the gun would perform.

This like new Model 625-6 was used for the range evaluation. I slapped on a pair of Eagle Secret Service grips and used them on the revolver during this shooting session. They will stay right where they are.

Cutting to the chase, there were no malfunctions of any kind and the revolver grouped very nicely with all of the ammo that I had available.

The 15 yard targets were fired while I was seated and with my wrists braced using sandbags. At 15 yards, I fired slow-fire and in single-action.

This 12-shot group was fired using a 255-gr. CSWC handload. (I mistakenly wrote "250-gr" on the target that is pictured.) None of the groups fired at 15 yards were larger than this one.

I only fired on "practical" type target using the same 255-gr. handload. It was done at 7 yards, standing, two-handed and in double-action with each shot fired as quickly as I could obtain a sight picture.

The Model 625 handled plenty well in double-action. The 3" gun surprised me in that it had considerably more muzzle flip than my 5" version.

I also chronographed several loads from this revolver. Average velocities are based on 10 shots fired 10' from the muzzle.

Model 625-6 3" Average Velocities (ft/sec):

.45 Auto Rim:

Corbon 160-gr. DPX: 1052

200-gr. Sierra Competition JFN: 707
4.2-gr. Bullseye
WLP Primer
R-P Cases

200-gr. Speer JHP: 858
7.2-gr. Unique
WLP Primer
R-P Cases

Corbon 230-gr. FMJ: 801

255-gr. Kead CSWC: 810
6.0-gr. Unique
WLP Primer
R-P Cases

.45 ACP w/Moon Clips:

Corbon 185-gr. DPX +P: 972

Winchester USA 230-gr. FMJ: 797

Winchester Ranger 230-gr. JHP: 843

Federal 230-gr. HST +P: 921

There were no malfunctions of any kind and no shooting was done beyond 15 yards. It was just too hot and I didn't have much time.

In short, I am more pleased with this revolver than I initially expected and will be hanging on to it.

For those interested in a more detailed report:

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/S&W%20Model%20625%20Snub%20Range%20Evaluation.htm

Best.

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Hello Mr. Camp,

I'm real glad it's more than you'd hoped for and I knew it had to be a Pre-Lock when I first saw the thread title... and sure enough, the photo proved it.

Take Care,

G

·
Big bore revolvers are way cool...that one is performing well, indeed.

At the annual peace officer memorial ceremony here in Sacramento last month, I actually saw a Lieutenant with some local department here in California carrying a 4" stainless K or L frame...not sure which. He had clearly been around the block once or twice and was surrounded by young coppers carrying Glocks and Sigs. I'm thinking that that Lieutenant is a man who would not lose his head in a gunfight and would make every one of those shots count...just a guess, but I'm thinking those bullets go where he tells them to...

Bob

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi Stephen,

A very nice revolver that appears to be as accurate as it is nice looking!

They were the cat's meow for shooting bowling pins some years ago and hopefully still are!

A lot a great things have been written about the 625 and I hope they are around for some time to come!

Chris

·
Registered
430 Posts
3" Revolvers are my favorite. .45 ACP is my favorite. 3" revolver in .45 ACP has to be a winner!

Stephen, I am beyond green with envy! Congratulations on that fine piece!

-Rob

G

·
SAC, it looks like a perfect house gun to me! Milt Sparks makes a great belt holster; I have one for my M325. I hope you enjoy your new toy. Regards, Richard

This is the holster that I refer to, it is a PMK:

G

·
Mighty fine shooting as usual Sir. Thanks for the look see at a great little gun in action. I seriousy doubt a BG woud survive a social encounter with you and that in hand.

G

·
Stephen,

Interesting about your gun's muzzle flip.

My four-inch 625 is pretty danged stable. An alloy-framed 325 I once had kicked and bucked like something you'd pay money to see at a rodeo. My 3-inch .44 special also has more flip than I expected.

I don't own any 3-inch K frames, but seems like four inches might be the limit for well-behaved N frames.

Max

G

·
Mr. Camp,

Excellent report! Looking closely at the data you captured it appears the velocities for some of the loads in the 3" are greater than the 5". Is that normal?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts