Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

After posting my initial thread on the SIG P239, I decided yesterday to go ahead and get one!

This morning, I headed to the Myrtle Beach Indoor Shooting Range which is the local authorized SIG dealer to pick up and shoot the SIG that I have had my eyes on for some time now.

I am not a new owner to SIG handguns and have owned a P232 in the past, which wound up not "being my cup of tea" back then as the automatic would chew up the fleshy part of the top of my hand.

However, I was in the market for some of SIG's "engineered performance" according to their web site and also have developed a recent appetite for the .357 SIG round.

Here is the SIG as it comes packaged from the factory with one additional magazine, instruction book and some other "neat" collateral.

Upon examination, the P230 is typical of SIG's P-series of handguns and according to the manufacturer was developed as a response to Law Enforcement and Federal Agents as both a back up and off duty carry weapon. With its compact size, it appears that it does indeed fill this roll admirably.

Here are the specifications as listed on SIG's website:

Caliber 9mm / 357 SIG, .40 S&W
Trigger Pull DA/SA 10.0lbs, 4.5 lbs
Overall Length 6.6 inches
Overall Height 5.1 inches / 5.2 inches
Overall Width 1.2 inches
Barrel Length 3.6 inches
Mag Weight 2.3 oz / 2.4 oz
Sight Radius 5.2 inches
Sights Contrast
Mag Capacity 8 / 7
Available Finish Nitron, Two Tone
Grips Polymer
MSRP $739
CA Compliant Yes

The magazine capacity is 8 rounds in .357 SIG.

Now was the best part of the morning. Going and actually test firing my newest aquisition. In spite of my earlier concerns that the P239 would not fit my hands, I was astounded about how well balanced it was and the reach was just about "perfect" for my fingers. The grip indexed naturally in my hands assuring me of consistant grip retention from both one and two handed holds.

The Sig night sights contrasted very nicely in the darkly lit shooting range and were a relief for my aging eyesight!

With a little trepidation, I loaded up both magazines with Winchester's .357 SIG 125 FMJ target/range ammunition (stock # 04309) and proceeded to the shooting line.

In spite of some of the numerous comments I've heard about the .357 SIG round, the load was not at all unpleasant to shoot and the "felt" recoil really was similiar to a "hot" 9mm round in one of my Hi Powers. All of the shots went to point of aim and point of impact. I could tell almost right away that this handgun could shoot better than I could hold it in terms of mechanical accuracy!

It was absolutely freezing cold in the range today when I shot this target! The temp was just above 32 degrees! The SIG shot POA/POI with the tested ammunition. Other ammo will be tested in the near future!

I estimate that the double action trigger pull was a smooth 6 pounds with a very nice let off and the single action pull at least 1/2 of that. The nice even trigger pull helped achieve some respectable accuracy from this handgun.

In summary, I believe that the SIG P239 will suit me well. I suspect that the SIGARMS company slogan of "to hell and back reliability" is going to true in the case of this SIG 239.

Chris

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Mr. Chris

(Grinning) always nice to welcome another victim to Sigitis, especially when they enjoy the 357 Sig like me. I am glad to hear your first impressions were so positive, and that it did fit your large hands better than you had initially felt it would. Hopefully you feelings will stay on the high side over time.

I know I carry my 226R with total confidence, with my 229 as a backup at times. It helps me that both will take the 226 mag if needed too. I hope to be able to get back to my reloading bench in the next day or two. When I do I will be working up some new loads using the Zero 125 JHP with AA #9 powder. I will let you know what I think and share the recipe that mine seem to like the best if you are intersted.

I know that Sigs are not cheap. I figure I probably had about $1000 in each of my carry 226 pistols after adding the short trigger, Trijicons and extra mags. As I used to tell my now "ex" when she complained, I was one of the nicest folks I knew and I figured I was worth it, lol. There are some other high quality pistols for less money, like the CZs for example.

But welcome to the club sir, and now I expect to see at least a second vote for 357 Sig in future ammo surveys (tips my hat).

Keep us up to speed on your thoughts on your new "bottom feeder". Come to think of it, they do sort of remind me a bit of a great white.

twoguns

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello twoguns,

No, SIGs are definately not cheap as you have already attested to and I imagine Mr. Camp might agree, but they are well worth the money. Many years ago, I wanted a P-220, and eventually owned a P-232 for a short time.

I wanted the SIG to be in the "easy to conceal, easy to carry" category and as I have mentioned many times in .357 SIG. The flat profile and great ergonomics make this an "ideal" candidate for my purposes.

Next on the shopping list, will be a quality leather rig to tote this little beast in.

My hat is off to you twoguns for introducing me to the .357 SIG round and to Mr. Camp and you for your fabulous reviews of the SIG P series of handguns.

And just a post note, I still haven't stop "grinning" from my first range session with the SIG 239. I am more than enthusiastic about my latest aquisition!

Chris

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Mr. Chris,

Be very very careful now. I am starting to think your 239 might enjoy a playmate before too long.

Seriously, you are very welcome. I don't claim to know very much. But I am always willing to share what little I might know with anyone who will benefit from it. I am very happy I could help you out with both my views on Sigs and on my favorite carry round now, thd 357 Sig.

Keep us posted. I will hopefully do some reloading by early Saturday morning. Once I have shot them next Tuesday, I will let you know what my pistols seemed to like the best. Of course that does not mean your 239 will like the same powder charge. But I have noticed very little difference in how my 226 and 229 have grouped any load fired through them.

In my opinion, Sigs in general, at least 226s and my 229 do tend to be very accurate pistols out of the box. From your target the 239 seems to be as well. I have never seen one on a range that did not shoot better than the shooter holding it could.

But again, I am happy you are so happy. Glad I could provide you what info I could.

twoguns

·
Registered
430 Posts
Congrats on your purchase Chris! I actually shot a P239 today in 9mm. I had a free range rental and it was a pistol that had peaked my interest for awhile. So, I checked it out and took it for a test run.

My personal opinion is, it is a wonderful firearm, the single stack is a great fit for my medium sized hands. Function on my range gun was so-so, my father with large hands had problems with the trigger reset being too long. I had several failures of the slide to lock back and one peculiar problem, where the gun fired, slide cycled perfectly, but it failed to pick up the last round in the magazine and chamber it. I attribute all of the problems to the fact the gun was DIRTY and probably a weak magazine spring. I'm a gun clean freak and gun was about as dirty as they come.

Accuracy? Yes please! The Sig I shot had it in droves. My first magazine left a ragged hole at 3 yards which only got subsequently larger at 7 and then 15 yards. In fact on a standard 25 yard pistol target, 58 of the 66 rounds I fired went through the same hole. The other 8 got divided up, 6 in the 9 point ring, 1 in the 8 point ring, and 1 in 7 point that was a 15 yard D/A flyer that was my fault.

I like the workings of the Sig overall. One personal thing I didn't like about the gun is the way the decock lever feels when you depress it, the "staged" decock feels less positive and just strange to me. I suppose I'm used to hammer drop safeties or the decock on my Ruger P95 which is a straight positive drop. It was purely a personal preference, but took some getting used to.

Sorry to hijack your thread with my review Chris. I just felt since we're praising the 239 I'd toss in my two cents. Once again congrats on your new pistola, I hope I can find a nice used one soon. As after my range session today, I think it only makes since to buy a gun I like shooting!

-Rob

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Rob,

Thank you for your comments on the range SIG that you and your father shot. It's good stuff and I like hearing about folk's experiences with pistols that I buy all of the time. It gives me a good perspective on my decisions.

There are many things one has to get "used" to with a new pistol and I agree the decock lever is one of them. The only other two pistols that I own with that feature is my Walther P-5 and my J.P. Sauer and Sohn German Automatic, which was the first pistol introduced for commercial mass production with a "decock" lever.

Just a side note to you Rob, throughout the time I was considering a purchase of a used P239, I did find a couple CPO (certified preowned) SIG P239s in .357 SIG. I did consider them and they do come from the factory with a 1 year limited warranty. They are available in grade 1, grade 2, and grade 3 based on their condition. They seem to run about $150.00 to $200.00 less in price than a new SIG.

One thing that I would like to share is that my purpose for selecting this model over a "full size" model is that it is going to become a primary CWP weapon my Glock 23 that I have. Dimensionally, it is smaller and I have become a real fan of the .357 SIG caliber.

I just ordered a GALCO Summer Special to carry it in and will do a report in the leather section when I have a chance to try it out.

Chris

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I thought you might like the P239.

I posted about my experience in your "P239 Comments" thread. I'm biased in favor of SA autos, but liked the P239 .357 Sig I had. If I were to go to DA/SA autos I'd probably carry my P220 and a P239, or if limited to just a smaller gun only, I'd carry the P239 and be happy.

·
Registered
180 Posts
The SIG 239 is pretty much at the top of my list as to how I'm going to..ahem...dispose of my New Years bonus

I'm strongly considering going with the .357 SIG flavour, "just beacuse" (ie I have 2 9mm pistols and 2 .45's - see no reason for a .40).

I'm just wondering if the .357 SIG calibre brings much to the table in that size gun that a good +P 124 gr 9mm (ie Golden Sabre or Gold Dot) doesn't already accomplish.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
werewolf,

The more I shoot the 357 Sig, the more I want to shoot it. Secret Service, Air Marshals and Texas DPS have all started carrying the caliber. Everything I have heard suggests they are all very happy with it's performance in real world situations.

I can not get this link to work right now. But it is: www.handguninfo.com/Archieve/www.Pete-357.com. If you can find the site, you will find some good info that will let you compare the round against some others, including the 40 and 9mm.

I did a general search when I wanted to find more loading info on the 357 Sig and this site popped up. It had a lot of information with very little smoke in my opinion. You might find it interesting.

twoguns

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hello BarryinInd,

Well, you were very correct. I do like it with the limited amount of shooting that I have done with it so far.

I did perform a informal "test" while I was at the range.

I asked two Horry County Deputies to give the SIG .357 a try while I was there. Both work there as part time employees and shot a couple of rounds for effect. They were both tremendously impressed with the round and the pistol. Their comments included, "less muzzle flip than their issued Glocks and shoots like "dream". Both deputies issue duty weapon is the Glock 22 in .40 S&W.

In my opinion, this is "real world" feed back and very important to me.

Personally, I am of the opinion that the round brings much to the table in terms of .357 magnum performance in a autoloader. The practice ammo from both Remington and Winchester clocks 1,350 ft/sec.

Werewolf, I have several .45 1911's and 9MM pistols. My initial experiment was conducted with the .357 conversion barrel in my Glock 23. After shooting that combination, I HAD TO HAVE the .357 SIG in a SIG pistol. My criteria was a concealable package in a handgun with the best ergonomics and factory trigger available.

Admirably and in spite of my earlier trepidation about the "smallish" grip size, it really does fit like a "glove" and shoots like a "champ".

Chris

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Actually, I really think if you did, you would ask yourself why you waited so long, lol.

Check that site if you can find it and read some of his articles. He compares the 357 Sig to other rounds such as 40, 9, and 45. He also has done a great deal of testing for various reloads of it and some other calibers. I have been reloading for about 35 years now, and found several of his articles really informative.

My best suggestion is try to find a range gun in 357 Sig and give it a try to see what you think. To me it packs much more stopping power with much less felt recoil than a 40 does. The only reason I like 40s is because you can buy the conversion barrels to turn them into 357 Sigs.

If you followed the previous thread Chris started on the 239 Sig, you will notice that some folks love the 357 Sig, while some do not for various reasons. Chris is like me and feels the felt recoil on a much hotter round is noticably less than a 40.

But not everyone agrees with that. That is why I suggest you try to shoot the caliber first, even if they do not have a Sig to try. Then shoot a 239 if they have that range gun too. You may or may not like the 357 Sig, and there is really only one way to find out.

I have a steel framed 226R in stainless, that I bought in 357 Sig, along with the 40 barrel. Recently I added the 9 down barrel and a good 9mm like a Gold Dot feels like a weak 9mm in that platform. I also have the 229 on the alloy frame in 357 Sig and 40. My Sig barrel lives in both of them now, unless I just feel the urge to shoot a different caliber. With my Sigs it is simply a barrel change, as I use the same mag for all calibers.

twoguns

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hello twoguns,

Originally, it was planned to acquire a P-220 from many years of planning and looking.

In the end, it came down "what could I carry and conceal the best...."

Your advice is top notch and I am not going to be disappointed with my decision!

And yes, I do wonder why I took so long to acquire a SIG....I believe that the caliber certainly does indeed have a lot going for it.

I am afraid my Glock is going on the auction block soon.

Chris

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Mr. Chris,

I am really glad to hear you are still very happy with you newest bottom feeder (grinning).

For those folks who are fans of Glocks, I am sure someone will gladly jump at yours quickly, especially with the 357 Sig barrel and magazine you may elect to include in the deal.

See how polite and professional I was able to remain while talking about "brand x" (grinning).
At least your option will turn a profit and give someone a new toy as well.

I will be visiting my buddy at his gun store very soon, no later than early next week. I need to take his belated Christmas present to Mr. and Mrs. I will not forget to get his thoughts on a 226 and 226R for you.

Enjoy Sigitis, but maybe I should have spent a bit more time talking about just how serious that condition can be, sorry.

twoguns

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Hello Chris,

I would not be to sorry about the Glock... with your Springfield Champion, SW 1911, FN and FEG HPs, Walther P5, Sauer 38 and Sig P239, you have a nice assortment and no time for plastics.

Bye.

L.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hello Larry,

I believe this SIG P-239 will replace the Glock 23 as my CWP handgun.

Now I need some time to practice with it.

Chris

1 - 17 of 17 Posts