Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my Model 19 out to shoot it a little more, yesterday, and once again, I was having the time of my life.

It dawned on me, in the course of shooting, that not only do I enjoy shooting this gun more than my Hi-Power, I'm also a better shot with it. In fact, I'm so much better with the snub than I am with my Hi-Power, that there is NO way that I can justify using the Hi-Power as my primary defense gun.

In spite of the undeniable fact that the Hi-Power is, from a purely "tactical" (I hate that word) standpoint, the superior firearm, the little Model 19 just can't be denied to be the better choice for me! What's more, I don't even think I'm going to use .357s in it!

Why bother to use all that extra power? A .38 will kill someone as dead as a .357, if the bullet is well-placed, and I was keeping every shot from six-shot rapid-fire strings on a Coke can, at fifteen yards, despite the fact that every time I scored a hit, it moved around!

This is with the skinny, factory stocks!!

I have spent over a thousand dollars, -- closer to fifteen-hundred -- counting ammunition, gunleather, hi-capacity magazines, custom stocks, and the gun, itself, only to have it supplanted by a bone-stock revolver that's older than I am, holds less than half as many shots, and in which I plan to use low-powered ammunition!!

Has anything like this ever happened to anyone else?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Obviously in your case, the HiPower is not the superior weapon. Get some speed loaders, learn how to use them...issue resolved. I prefer to carry a HP when possible, but I think I actually shoot my Makarov better, excluding the first DA shot, of course.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi there chubbypidgeon,

Very interesting post.

In retrospect, I think I could have saved myself something in the neighborhood of $12,000-$15,000 dollars over the course of about 25 years and after owning something like 50 or so handguns if I had picked up "the perfect one" the first day I bought a handgun.

However, like many things in life, sometimes it just doesn't work out that way and it was only last September of '04 that I discovered quite experimentally that I shot the HP better than any handgun I have ever owned. I had owned quite of number of colt, ruger and S&W wheelguns and automatics.

In a strange way, the right combination of weight, caliber, recoil sensitivity, hand/ bore alignment and some things I am still figuring out bought the HP my way.

Strangely enough, I almost have to force myself to shoot my S&W 642 well and accurately.

If you found that your S&W Model 19 has become your best weapon and you enjoy shooting as well as you seem to, than you may have discovered something the rest of us are just finding out.

Finally, its not inferior and in the right hands, it is quick and as deadly as any high end custom automatic.

After all, I don't think anyone ever called Bill Jordan a sissy to his face because he favored a wheelgun. (and would lived to tell about it without a few scars).

He favored the M-19 as well.

Chris

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I just bought a S&W 3" model 65 (see my thread on the revolvers page) because I realized that I feel happier and more secure carrying a revolver. Don't ask me why . . .

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great topic, chubbypigeon :)

Nowadays I seldom carry (no reason to, really), so my carry gun is a nickel Colt .38 Cobra revolver. No other gun feels as nice in my hand.

I own a 1911 and a Browning HP. I shot them at the range and like them both. But nothing compares to my "inferior" Colt Cobra.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great Replies, folks, but remember, I'm not speaking specifically about revolvers vs. automatics.

If you use a Lever gun for a "Battle Rifle," a P-08 Luger for a carry piece, or do something nutty like carry four or five .22 magnum mini revolvers, just because you can hide them all over yourself, those qualify too.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's basically the same concept I'm talking about, Mr. Camp.

Why use your big, beautiful, super-turbo-turkey-puncher if the only place you can really get hits with it is at the range?

I'm not saying I could take that snub and double-tap a running rabbit with my eyes closed, but something about that gun (probably that I was getting three and four-inch groups the first time I ever picked it up, and they've gotten better, since) just makes me very comfortable.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey, Steve. I agree with most of your sentiments as expressed in the linked article, except I'm going to field a SW 625 in IPSC this January. (True, it's not a Model 10 which, on second thought, might never make major...) Well, maybe I do agree completely, after all.

Anyway, good thread Chubby.

Max

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was in the market for a new .45. I wanted higher than 7 or 8 shot capacity. I wanted a durable finish, something that is easy to care for. I wanted reliability. I wanted shootability. I wanted something, in short, like a Glock. In the end, I just went ahead and bought the Glock. Nothing fancy, just beauty in its functionality. It's a blast. But again I celebrate the choices we have today, and the choices we have as Americans. After all, tomorrow is Thanksgiving.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If I can place a .32 Long wadcutter between the eyes of some miscreant, and he dies, it begs the question... was the gun/load for the situation inferior? I think not.

I do, however, have a Glock Model 20 on the nightstand, just to be sure!

Scott

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have heard this question more than once, and have heard several answers to it, but my answer has remained steady:

There are no varying degrees of dead, if I can put a bullet in the middle of the bad guy's pump station with my choice weapon, that is good enough for me. Some may say that a .22 is too small, or that a .44 is too large, but it all comes down to what weapon you can use to your best advantage. In the end, it is self defense, so you yourself should be satisfied with your weapon.

In my opinion, an inferior weapon is one that you cannot draw and fired safely and accurately at a moments notice. Caliber, action, barrel length and manufacturer do not apply.

Just my 2

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
The only thing I would add to the above is reliability. If my favorite pistol was one of 500,000 made, and mine was the only one that did not have serious reliability issues, I still wouldn't carry it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have always been an auto guy, though my favorite and most-used handgun would be a Ruger convertible Single-Six ( love that gun ).

Back to the original post, I have always wanted an S & W model 19. I mean, the thing is GEORGEOUS ! The single action trigger pull is to die for. Wouldn't want a snub though. . .something in the 4 + inch range would be great.

I have a couple of Hi Powers and love 'em, but sure would like an S & W Model 19 to add to the stable.

Nimbus

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I went out and shot some more, yesterday, and I have to say that maybe I was wrong.

I don't think the 19 was making me better; I think I may have just gotten better, myself.

I took all my handguns out, this time, you see, and remarkably, I was keeping I was keeping more-than-acceptable groups with everything. I still shot slightly better with the Smith, by virtue of its better trigger, but I wasn't bad with the P-21, or the Hi-Power, either.

I'm not at all displeased with these results, though, as it just means that I have three seperate choices with which I am competent enough to consider acceptable defensive weapons.

I still love the living daylights out of that smith, though -- I got a one-hole, six-shot, single-action group at ten yards.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There is no such thing as "inferior" if you can hit your target with it. Many think the9mm is not as good as a .45 ACP. Any round placed where it will do the most good is "the correct round". I like my HP and that is what I carry. On the shooting portion of the CWP class I shot the 10 ring out of the target with it. I have done the same thing with a .45 ACP and a 4 inch .357 magnum. I could do the same with a .22. I echo gunfan with his "Shot placement" reply. But remember, it is also the bullet you use. A round nose lead will not be as effective as a hollow point. When your life, of the life of someone else, is on the line you need the best available. So, practice and bullet choice are the top two requirements in being prepaired.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you were to find yourself up against multiple assailants, you would be at a distinct disadvantage with a revolver. Unfortunately attacks by multiple armed assailants are not rare today. That is one of the reasons that 99% of police agencies in this country now carry semi-automatics. That being said, I too am a fan of old S&W revolvers, as well as classic pistols like the 1911 and the BHP. You just have to adjust your choice of personal weaponry according to the level of threat you face in your locality or where you intend to travel that day. Some days a 5-shot J-Frame will suffice, on other days 1911 or a BHP might not be enough.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Life isn't a Rambo movie, though. You shoot the first idiot, the others will think about leaving. Seriously.

I've been doing high-level criminal defense work (because I do appeals, I see the bad stuff) for years, and honestly I can't recall a scenario that in which someone would have needed more than a five-shot revolver. Certainly none which would have required more than a fully-loaded 1911 to dispose of all BGs. Even accounting for the fact that it takes more than one shot with a handgun.

The truth is, you should do what makes you comfortable. For years I carried semiautos with extra mags, just in case. Nowadays, having assessed what I've seen over the last decade+, I generally feel safe whatever, even if that is a five-shot with a couple of reloads (and I don't think for a minute that I'm likely to have to reload in the heat of things).

1 - 20 of 38 Posts