Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first impression of the RIA 1911A1 is it is one hell of a gun for the price. Fit seems to be top shelf. Mine is used and it received a two tone Duracoat Finish from Mike Adams Customs. The Duracoat is even and very attractive. The pistol is tight with no side to side slide movement. This pistol is also soft, it feels like it had a carry bevel. The trigger is good with no slack but its pull is a little heavy for my tastes. The magazine that came with the pistol did not operate the slide stop but other magazines do. The irony is that the magazine that came with the pistol seems to work perfectly in my Springer Mil-Spec.

The exterior of the CZ82 9x18 Makarov is less than perfect but the interior is like new. The only negative I can see is what appears to be a lack of rifling. I plan to shoot it first before I gripe. This pistol is a good choice for lefties as the safety and magazine release are ambidextrous. I can also say the trigger appears to be good and the pistol feels great in my size 12 hands.

I have a full plate for today or I would be at the range with the RIA 1911A1 and the CZ82 9x18 Makarov. More information will follow shortly.

Regards,

Richard

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did get to the range yesterday with the RIA 1911A1 45acp and CZ82 9x18 Mak. All shooting was at 10 yards; I just wanted to do function testing.

I will start with the CZ82 9x18 Mak, this pistol is like new inside but the exterior has chips missing from its paint. The factory grip feels great in my size 12 hands and it has very good sights. I have strong hands but the magazine was hard to load to capacity, I will try to find a loading tool somewhere. This pistol is combat accurate and 100% reliable. My major faults with the CZ82 9x18 Mak are it is a larger pistol, many 9mms are not much smaller and it exhibits stout recoil. If one were looking for a carry weapon I am sure they would be better served by a subcompact 9mm.

The RIA 1911A1 45acp is a jewel. The pistol experienced one malfunction in 60 rounds and that was caused by a weak recoil spring. The sights are small but you can hit what you aim at if you concentrate. All shots went into a Clementine orange size hole at the designated 10 yards. The trigger is a lot heavier that what I am used to but shooting may lower it. There was no creep in the trigger. The prior owner had worked on the pistol; it has rubber Hogue grips and a lowered ejection port. The pistol was Duracoated before I bought. The pistol compares very well with the Springfield Mil-Spec I put together. If this example is consistent with RIA 1911A1 45acp function and quality I do not hesitate to recommend it.

Lastly, I checked with Mike Adams Customs and the Duracoat in two-tone cost is $180. I gave $370 including shipping for the RIA 1911A1 45acp; considering the cost of the Duracoat I got a bargain.

Regards,

Richard

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SAC, did you agree or disagree with my comments on felt recoil? I talk to Terry Murbach on a regular basis and he agrees with me. I enjoy shooting my Bersa Thunder 45, Glock 30, or S&W CS 45 more than a fixed barrel 380 or 9x18 Mak. It might just be me. Regards, Richard

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Hello, Richard. I've not shot the CZ in the 9x18mm Mak so I can't say. I do not recall any particularly heavier than expected recoil in the 380 version.

Best.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Hi Richard. I see you got yourself a couple of nice pistols there. I really like the RIA as that paint job is very good indeed. I am glad to hear they are both shooting good for you. Good luck with them both.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts