Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

Do you "Top Off" your magazine after chambering a round in your carry gun, or, do you just leave it One Down?

Thanks For Your Replies,
The Sockman

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I've mostly left mine one down since running into some feeding problems with a Sig P220. I've checked all the other autos I might carry, and none has a problem with feeding while a full mag is inserted. Sometimes I'll add a round to a .45 1911, but only when using Wilson magazines.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
The actual number of rounds you load isn't as important as doing it consistantly.

Nowadays I always leave my mags one down, so I guess when I chamber a round its 2 down. I feel that (besides being easier on the mag) it takes less effort to seat a mag with the slide forward.

Way back when, I'd load the mag in the G19 with 8 or 10 to save weight, and carry a +2 with 15 on the off side.

The 10-round mags were never that big a deal to me; in fact, I bought a bunch of them becuase I felt they were more reliable than the NFML hicaps.

In the Browning, I load 12 (9 in the 10-rounders)

When I carried a .45, I kept it one down at 6 rounds per mag with plenty of extras.

Regards,

Pat

G

·
I use to "one down" my Hi-Power magazines. Now I top off the one in the gun and my spares are loaded to capacity.

Kent

·
Registered
649 Posts
Top off my Glock 19, making it 15+1 rds. and my P32, making it 8+1 rds. By the way,the P32 has a +1 rd. extension on it.

G

·
I top off all the firearms I use except my CAR-15; I 'leave my 2rd mags loaded w/18, and my 30s loaded w/28.

I used to recommend downloading the 40 cal Glock 22 and 23 by one round, but only because fully loaded 40 mags were difficult to seat securely. After a short break-in period, 9mm Glock magazines don't seem to have that problem, and I keep my Glock 19 fully loaded. All my BHP mags seem to be easy to load except the KRDs when they were new. After a short break-in, they hold the amount of ammo they were designed for.

Oh, and I used to download my 8 rd McCormick Shooting Star 1911 45 magazines to 7 rds. I never noticed that they were any less reliable loaded with 8 rds, but I did discover that I was having to replace the magazine catch in my old Colt Combat Commander about every six months or so due to excessive wear. I ended up giving those magazines to my son-in-law,(with the admonition to load them with 7 rds) and bought a bunch of Metalform 7 rd magazines, which work perfectly in my current carry 1911.

G

·
I top off all the firearms I use except my CAR-15; I 'leave my 2rd mags loaded w/18, and my 30s loaded w/28.
I only have 30-rnd mags for my AR and Mini-14. All are loaded to 28.

I top off all my autoloading handguns. I'd top off my revolvers, too, but the cylinders just won't latch with that extra round in there...

I had similar problems to yours with Chip McCormick mags. I now use Wilson Combat mags exclusively. I prefer the 7-round magazines for carry, as the springs in the 8-rnd mags fatigue a bit faster when kept loaded 24/7, I've found. I replace followers and springs on my carry mags every 6 months, same as the 9-volt batteries in my home smoke detectors. I do this when we switch to/from daylight savings time in spring and fall, which is an easy way of remembering to do it.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Ditto Roger & Doc's policy on the AR/M4.

I top off on almost all my carry handguns. The single exceptions being the Glock 23 and 22. I noticed that when full my mags were hard to seat and over time developed a real bulge in the baseplate. So I leave them one round down (can't say I had any malfunctions because of the full mag though - I certainly have had in the M16/M4!).

BTW, the M9/Beretta 15 round mag will normally take 16... *dont do it!*.

Onward, Jim

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Hello. In my 1911's I normally use 7 round magazines and they are topped. I do have some 8 round magazines but I load but 7 for a total of 8 rounds in any .45 1911 I might have at hand. My 9mm Hi Powers are almost always used with 13-shot magazines and these are topped off. Even with the 15-shot MecGars and 17-shot KRD's, I load 13 rounds for the same reason cited above.

My AR with 20-shot magazines is loaded with 15; that's probably more than enough for my particular circumstances.

Best.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Top 'em off. 7 rounders in my 1911, making 8 fully loaded. My pops also tops off his 1911 Officer's model, 6+1 giving him 7 rounds fully loaded.

In my double stack Ruger it's 10+1, I don't have any 15 round magazines and I don't carry the Ruger.

At home though, I tend to keep the weapons condition 3(full mag, empty chamber). So, in that circumstance, if I chamber around, I'll be going 1 down.

-Rob

1 - 20 of 31 Posts