Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did it again..

I went back to the gentleman that I bought my Ruger off of and he still had the other one. Well he don't now as I got both. He sold me two Ruger Security-Sixs 3 pairs of S&W stocks and one oddball stock and 100rds of .38spl ammo for for $400. I was a little short on money and I told the wife if she would loan it to me it would be my last gun. She gave it to me but mumbled something about she had heard that before. Well now I did have my legs crossed when I said that. So it don't count right. I am addicted to these old revolvers and can't help myself.
They have suffered a lot of neglect but the one with fixed sights is a good shooter and I haven't shot the other one yet. They are both numbered in the 150- prefix which means they where made within the first two years or three years of production.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did it again..

Yep! Nevadaalan I know it looks that way doesn't it but I really got an addiction. Well the funds are all gone and I am happy but broke. That should be the end for awhile but there is a gun show next month and I sure would like to have a fixed site 23/4" if I could fine one. (sigh). Oh me....

Best Baldy.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Did it again..

Glad they both found a good home Baldy. I guess your wife, like mine, figures that of all the things a guy could do with the money, buying older guns is about as close to putting money in the bank as you can get.

PGM

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did it again..

Yes sir PGM you might be on to something there. Well I went off the deep end tonight and tore the one down that I haven't shot yet. It looked so easy in the manual. This gun may never work again. Naw I know a real good gunsmith that would put it together in a couple of mintues. I am going to try some Blue Wonder on it and see how the blueing comes out. If everything fails at lease I tried. Here's what it looks like now.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did it again..

Well I got it back together and it seems to be in good working order. The bluing job leaves a lot to be desired but I half way expected that. Anyway its not all rusted up anymore. The bluing streaks like in places. I didn't strip it all the way down to the metal and that might be the reason why. Oh well I enjoyed my little venture but I think I'll will take the other one to the gunsmith.
Best Baldy..

·
Registered
321 Posts
Did it again..

Baldy,

You are more ambitious that I would have been! It sure looks better than it did.

On those old, out of production classic revolvers, I think I guy could do worse than to spend the money ($120 in my area) to have them stripped, polished up and hot blued.

Keep us posted...

PGM

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Did it again..

Howdy Mr. Baldy,

I was following your new thread, and was going to tell you that the Rugers were very user friendly to dissassemble and put back together. But I see you figured it out before I could say it, lol.

Nice job for a first effort in my opinion on the finish. Ok, so maybe it is not perfect. I still think you really improved its appearance and have helped to add some new protection at the same time.

Enjoy it sir, and please give us a shooting report on it when you get the chance.

twoguns

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did it again..

Thank you gentlemen for your comments. Yes Mr PGM I agree with you 100% as the one with fixed sites is a fine shooter and I am going to have it done right. I just found out that it is also the most rare of the 4" guns.
Yep Mr Twoguns they are real easy to take down and put back together. I had to do it three times before I got it right. I know I am a dummy but it was fun. I hope I'll get to the range this weekend and see how it shoots.
If anybody knows where I can get the old style front site please let me know as I need one badly. I have tried Midway,Brownells, and Numrich. None of them had it.
Regards Baldy..

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Did it again..

I've been looking for one of the fixed sight Sixes to go with the two Speeds I have. The old Rugers may not be pretty, they may not be fancy, but you can't break them, and they work when you ask them to.

Great find, Baldy.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Did it again..

And, tyo chime in with brother Ray - you will never be able to blow it up either! They are tough guns.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Did it again..

Howdy folks,

I do have to agree Ruger revolvers are tough. I have only ever heard of one "giving up the ghost". That was a Super Blackhawk a cop buddy of mine had. He reloaded his rounds, and mistakenly used Bullseye instead of 2400 he though he was loading. If you do not reload, just trust me that was a major mistake on the powders.

To the gun's credit it did not come apart until he fired the 5th round in the cylinder. He had sent his revolver into to them already and they were asking him to confirm his load, because they could not understand how 2400 could have caused the damage.

When he realized his mistake, he called them and said oh boy did I screw up - it is totally my mistake, and explained what he had done. To Ruger's credit they still sent him a NIB replacement and simply asked him to not do it again.

I have heard of a second one, but that one was so blatently reloading error it is not worth discussing. A .44 mag shooter just started simply filled the brass with Unique and left enough space to seat the bullet. In my opinion he was lucky he was shooting a Super Blackhawk.

They are certainly tough revolvers in my opinion, regardless of the model.

A good find. Hope you folks continue to enjoy yours.

twoguns

G

·
Did it again..

If anybody knows where I can get the old style front site please let me know as I need one badly. I have tried Midway,Brownells, and Numrich. None of them had it.
Other gun parts vendors:

www.brownells.com
www.poppertsgunparts.com
www.gun-parts.com
www.colt380.com
Out Back Gun Parts (812) 945-0480
www.jackfirstgun.com (605) 343-9544
www.gunpartscorp.com
Rusted&Busted Bob's Box 24 Whitmore Ca. 96096
www.yourgunparts.com
Western Gun Parts, www.westerngunparts.com/default.htm, 1-403-489-5711 (Canada)
Jim Wisner (206/360) 748-8942 www.wisnerinc.com (mfg. of rare parts)
www.sarcoinc.com
Ken's Parts and Guns in Irving, TX
www.wisnersinc.com 360-748-4590 (obsolete firearms parts)
www.thedealershowroom.com
Glend Arms Mfg. Co., PO Box 361, Secane, Pa. 19018 (manufacturer of firing pins)
Marstar Canada www.marstar.ca (British Commonwealth military arms)
www.coltparts.com
www.ssporters.com (curios and relics)
Liberty Antique Gunworks, 19 Key St., Eastport, Me. 04631 (207) 853-4116
(obsolete S&W parts)
http://www.savvysurvivor.com/handguns_and_handgun_magazines_f.htm
Hoosier Gun Parts, www.hoosiergunworks.com
Marty's Gunsmithing, 371 Spring Valley Rd. Elko, NV. 89801 Ph. (207)738-2666 (obsolete Remington parts)
[email protected] (obsolete S&W parts)
www.vintagesporting.com
www.robertrtg.com
www.leesgunparts.com
Miga Gun Parts, a division of Midway Guns, PO Box 569, 9754 E Oglethorpe
Hwy, Midway, GA 31320, Phone: 912-884-5616 or 884-5597, e-mail:
[email protected], www.galleryofguns.com, Ask for Penny
Dixie Gun Works in Union City Tenn (Colt parts)
John A. Kopec (916)472-3438 (Colt grips)
Egyption Helwan parts: M&M Gunsmithing (703)739-2150
Old West Parts Bin, 1463 Funston Ave., San Francisco,Ca. 94122 (antique guns)
Stevens Sight & Tool Co., RD 1 Box 307C, Effort,Pa. 18330 (215)681-5670 (Old Stevens firearms)
www.oldwestgunsmith.com (old handguns)
Ed Cox..Circle C X Antiques. PO Bx 2197,Fernley Nv. 89408 (775)575-6205 (old handguns)

Also, try to post on some want ads boards, (gunbroker.com has one as does auctionarms.com) or ask questions at some shooters forums. Search for some here: http://www.gunshow.net/links.htm

There's a couple of other possibilities if you don't have any luck with the above.
Re-post here.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Did it again..

WOW!!! Nevadaalan.
I guess I better get with the program and make contact with these people. I would say someone out of that bunch should have a site.
This is very greatly appreciated Nevadaalan. Thank you.

Regards Baldy..

·
Registered
69 Posts
Did it again..

Mr Baldy,if your wonderful wife decides that you need to get rid of one of the Rugers I would be happy to take the fixed sight one,I only want bliss for you and your wife
Doug

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Did it again..

Looks like finding a sight blade won't be a huge job, Baldy. Of course, I'd look at that rather bodacious list of suppliers and find myself off on a tangent looking for parts for everything BUT the gun I started trying to repair.

Here are my two Rugers. The top one was confiscated from a drug dealer and came to me by way of the state narcs, while the bottom one I got in a trade at a gun show.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Did it again..

Mr LelandRay Those are two fantastic revolvers you have there. I would give my eye teeth for them. They got me drooling all over my keyboard. You wouldn't want to sell that little blued one would you. Please! Please! Say Yes? OK I took a deep breath and got myself composed again. Really the wife heard me and came in and gave me a good slap upside the head. I am OK the bruse should be under my hat. Oh me they are Beautys. Good luck with them both and thanks for sharing.

Best Baldy..

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Did it again..

The blued one is a virgin--never fired except at the factory.

The stainless one has many hundreds of rounds through it, virtually all of them +P or +P+. I carry it at work, five days a week.

Speaking of Rugers, here's a Blackhawk in .357 Magnum. I got it from a friend who'd stashed it in his safe for a few decades, then took it out to help finance an addition on his house. Check the lettering in the second photo and you can figure out when it was made.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Did it again..

Oh me Mr LelandRay your are killing me. That is a real peice of art there. If I remember right there was only 1,000 made. Thats a beauty you got there. Good luck with it.
Nevadaalan beleive it or not I contacted almost everyone you listed and some have not got back to me yet but nobody had one. A fellow on the Ruger forum put me in contact with a gunsmith in Washington and he had only one. It's on the way. Should be here first of next week. Thanks for the help.

Best Baldy..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts