Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Regulator,
2,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not too long ago a major manufacturer of AR-15's/M-16"s received reports back from clients in primitive nations of Africa describing an unacceptable level of jams and stoppages. The company sent teams to these counties and discovered that the locals had no cleaning materials to use in their firearms except cooking oil - i.e. animal fat, and obviously this was really stopping up the works.

So this company got together with the Army up at the Rock Island Arsenal and conducted a study to determine which commonly-available substances could be used to clean and maintain autoloading rifles and pistols. The study concluded that the best commonly-available solvent and light lubricant is common automatic transmission fluid, while the best lubricant is synthetic motor oil of an appropriate viscosity. The story goes that the Army has since accepted these findings and incorporated these substances into its regs as substitutes to CLP.

Well, being your basic skeptic, I had to try it out. So last month I came home from the range with a really grungy AR-15 and an Argentine FM 95 9mm pistol in the same condition. I cleaned and scrubbed both out with automatic transmission fluid and darn if it didn't work as well as any other solvent I've ever used. Its only drawback is that it doesn't remove copper, but on the plus side it tends to have some rust preventive qualities. As for the synthetic motor oil, a gunsmith buddy and I have used 20W Mobil 1 for a long time, as have a lot of ther shooters, so I kinda cheated there. So I keep a quart of ATF and another of Mobil 1 handy for just-in-case scenarios, and I can't see myself flooding and scrubbing the slide assembly of an auto pistol with expensive solvents any more. I'll report back as I get more experience with this idea.

Has anyone else tried this?

Best..

Jerry

·
Registered
218 Posts
Ditto joe4d. My gunsmith put me onto "paint thinner" a couple of years ago. I use unscented mineral spirits from Lowe's. After I give the firearm a good cleaning with it, I usually saturate it with Breakfree CLP, and then when that dries, a dab of Mobil One on places I feel that may need it.

Bert

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Way back before Walmart and Kmart made cleaning supplies easy to find, I used Marvel Mystery Oil for preservative and light lube. Amazing stuff, actually.

Roy Dunlop recce'd carburator cleaner for powder fouling.

Regards,

Pat

1 - 4 of 4 Posts