Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hy folks!!

I was able to make a very interesting observation.

As you know, I live at 3600 m over sea level (about) 11.800 feet altitude.

I was in Miami last week, to make a course in medical devices. There was a colleague that lives in Miami that invited me to fire some rounds. We fired .22 9 mm and 45 ACP No rifles, just pistols.

I was surprised about the lower recoil from the pistol firing at sea level. It seems to be that the atmospheric density which is lower here in La Paz (680 mb against 1048 mb in Miami) makes the bullet faster and with more energy. Do you have some comments about this?

I also have to tell you have nice gun stores there in the US gents. I just was not able to walk out of the stores. AYAYAYAY. I suffered because I could not purchase a lot of things because I had not a license of our local ministry of defense to bring all the toys I would have purchased. I just purchased some cleaning stuff, and a chair. Next time, I will make all the paperwork needed for our customs, and bring some money to the US to clean out at least one store!!!!!!!!!!

· Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What I have to add, is that I had a better accuracy in Miami than in La Paz. I can imagine that the higher air density makes the bullet trajectory more stable, but it can also be that I was excited to be there with my old friends. ;)

The extreme altitude and atmospheric pressure as well as humidity difference between Miami and La Paz might make the difference appreciable to the shooter. But the lower recoil power in Miami was definitively noticeable. (I have not measured the bullet speed)

Anyway, I invite you to spend your holidays in my beautiful country and make your experiences. I will be happy to take you to our nice highest range in the world. You can use my guns.

· Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Let me add something.

We have started this year with high caliber Bench 300m. I am using a Mauser, open sights.
Last year we shot about 200m.
I thought I should target a tittle bit higher, but the bullets went over the target. To have better accuracy I had to shoot even lower than last year. And note, the Mauser is from factory prepared to fire straight at 300 m. Some comments?

· Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It seems to be that expansion is more violent. And catrige pressure is not the only issue. Density of air is important, as well as the air pressure against the end of the barrel and air pressure in the whole barrel lenghth.
We were douing some calculations at the university, and believe it or not, air pressure and air density are very important even it air pressure differences with altitude are miniscule compared to catridge's pressure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.