Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I'm new here and pretty new to Hi-Powers. I bought a 9mm and a .40 sfs from cdnn and I love them. Having decided to change the sights to Meprolights, I have been trying to drift off the rear sights. No movement as far as I can tell--and I have been using a full size carpenters hammer (with a brass rod, of course).

I just called FN and talked to a tech guy. I wanted to be sure that were not fastened with red Loctite or something. He says that those sights really just cannot be drifted without using a sight adjustment tool.

Can anyone confirm this or make other suggestions? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Hello. I've moved them with the slide in a padded vise and using a brass punch with the end perfectly flat and a hammer. They are tight and the Mk III's having the matte finish seem to be the worst. One one gun I simply could not move the rear sight at all. I took it to my gunsmith and he was able to move it jury-rigging an end mill.

These sights are exceptionally tight. It might be best to take this to a 'smith rather than risk damage to the gun.

Best.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Stephen! Mine are the matte finish ones.

By the way, I got your Hi-Power book last week. I have really enjoyed it. I am just beginning my second reading.

Lou

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Hello and thank you. I'm glad the book is of interest. I think that FN applies the matte finish with the fixed sights installed and it sort of "glues" them in place as well as the really tight fit to begin with.

Best.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts