Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

Until last wednesday, I was particularly fond of semi-auto pistols. I was just interested to buy a .357 Mag revolver for the fun

G

·
At least in the U.S.A., if you "came of age" in handgunning in the 1970's or later, then you probably became an aficionado of the autopistol, as it was being promoted as the handgun of the future in law enforcement and personal defense during this era. More firepower, better ergonomics, quicker to reload, easier to shoot fast and accurately, etc., etc. But revolvers have an extremely rich history, are commonly cheaper, are in the most powerful handgun cartridges, and --- over here --- high-quality used ones are commonly inexpensive and are bargains for what they offer.

Late-production Taurus revolvers are good guns. I wouldn't get another .357 with it, although this wouldn't necessarily be a mistake, but another caliber would "expand your horizons." If you loved shooting the Colt Trooper Mk III .357 Mag, then I don't think that you'll have a big problem with a full-sized revolver in .44 Magnum, like the Ruger New Blackhawk .44 Mag, 7 1/2" is.

Large-bore and magnum revolver ammo tends to be expensive here, too. There's is no getting around it, except to reload your own ammo if you want to shoot a lot.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hello Jonas,

I can only say that I own the S&W M-65 with a 3" barrel and have owned a couple of Ruger Single Actions. I do like the "thrill" of big bore handgun shooting, but for "everyday" practical purposes have to make my selections based on what activity I seek to use the firearm for its intended use.

As far as greater "all around" utility, I see the S&W M-65 as a rugged "do all" revolver and believe that it will satisfy the majority of shooting needs. It may not be as "fancy" or fun as its larger bore cousins, but it is more than adequate for the majority of shooting needs.

To illustrate this point, I was in a gunshop last week and while purchasing a SIG P-226 in .357 SIG, I spied a "lowly" S&W Model 10 in the display case. My heart just about lept from my chest and I almost purchased it on the spot! Why? Because it is the quinnessential American Revolver that has been carried and produced the longest and seen service all over the world!

I realize that you have some limited choices and decisions to make when you finally go to purchase your three handgun choices on your government issued "ticket" and I envy you in the choices that you have to make!

I am not certain about whether or not you have any plans to "reload" ammunition in the near future, but that might overcome the expense and ownership options for the big bore Ruger Blackhawk.

All and all, your selections you have mentioned are great choices!

However, if I lived in Switzerland and I do envy you, I would probably be looking at a SIG P-210, a Manhurin .357 revolver and a Walther P-22! Now, that would be a neat combination!

Chris

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your replies! Well, I still don't know if I'll buy the Super Blackhawk, but it looks so fine!!! I must handle it before I make my choice.

For the rest, my purchase list isn't locked

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hello Jonas,

No, I think that you are not "bad" in any sense of your loyalty to Swiss firearms. In general, you have access to some very "unique" choices and the Ruger Blackhawk is indeed a fine choice.

However, if I ever run into a SIG/Swiss Manufactured P-210 here in the US, I am going to have to go see my banker for a loan!!! LOL!

Jonas, I do enjoy my revolvers very much and one is my "always" carried handgun. They are dependable, simple and work all of the time!

Chris

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Mr. Jonas,

Hello again sir. I too think you have many great choices to select from. I have owned a 7.5" Ruger New Model Super Blackhawk in .44 mag, as well as a 6.5" Smith model 629, and I did enjoy shooting both revolvers. I have also owned and carried many fine .357 mag revolvers, including a model 65 3", that I carried for many years in law enforcement. Personally I think the 3" model 65 for the strengths/advantages it offers is really hard to beat.

I do reload extensively and have for many years. It is certainly an aspect of "shooting" I can suggest all gun owners add. It offers many benefits including both a greatly reduced expense and the ability to find the "perfect" round for your weapon. Much like an excellent tailor makes a suit you love, reloading will allow you to tailor a particular load to your weapon for that same perfect fit.

Your situation is perhaps a bit unique from most I have encountered. So I will offer my thoughts trying to remember your current situation, and the fact you do not reload. I think you would enjoy shooting a .44 mag, but I have to wonder just how many different loads you will be able to purchase for it too. As you noted, you can shoot .44 specials in one, as you can fire .38 specials in a .357 magnum. I think both the .44 rounds will be more expensive compared to the .357 mag rounds you can buy, as you already noted. So that is one thought to consider.

The suggestion to shoot a .44 mag first if possible, I think is an excellent one. Some people fall in love with the caliber instantly, and some simply say I just don't need to own one. Your situation limits you to 3 weapons. I do not know if you are allowed to obtain another 3 gun permit later.

If you can, then maybe I would suggest you wait to buy a .44 mag, in your next group of 3. But I would still suggest you shoot one first before deciding. I only say that as I would hate for you to purchase something you discovered you did not enjoy shooting. You do not have to be a "huge" person to enjoy the heavier magnum calibers. When I bought my first .44 mag I was 5'10", and weighed about 155 (oh how I miss the good old days weight wise now, grinning).

But I have always enjoyed shooting heavy magnum calibers, there is just a special appeal they hold for me. Sadly some medical problems I now have made me seriously think about all of my heavy magnum weapons. I ended up selling them, as I just did not think I could enjoy shooting them now as I once truly did. I personally do not want to own a weapon that I can not and do not shoot much. All of mine are fired often for the pleasure they can bring me.

If I recall correctly you are making your purchases for "pleasure shooting". Unless you are going to begin to reload, you might not be able to enjoy shooting a .44 mag very much, as the expense of the ammo might mean you buy less of it and more of other calibers on your trips to purchase ammo you can shoot.

I do not have a simple answer for you my friend, but I only wish to suggest some issues for you to consider in making your selections. I hope I have been able to help you a little in that way.

Please ask any other questions you may have. Many of our members here have had first hand experience with various brands and calibers. I am sure they would gladly share their thoughts with you - as you can already see we like to do.

Once you have made your purchases, I know we would enjoy hearing your thoughs and shooting experiences with them.

Good luck Mr. Jonas,

twoguns

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your long and detailed reply, twoguns! One fact: I can get all the purchase licenses I will, there's no number limitation in the Swiss law.
BUT my wife is stronger than the laws!!! I already have 3 handguns and a carabine. When I told her I wanted to buy 3 new ones, well, the reaction was not particularly enthusiastic!
So I don't know when I'll be allowed to get a new license

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Jonas,

Yes sir I do understand the need to keep a lovely wife smiling very well. Although happily divorced now, I do recall some of those looks far too well still, lol. Here is a trick I used with great success. Everytime I was about to walk in with a new firearm, I would stop at a jewelry store and find a peace offering to hand my wife.

It began to work so well, sometimes she would remind me I had not purchased a new "toy" as she came to call them, and say it might be a good time to add a new one.

Enjoy sir, and I really hope that suggestion might help a bit too (grinning).

twoguns

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hi, Jonas---

Just my two cents. My sentimental choice would be the .357 Ruger Blackhawk, before the transfer bar configuration, but I've got a weakness for single-actions. My ideal choice would be the Colt Python, in Royal Blue finish, not nickel, because the blued guns that didn't meet the fitters' standards were sent back to be nickeled. Stainless, well, another story. I think most LEO's you ask would say the Python was the best revolver made in America after the SAA. Then again, they're likely cost fifteen to eighteen hundred, US or Euros, NIB; a Colt Trooper would cost half that. (I can only inquire: a decent gun, or the near-perfect one?)

All the best,
David

·
Registered
399 Posts
Hey Jonas here's a few I wouldn't pass up if you can get them and they all three are a pleasure to shoot. They are 6" Colt Python, 4"m19 S&W in the center, and a 4"m21 S&W at the bottom. That's two .357s and a .44spl. not a mag. I do my own reloading and these rounds are fairly cheap for me to shoot. The .44spls are way to expensive to buy as I found out in a hurry. Good luck Sir.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hi Jonas,

Glad you have gotten bit by the bug. The same thing happened to me many years ago and I am not the least bit sorry. I now own a bunch of revolvers.

The .357 is a good one to start with, especially as you can shoot the less expensive and less noisy .38 specials through it. The same thing is true of the .44 magnum -- you don't have to shoot full-house .44 magnum loads. The .44 special is a pleasure to shoot and will work quite well through Super Blackhawk you mentioned.

But: don't give up too easily on the .22 revolver. If the Ruger Single Six is available, this is a great gun. You can shoot all day long with very little expense and no pain at all. The basics are always the same: sight alignment, trigger squeeze, breath control. I shoot more .22 than anything else put together.

Just some thoughts. Enjoy shooting whatever you get!

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy Mr. Jonas,

I hope you enjoy your choices very much. Please give us your thoughts once you have had the chance to shoot them.

To answer your question on the .44 mag, I think with the longer barrel if you felt any difference in felt recoil, it would be a bit less. How much less would depend on the ergonomics of the revolver - type of grips, shape of grip frame, etc.

At least you know how one feels now too. You can always take another look at one on your next 3 gun permit. Here is another thought. I don't know how easily you could find one, but you might want to shoot a .41 mag too. I carried a 4" m57 Smith revolver as a police officer until my last Chief of Police was afraid of excessive force lawsuits and made me stop. I thought it offered me very close performance to a .44 mag, with reduced felt recoil and faster recovery times in rapid fire. You might enjoy shooting a .41 mag a bit more than a .44. Only one way to find out.

Just don't forget the jewelry suggestion to make your wife smile a bit then too, when you get your next 3 gun permit, lol.

Enjoy them sir.

twoguns

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hello jonas,

Best of luck with your purchase!

Let us know when you have purchased your handguns and hopefully you can find the time to give us a "range report" on each!

Best,

Chris

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Mr. Jonas,

I sent you a pm with some information about the .41 Remington magnum, and some other calibers. I did not want to bother members by posting information they might not wish to read. If you have any questions about the information, please feel free to ask them in a pm.

Take care sir,

twoguns

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks a lot, Mr Twoguns! I read your long and interesting explanations and I'll reply very soon to your kind message.

.41 seems to be a nice caliber, but it's almost unknown in Swizterland. Some friends of could tell me the history of the caliber but no one evet shot it. I was told it was more expensive than .44

·
Regulator,
3,441 Posts
Jonas,

I agree with twoguns. The .41 Magnum is a great cartridge. I've had a number of them, but my "baby" is a mint Model 57(no dash number) Smith & Wesson 4".
The .41 suffered the fate of many revolvers...cops transitioning to hi-cap 9mm's and was always in the shadow of the .44 Magnum. To bad. The .41 is a great cartridge and will stand on it's own merit.
Ammo availability is OK, but there has never been the development of .41 ammo that the .44 Magnum has been subject to...There has been a "trickle down" effect, so to speak.
For arguments sake the bullet diameter of the .41 Magnum is .410" and the .44 Magnum is .429". Hardly worth argueing over.
My most used load is hard cast bullets in the 950-1,000 FPS range.
You just can't go wrong with the .41 Magnum.

Wes

G

·
[quote:7jnmsnu5]Now I have a new question about something completely different: the .17 HMR and the .17 HM2. I know the history of the caliber, I read that both are very accurate etc. I also know they're more expensive than .22 LR

1 - 20 of 20 Posts