Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know nothing about Lugers. I understand that one could devote a lifetime to researching all the different variations, manufacturers, etc. Have an offer to purchase 1917 DWM military contract, all matching serial #'s (except mag.), about 90% finish. I assume it's worth $500.00. Do any of you have any knowledge in this area? Thank you.

G

·
Any Luger with matching parts and 90% of its original finish left for $500 is a steal (by perhaps $200-300 in my local market).

(In fact, the price would be good if it has been nicely refinished, the bore nice and the metal surfaces free of rust pits.)

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi there,

I just recieved another Southern Ohio Gun Wholesaler flyer and Finnish DWM Lugers are going for about $965.00 wholesale in NRA good condition.

The price offered sounds very attractive at $500.00 depending on condition.

Chris

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think the fact there are no importers marks on the piece I'm considering is attractive. This pistol probably looks like it did 80 yrs. ago-plus a few dings. Thanks for the insight gents.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
A few years ago, Vopos Lugers (East Germany police) were sold here for 500 francs (350 $ ?). I bought one, a 1918 DWM "combo" (slide combined with a mismatched fork, very tight). Genuine wood grips that came nice after vigorous cleaning, tool marks typical of late WWI manufacture, matt black refinish, a lot of nicks and marks and a pitted worn barrel, typical too of corrosive ammo use. It is a very good shooter anyway and I don't regret the deal.

About original finish: till 1936, lugers were hand blued, coat after coat. The inside of the frame and fork (slide) were left in the white.

Other pieces in the white:
firing pin, spring and guide
trigger bar (L under the dismounting plate) and axle
safety bar

Some pieces were yellowed by heat treatement (about 200 C grades):
trigger
stripping and safety levers
magazine button
ejector

Others were heat blued (230 C)
pins of the knuckle bolt
sear and magazine button springs
grips srews

Grips were checkered walnut till 1916 and beech (lighter) later.

When I cleaned my Luger, I polished in white the pieces mentionned above and gave them the correct color on the kitchen oven. When you heat, the piece gets yellow first, then red (not glowing red) then blue. If you do it to far you have a second chance (and 3rd...) by polishing the piece again in the white. Funny tinkering if the wife is open-minded.

L.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts