Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is just a post for opinions. I've had a few .44 mag's and sold them, but I've wondered about the .44 Special.

Does it have reasonable performance to make it a worth-while weapon to own as a primary concealed carry weapon?

I'm just curious. The .44 Special and the 10mm call to me in a way I can not describe. Thanks all.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have a Model 24 .44 spl, it is my favorite handgun ever. There is very little that I want to do with a gun that I can't do with that one. I also have a .44 mag single-action, with a longer barrel, and it is probably better for handgun hunting, but when I'm in the squirrel woods I take the Model 24 with some hot handloads just in case I see a deer. The Bulldog is strictly business -- it fills a niche for self-defense -- but I don't have any feelings for it one way or the other. Some day I'd like to have either a Freedom Arms model 97 in .44 spl, or else a Bowen conversion, because they are gorgeous works of art and shoot pretty fine also. I am a fan of the .45 Colt as well, but just don't dote on it the same way I do the .44 spl.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Hello. I am also a fan of the .44 Special though I own but two revolvers chambered for it. One is an older Taurus Model 431 3" 5-shot and the other is a 6" S&W Model 24, which is my favorite revolver. I think that the .44 Special in some loads can be a good defensive round, but ammunition selection is limited in this caliber. I shoot handloaded ammunition in mine that is not attempting to make the gun(s) quasi-magnums, but rather something like 240 grains @ 950 ft/sec or so; easy to shoot and with enough "power" to handle what might need "handling" in my neck of the woods.

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/My%20Favorite%20Revolver.htm

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/Comparing%2044%20Special%20to%2045%20Colt.htm

Best.

G

·
The heavy slow moving bullet concept works well for the 45 acp & 45 Colt . Several good choices are the Hornady XTP , Winchester Silver Tip and I believe Rem & Fed make a 200 gr lead hollow point . Corbon has a hotter load for modern production revolvers .
The 44spl has a pretty good history in law enforcement prior to WWII . It seemed to be most popular in the Southwest . S&W made thousands . This one was shipped to TX in 1931 .

G

·
It shore do! I LOVE My Charter Arms "Bulldog!" It is, indeed, a "niche" handgun. It does beat a .38 S&W Special HANDS DOWN!

Scott

G

·
Another thing in the .44 special's favor for inclusion in the top five is its reputation for accuracy.

Do you all find it to be inherently more accurate than other calibers? (Hope I'm not hijacking the thread by asking this.) It does seem more accurate to me, but I haven't formally tried to test it.

BTW, .44 special is one of the reasons I'm getting into reloading. I love to shoot it.

Max

·
Registered
194 Posts
The heavy slow moving bullet concept works well for the 45 acp & 45 Colt . Several good choices are the Hornady XTP , Winchester Silver Tip and I believe Rem & Fed make a 200 gr lead hollow point . Corbon has a hotter load for modern production revolvers .
The 44spl has a pretty good history in law enforcement prior to WWII . It seemed to be most popular in the Southwest . S&W made thousands . This one was shipped to TX in 1931 .
Gosh, Mitch, that is just gorgeous.

G

·
Thanks ! It does have a few small specs on the opposite side plate . Nothing major .
I feel lucky to still own it . I sold it about 10 yrs ago and almost immediately regretted it . I pretty much wrote it off . Then , about 2 yrs ago , the same guy needed money for restoring vintage motorcyles . Sure enough she came home :) I also got back a New Service Commercial in the unusual 45acp ... It was a good day !!

·
Registered
363 Posts
I currently own three S&W .44 Spl revolvers. A M696 and two of the M24-3's. One is a four inch and the other a 6.5 inch. I like the .44 Spl cartridge, but I can't honestly rate it in the "Top Five". IMO, it isn't a mainstream cartridge and that means that gun and ammo makers give it short shrift these days. The advent of the.44 Magnum 50 years ago put the hammer to the .44 Spl much the same way the .40 S&W did in the 10mm Auto.

Roadster

G

·
That's a darned shame! I disagree! The .40 S&W STILL can't hold a candle to the 10mm. The .44 S&W Special has never really "dimmed." Overshadowed? Perhaps. Dimmed? Never!

Scott

·
Registered
69 Posts
I was a LEO in the dark ages ,in the west I carried a Charter Armas 3 in 44 special for a back up for around ten years.I love the thing ,and I did have to qualify with it and had no major problems Doug

G

·
I am a fan of the .44 Special. The reason may be that I read so many stories by Elmer Keith, Skeeter Skelton and Bill Jordan. It has a mild recoil and makes big holes in the target.

I noticed that .44 Special fans seem to have a common trait ... they are reloaders.

G

·
Well, to qoute my uncle "The .44 Cartridge in any style, special or Magnum is a fine one, it makes a hole going it about the size of your little finger and hole coming out the size of a basketball."

If I wanted sheer strength from a handgun, I'd buy a .44 special, hands down. Now, I will admit that accuracy and shot placement is key to self defense, but power plays a big part of it.

I recall one time a small bore guy was down at the range, popping away with his .32 ACP, my uncle and I walked up and began to chat, and the conversation turned to our weapons. This guy was really bragging on the superiority and accurcy of the .32 round. We got ready, my uncle leveled off and put 6 marble sized holes in a baseball size area at 25 yards.

That ol' boy stopped preaching on his gun after that.

For self defense, I would say that a .44 Special would be a great choice. Not many bad guys act so tough once they have looked down the business end of a barrel they can stick their finger in without touching it on any side.

That is just my opinion though, the .44 may recoil harder than you like, but for the most part, they are my top choice in self defense armament.

G

·
I taught my wife, Shelley, to shoot with my Charter Arms Bulldog using Cowboy Action loads from Mag-Tech on Christmas Day, 2001. She loved it!

Need I really say more?

Scott

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
The .44 Special is a favorite round for me as well. :)

·
Registered
194 Posts
I currently own three S&W .44 Spl revolvers. A M696 and two of the M24-3's. One is a four inch and the other a 6.5 inch. I like the .44 Spl cartridge, but I can't honestly rate it in the "Top Five". ... The advent of the.44 Magnum 50 years ago put the hammer to the .44 Spl much the same way the .40 S&W did in the 10mm Auto.

Roadster
Can't agree with you, Roadster. The .44 magnum is a different cartridge and fills a different niche. If you did a serious survey, and got honest answers, you would find most people using their .44 mags at .44 spl levels most of the time, and only using true .44 mag power for selected purposes. The .44 mag only "put the hammer" to the .44 spl in the sense that a lot more of them are sold. But people use them a lot the same way they use .357 mags, which see a lot of .38s run through them, but that doesn't mean the .357 put the hammer to the .38. Let's not confuse the gun with the cartridge.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Does it have reasonable performance to make it a worth-while weapon to own as a primary concealed carry weapon?
That wheelgun posted by mitch looks good.
And I can't honestly say this 4" M24-3 is my primary carry, but I could be comfortable with it.

G

·
own a smith 24-3 snubby,one of the lew horton specials i picked up in a pawnshop for 450 dollars,,could not get the money out of my pocket fast enough,,,,,it hits hard,hides pretty easy,feels good,points sweet,and makes big holes going in and coming out,,plus it makes me look good at the range.....dont forsee the day when i wont own at least 1 snubby big bore...

G

·
I have absolutely nothing against the .44 Special cartridge. My problem is that I have not found a handgun platform from which to fire it that really appeals to me.

Something close to a S&W model 58 would be nice -- 3" or 4" 6-shot revolver with fixed sights would make me smile. The retro-looking model 21s are close, but not close enough.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Catbird;
This is not a loaded question nor a implication in any way, just curious about the difference you see in the 58 and the 21 if the calibers were the same (heavy barrel perhaps?).

Best regards,
Jim

1 - 20 of 51 Posts