Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Do you always Press Check your carry gun?

Even if your carry gun has a Chamber Witness Hole or a Loaded Chamber Indicator, do you still Press Check just for the sake of making sure your extractor has a hold of the case rim?

Thanks,
The Sockman

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Sockman,

By "press check" do you mean putting my thumb inside the trigger guard and pressing below the muzzle with my index? No, I don't do that, can't do that because of the guide rod in the 92. Wouldn't even if I could because of the thumb inside the trigger guard.

If you mean just opening the breech a bit using a safe(r) method, then yes, I do, and have ever since I forgot to chamber a round after cleaning ::) What I do is I reach up underneath the pistol and grab ahold of where the slide tapers with my thumb and index finger, then pull back a bit.

Of course, when I pull it back enough to unlock the barrel from the slide it also takes the hammer to half cock. It's actually called an intercept notch on the Taurus and it's meant to be carried there, but I've never liked the slack and so I have to take it to full cock then lower it manually. This is why I limit it to once a day...

Long winded answer to a simple question, I know.

Josh <><

·
Registered
898 Posts
Those loaded chamber indicators (that are actually part of the extractor) and witness holes seem kind of subtle and hard to use on many autopistols, to the point that I'd rather take a real look see inside the chamber.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi there,

Yes indeed I do check by press checking. Most of my autos do not have loaded chamber indicators by design and I do not use full length guide rods on the autos that have that option for that reason.

Chris

Chris

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello Josh,

I had you in mind when I started it, you know I'm kidding you. I'm a little OCD myself, but unless you've unloaded & reloaded or fired a shot, there should still be a round in the chamber... Thats what the Doctor keeps telling me anyway.

Take Care Buddy,
The Sockman

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi there all,

The local shooting range that I use and that has been open for about 10 years has only had two firearms related accidents.

The one that comes to mind is one event in which a seasoned competitive shooter and CWP instructor was press checking his .45 auto in the range and took his finger off with a very loud boom. Apparently, he had his other finger on the trigger.

"Complacency is the mother of all accidents".

Chris

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Yes.

Not always with the time honored method but I especially check them in the dark using the trigger finger to feel the round in the chamber.

Jim

G

·
No, I don't. My carry pistol is unloaded when I'm not carrying (I have a different always-loaded house gun.) Before it goes into the holster I chamber a round, and top off the mag. The only time I ever really visually inspect the chamber of a pistol (or rifle for that matter) is if I've just picked it up for the first time, or it's left my direct control. If you hand me a pistol - I will check it. If I hand it back, and two seconds later, you hand it to me again - it's getting checked again. If it's my carry pistol - it's loaded, it doesn't make it to my holster in any other state.

Anthony

·
Registered
898 Posts
If an autopistol of mine has a magazine inserted, chances are REAL good there's a round in the chamber. Don't worry though, if that same pistol has no mag inserted, I don't assume anything.

Any handgun to be carried will be checked, unless I just took it off earlier and am reholstering it. They don't magically UNload themselves, not in my house anyway. Again, I'd never assume one of these guns couldn't have "loaded itself", and failed to notify me. ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts