Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a couple months now, I've been asking about different kinds of pistols. I finally made my decision and bought one at a gun show today. I went to look at a few different handguns, to compare and maybe buy.
I handled all of them at the same booth, which kind of surprised me. They had 2 Baby Eagles, a 40 and a 9mm. The 9mm was a compact model with a polymer frame. Theyre nice, but the didnt quite fit my hand right. I also looked at an EAA poly-witness, a CZ-85 (not a 75 to be found), a Springfield XD, and a BHP in 40cal. Some fit my hand better than others. The XD-9 wasnt bad, but there was just something about it that I didnt like, and I couldnt quite put my finger on it. The Hi-Power and the CZ fit my hand really well, but both were tu-tone finished. After all the fussing and handling, trying to decide, I finally settled on a NIB Beretta 92FS. I paid asking price for it, because after a small walk-around the show, I saw Taurus 99s going for what he wanted for a NIB Beretta. Turns out, the only lower priced 92 there was a used green finished model. The other new pistols were all within $30-$40 more than I paid, so I feel I got a decent deal.

Thanks for all the help and advice.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Congrats on the new purchase I think you will be happy
with the Beretta 92
Ive had a Taurus PT92 AF for years it is one of my
favorites and best shooters.

Gil...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gil-
I should mention that your bad experiences with the EAA customer (lack of) service was one of the main points steering me away from them. That was a shame, because that looked like a nice little pistol you had.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Hello Travis,

You can't go wrong with a 92 if it handles well in your hand. In normal conditions, at least, reliability is top. I have experienced with 4 (!) 92 SB and FS Compact to say it. Accuracy and ergonomy are good too. So don't hear to the usual bashing on these.

Enjoy.

L.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hello travis

I'm glad the thread was of help to you. I really don't think it should be sooooooo hard to get decent service.
I can only imagine what I would have to go through to get internal parts.
One of the main reasons I buy from Midway is because
I can read the customer reports or post one if I feel
its necessary.
Anyway I think you made a Great decision let us know
how it shoots.

Gil....

·
Registered
241 Posts
Congrats. I carried an M-9 for a few years in the military and today have 2 Taurus 92s. In time you may just get a High Power to add to your collection, then a 1911, then a Sig..... etc

·
Registered
103 Posts
Travis
I almost forgot to tell you I ended up getting a BHP MKIII 40 cal. when I traded the eaa . I should have done that in the first place, Havent shot it yet due to the
weather. Well see about next weekend.

Gil..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ThreeFeathers-
I'm slowly building a collection. I started with the intention of buying a BHP in 9mm to sit alongside the 1911.

Gil-
I handled a MKIII BHP at the show as well. It was a 40, and had a tu-tone finish I didnt particularly care for.
It wore a set of Pachmayer wrap-around grips, which could account for it not being comfortable (to me, anyway). Had it been a 9mm, I would have been more interested.

There's already a spot in the collection reserved for a HP. Its just a matter of finding the one I want.

I've shot a few mags thru the Beretta to test function, but I havent gotten serious about accuracy testing yet. I'm off in the afternoons this week, and I start a 4-day break saturday, so I'll carefully squeeze off a few at a real target soon, and post back. In my function testing (which was flawless), It seems to be shooting about 2" to the left. Of course, this is offhand, in sub-optimal weather conditions, with a handgun I'm not quite used to. It shoots cloverleaf groups, its just a matter of getting them where the sights are pointing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts