Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Other than Glocks and the PARA-Ordnance LDA's are there any other semi's that are double action only??

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies... I just started a job with an armored car company and the only autos we are allowed to carry is DAO. I do not currently own one so I'm using my GP100 revolver, wich is allowed even though it can be fired single action as well...

I guess I gotta go out and buy a new gun now if I want an auto for duty

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I have been looking for a DAO Beretta 92. It is apparently only made available to LE and security through separate distributors from civilian sales. I live in Texas, so there shouldn't be an issue about availability, but the company maintains a rigid separation between LE and civilian catalogs, product lines, etc. Beretta's website has a new alloy frame 92 to be called the "90-Two" with different grip sizes, etc. supposedly to be had as a DA/SA F model, a DA/SA with de-cocker G model, and a DAO D model. No telling when it will actually be introduced, however.

·
Registered
392 Posts
my ccw gun as of late has been my s&w 3953. this gun is currently my bug when im serving as a reserve deputy. though it will be replaced by my 642-1 on the ankle, it will probably stay my ccw gun. usually carry it appendix style in a desantis leather clip on. it just hides so much easier that way for me, and is accessable with either hand if need be.

while i have removed the magazine disconnector for my safety sake (no sitting duck here), the trigger pull hasnt changed any as ive read some as stating it would.

what i like about it over my g17 that i carry on patrol or my g36 that i used to carry for ccw, is that the trigger pull is just like my revolvers.....same take up, same distance of travel, same everything. i just wish it wasnt in need of a "reset" to dry fire it......

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
You've pretty much exactly summed up my feelings on S&W's DAO pistols. One good thing is that I never needed a second-strike on a primer with one!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
FN also makes a DAO in 9mm in case you're interested. You can check it out here.
I bought one of the BDA9s (the DA/SA version) a couple months ago as my first auto-loader. I chose it over some of the others mainly because it just felt right in the hand. It's the most natural feeling DA I'd ever picked up. I've read that's a common reaction to a FN pistol... :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ruger offers some DAO versions as well.

I had my hands on a DAO S&W 9mm once. It was the stainless frame. The model number escapes me. I wish that I would have bought it as the trigger was very nice on it. I'll probably obtain a 4043 at some point.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No thanks. I would not want a double action only gun in anything semi-auto. I like it in revolvers, but think it is a silly way to build an auto.

I like the ease of that first shot from a stock 1911 where all you have to do is drop that thumb safety and squeeze off that most important shot.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No thanks. I would not want a double action only gun in anything semi-auto. I like it in revolvers, but think it is a silly way to build an auto.

I like the ease of that first shot from a stock 1911 where all you have to do is drop that thumb safety and squeeze off that most important shot.
While I personaly agree with you, the company I work for does not and we are only allowed to carry either a DA revolver or a DAO auto. I am currently using my Ruger GP100 but I would rather carry an auto. The only autos I own are 1911's. Anyway, it gives me a good excuse to get a new toy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am sorry that your "Company" limits you to that kind of firearm. My departments were like that until I changed their mind. I think a man or woman that goes out in harms way should carry the best gun for the intended purpose.
I started my last Job with a revolver, but the Boss quickly changed his mind when I qualified with a revolver 100% and then did the same thing with a 1911. From then on, I carried a 1911! That opened the Job up to several other officers, too. 1911's RULE!
He still carries a Model 10 S&W NYPD gun that I tweaked for him 15 years ago. That works for us!

·
Registered
134 Posts
DAO in my Springfield [say glock-like] XD and my New [to me] Smith 4043.
the Smith DAO trigger is crisp and breaks at my guess-timation of around 5lbs. In a comarison to those who know the sponge like Glock and XD triggers, this is smooth and snappy!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts