Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy folks,

Well after all the great pics, range reports and posts from other members finding a nice Smith revolver without the lock, I finally managed to luck into one. I really did not need the motivation as much as just the luck.

My buddy who owns my favorite gun store, had squirreled a 3" RB model 65 Smith away for me in his safe. I ran over yesterday with my shooting buddy, Mr. John who wanted to pick up a pistol being held for him. Mr. Gary just sort of grinned after saying hello, walked in the back, came out and put the model 65-6 on the counter beside me.

I checked it out thoroughly, and smiled when I confirmed the timing appears to be perfect. One of the store employees had thought about buying it, and their gunsmith had already done a very nice action job on it before the employee's wife changed his mind. If this one has been shot at all, it simply was not much. When I got through I smiled, pulled out my pen and said well where is that dang paperwork.

Sorry folks, no pics right now. I really do need to get a decent digital camera for my gun and range pics. When I do, I will do my best (once properly figured out) to catch up most of my posts by adding some gun pics.

I have not had the chance to shoot it yet, but will just as soon as I can work up some reloads. Somewhere in a couple of boxes in my gun room I have dies and bullets for calibers I did not anticipate reloading anymore. Just need to find the correct box and get busy.

When I have danced with her, I will let you folks know how we did together.

It really is nice to back among the Smith revolver owners again, as I have missed mine. They are still out there without the locks, but they sure have been really hard to find around my neck of the woods.

twoguns

·
Regulator,
3,441 Posts
Twoguns,

Congrats! I see the deal came through. If I can find one I'd like to get a 3" M65 myself.
In the meantime I'll just have to content myself with my 3" M-24 .44 Special...

Wes

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hello Mr. Twoguns,

I suspect that it will become a favorite as mine has become one of my "do not sell for any reason" revolvers, because I believe the 3" M-65 is about the handiest, most powerful revolver in its class of stainless steel K-frames.

Back around 1993, I had picked up a police turn-in Massachussetts State Police Marked 3" M-65 and owned it for about a year. Sadly, I decided to sell it on another handgun not realizing that it was probably one of the best revolvers I would ever own. I carried it on the family farm in Virginia in a Uncle Mikes hip holster and would take it afield hunting with me.

Years later, after I got older, wiser and grayer, I realized that it was indeed one of the nicest revolvers I'd ever owned and began my search again.

One day, I walked into my local pawn shop/gun dealer and laying in the used handgun display case lay a rather "beaten and forlorn" M-65 3" incher. When I saw it, I immediately told the salesman, my friend Bobby, I'll take it!

I took it home and upon subsequently shooting it, I discovered that the tip of the cylinder pin was flattened and off to S&W it went for repair. When it came home, I refitted it with the brand new stocks that it now wears.

My M-65 is a great shooter and combines all the basic essentials of what a truly great revolver should be in my opinion that include power, size, concealability.

Congradulations on aquiring yours sir and we look forward to hearing how it shoots for you.

Best,

Chris

·
Registered
399 Posts
Well Mr Twoguns I am happy for ya. You have got one of S&W's finest in the M-65/3". I like Chris let one go when I was a young man. I had this dumb idea in my head that they make new ones everyday. Anyway I will be looking forward to your range report. I know you are going to have some fun with your new M-65/3". Good shooting.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hello baldy,

I got a chuckle out of this one:

I like Chris let one go when I was a young man. I had this dumb idea in my head that they make new ones everyday.
Fortunately, as I have gotten older, I have come to realize that they do not indeed, "make 'em like they used to...."

My M65-5 will go towards my children's inheritance when I pass.

Chris

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Howdy folks,

Thanks to everyone for your kind words, they are truly appreciated.

I carried one of these fine revolvers back in my revolvers only period as a local. I have to admit, it holds a special place for me. Part of me thinks I am typing this one right now because I did carry one of these years ago too.

It really is going to be fun to be able to dance with this lady again after so many years now. I just have to crank out some rounds and am already looking forward to my first range session.

Don't expect a Mr. Steve or Mr. Chris level range report, but I will do the best I can for sure, lol. I really do need to find myself a no frills digital camera. Mostly I want to be able to take photos of my weapons and targets. I will never use it for professional type work, so I don't need to pay extra for lights and whistles I will never make use of.

Thanks again folks. I will gladly relate my initial thoughs at my first chance.

twoguns

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
I don't think there is a finer revolver on the planet than the K Frame 3" S&Ws! I have never ever felt badly armed with one. Two is good too...

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Congrats, amigo! I like mine a lot - and several friends have bought them after I got mine, and they like theirs tons as well. Welcome to the club! :)

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Howdy Mr. Erich and Mr. Oberstlt,

Thanks to both of you as well. I do agree these are mighty hard guns to beat. Maybe an L frame 3" beats em by a hair, and maybe not. But they are excellent weapons in my opinion.

It is great to join the club and have my own membership card again too after a few too many years.

twoguns

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
I have never had much experience with L Frames as they came out after I left LEOing. I like an N Frame for big bores (41/44/45). And, always liked the Python for full bore 357s but found the rear sights (Accro or Elliason) to be too delicate for street use. My favorite gun show dealer just bought out a bunch of 4" SB fixed sights (681?) and I wanted one but could not justify having that much gun in that little caliber. I would love one in 41 SPL but 41 is such an odd lot now in magnum I can barely justify it. Thus I have always preferred the M13/65 to the L Frame for carry.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Howdy sir,

As you may have noticed, I am a big fan of the 4" model 57 in .41 mag. I carried one for 5 years, while working homicides/armed robberies/major felonies/narcotics. My last Chief declared it an excessive force suit waiting to happen and rescinded my previous authorization for duty use.

We were using duty loads for quals for about my last 5 years there. At that point, we were still required to purchase our own duty weapon, which unless otherwise blessed by the Chief, had to be a 4" .357 magnum of some reputable brand. Which largely meant during that time frame mostly Smiths, a few Colts, and even fewer Rugers.

As I always preferred using a stout magnum load for carry and all my practice, I bought a 4" 686 as soon as they were released and carried it as my duty when in uniform (rare) and as one of my primaries in plain clothes. They were new enough then I had to buy Python holsters to carry it in.

The Chief finally purchased issued weapons, selecting the 4" model 65. We had to argue hard since the HP and others local jurisdictions carried magnum rounds to get the 65 rather than the 64 he wanted to buy. We had to carry .38 spc loaded, but could carry .357 mag for reloads. I never understood his logic there, but like a judge, even when you are right, you rarely win that argument.

About a year after I left there to go federal, a good friend there told me that they had upgraded to 4" 686s because the steady diet of duty rounds was taking its toll on the K frames. That Chief had been fired shortly after I left (a few months), and the troops immediately went back to using magnums loads for duty and quals.

Since they will use the same grips, a lot of departments converted over to the L frames when the trend to avoid improper training lawsuits involved shooting duty rounds for quals. The Ks are excellent weapons, and one of my all time favorites, but they were simply never designed to handle a steady diet of hot magnums.

I never owned one, but the fixed sight versions were suppose to be excellent weapons too. I would simply always prefer the adjustable sights, so I could pick whatever load I wanted to carry, and be able to dial it in at POA/POI. With the fixed sights it has been my personal experience I have to try a few brands and weights, and then select the one that is closest to POA/POI.

In actual use I have never really felt the L frames were that much heavier than the Ks, but were beefier enough where it really matters to handle hot loads steadily. If you ever get the chance to spend some time with one, I will personally be suprised if you are not impressed and largely reminded of the K frames.

twoguns

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I had a nice 681 marked by the NY State Police, but I sold it when I had the chance to buy a NIB M520. I kind of wish I'd kept the 681, but the NYSP armorer had cut the front sight to their duty load, and I had no idea what that load was. The 520 is too pretty to carry around with me.

Truth is, of all the K frames I own, I like the 3" M10 and the 2.5" M66-1 most of all, but I'd love to have a 3" M65. I think it would be the absolutely perfect blend of caliber, ergonomics and barrel length. I guess for 3" I'll have to stick to the M10, but the 4" 65 I got yesterday is sure a nice consolation.

Congratulations on the new S&W, Twoguns. No matter how much I like my autos for "serious social intercourse," I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for revolvers.

PS: Here, Twoguns. Mr. Walter did this S series M58 for me. How do you think it would work as a "working gun"? :)

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Howdy Mr. LelandRay,

You are making my mouth water like a kid in a candy store now sir. That is one gorgeous lady you have there, especially with the Black-T added. I can not even see any cylinder wear marks on her. Folks either love the .41 mag or they simply do not understand why others do - no middle ground in my view. Yes sir put a set of Pachs on that lady, and I would be carrying her for sure. I would have another pistol or two on me for social purposes, but if she sang first I am simpy not sure anything else would be needed.

If you ever lose your mind and decide to part with her, please yell at me first, lol. But I am not holding my breath either. Thank for sharing that gorgeous lady with the rest of us sir.

I sort of think of that one as a king sized model 13 on steroids, well ok, serious steroids.

twoguns

·
Regulator,
3,441 Posts
Twoguns,

I share your love of the .41 Mag. Lelandray appears to have impecable taste, as well.
Of all my revolvers my 4" M-57 (no dash) would be the last I would give up. I've been without revolvers in .22, .38, .357, and .44 calibers, but since I purchased my first .41 I have NEVER been without one.
Wish our choice in factory ammo was better, though.

Wes

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hello All,

My first ever handgun purchase was a S&W M-58 in .41 Magnum when I was young and lived in Virginia. It was used and holster worn, but accompanyed me on the family farm serving wild dog duty.

I soon traded it for a Taurus PT-92.

If I had known then, what I indeed know now--I would still own it. Hindsight is alway's 50/50, but it has taught me an important lesson--keep my M-65!

Chris

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Howdy folks,

I do have to agree, some lessons are indeed learned the hard way. But they are indeed the best learned ones too. My model 65, or any other pre-lock Smith revolver I am able to get my hands on again, will simply never be sold or traded. They are just becoming more and more difficult to find, at least in my neck of the woods.

I do wish I still had my model 57, 4" sitting in my safe now. Like Mr. Wes noted, I would personally sell a .44 mag before giving up a .41 mag. But that is simply a matter of personal preference too. I would carry the .41 mag for self defense if the need arose, as I did exactly that for 5 years in my wilder youth. Unless I downloaded or found a light 44 load, I am not sure I would strap on a .44 mag for that role. If I did, I think it might be less effective than the .41 too. Of course, to qualify that, less effective than using my .41 mag handloads - which is simply another issue too, carrying roll your own for self-defense.

Maybe it is better I don't have the .41 mag temptation now after all, but man I sure do miss mine. If I ever stumble across a decent deal on a pre-lock 57/58 I just may have to give in one day. But I have other models I actually would carry first, so they have more priority right now too.

Still working on loading some up for my model 65. I do owe you folks a range report when I get to dance with her, and I will not forget that.

Shoot well and shoot often.

Paul

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Two guns;
I am not sure exactly what you are looking for but you might try the CCI Blazer .44 240 JHP. In my 4" guns it goes right at 1050 fps.

I have not shot anything with it but for me that is a pretty good range to be in. Though I like the Silver Tip just fine also (and Corbon makes defense loads that are very manageable).

Jim H.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts