Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I was wondering if those who carry small revolvers for protection prefer the DAO versions as represented by S&W's enormously popular Model 442/642 significantly over the conventional DA/SA versions? If so, is it strictly to be able to say that you did not cock the hammer for a single-action shot
and "negligently" let the gun go off as per Ayoob's writing or might it be for the more "sealed against the elements" aspect? More streamline and less likely to snag if drawn from beneath a garment or from a pocket?

Do those who opt for the conventional action do so to have a hammer spur for a holster strap to secure to or because you can have single-action capabilities for a precise shot, etc?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Best.

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Mr. Camp,

The BUG revolver I get will have the spur removed for pocket carry.

The top of the hammer itself will receive some texturing. This way I can still cock it for a precise shot.

The last J-frame I carried still had the hammer spur and was forever snagging on the draw. Lesson learned.

Josh <><

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I've had Centennials (in .38 and 9mm), and I have to say that I prefer to have the ability to take an SA shot. Presently, for small pocket guns, I have a D-frame with a factory hammer shroud and a J-frame with no hammer shroud. The Bodyguard style would be better than the regular J-frame, I suppose, but it doesn't bother me enough to worry about it. I've never had a J-frame hammer snag bad enough to prevent a draw, but then I use pocket holsters.

G

·
I go for the sealed against the elements argument (the element in my case being lint) for the small weapons. these are also carried in the pocket sometimes, and no hammer spur helps some.

The larger guns, I keep with a Hammer spur, one because it catches on thumb breaks on my holsters, and two because i got in the habit early of reholstering a revolver with my thumb on the hammer (holding it down)so as to prevent an AD if the trigger caught on something (people with those Fobus glock holsters that were recalled seemed to reinforce the wisdom of this)

I do not put alot of credence into the reduction of liability for having the Single action notch removed. The use of deadly force is either intentional and justified, intentional and unjustified (bad) or negligent and therefore unjustified (bad), so the justification for the use of deadly force (and the civil penalties if used recklessly) would be unaffected: a bad shooting is a bad shooting. Not cocking a revolver is a training issue, just like leaving the safety on (on a single action), or keeping your finger off of the trigger on a glock. Generally, in my opinion, adminstrative attempts to equip your way out of training deficiencies are a bad idea.

G

·
I've never owned a little J frame. I kind of like the old Bodyguard models that have the shrouded hammers. You ge t the best of both worlds: a hammer that won't snag but one that can be cocked to SA if need be. Other than that, a DAO would be my preference.

G

·
I chose the 642 because this particular one has a wonderful trigger from the factory, and I can shoot it through my vest pocket without bothering to draw. That's the fastest draw there is. I rarely shoot DA revolvers in the SA mode, but I own many more SA revolvers than I do DA ones.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My K-frames have the hammer spur on them. My J-frames have the spur removed (M-36). I do all my revolver shooting double-action anyway. I simply removed the spurs to allow pocket carry without hangup.

G

·
For a small gun I chose the 642. I like both the sealed against pocket lint and the snag free design. Even in bigger revolvers I like a bobbed hammer. I almost never shoot single action.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello. For my purposes, I prefer the 642 and for the reasons
given by others: fewer openings for lint, etc. 99.9% of my carry with the J-frame is pocket carry and it simply amazes me how lint can build up and that there's so darned much of it! Even in a pocket holster, it creeps in behind the trigger and well, all over. I clean it a couple of times per week just to keep that crud out.

Another reason is that having been initially a revolver shooter for years, I find the DA fairly easy to "stage" and can get fairly precise shots w/o having to go SA.

My second choice would be the Model 638 as it eliminates the need to bob any exposed hammer spurs for pocket carry. That said, were I going with ankle holster carry as a bug, I might very well look at a Model 637. Activity that is overall not too athletic is exaggerated when the holster is on the ankle and I want the gun securely in place. I carried a Model 042 in an ankle holster and it never came out when I was running, but I'd have preferred something a bit more positive. Probably splitting hairs, but I do appreciate the well-reasoned responses presented.

Thanks to all.

Best.

G

·
Same with my 042. Comes out of the pocket a lot quicker w/o the hammer spur. Some say you can covver the hammer with the thumb to shield the hammer when presenting the gun, but that just seems like one more thing to worry about to me.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
A friend of mine and I found a really nice 442 in a hock shop one day, and I got out my wallet first. It had the smoothest DA pull of any snubbie I'd ever tried, and I very quickly got very good with it.

One day in a moment of weakness I let him talk me out of it. He's since put a set of laser grips on it, but he doesn't carry it much. One of these days I'll get it back, but when I do I don't want the laser grips.

That was one incredibly handy little gun. It was built in 93 or so, and thus no lock.

I think I'm going to cry now... Stupid Leland, stupid...

I have a "new" 638, and while it's nice to be able to cock it, I don't shoot it that way because of how difficult it is to decock it reliably and safely.

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Hello Mr. Camp,

My favorites are the 638/649 S&W BodyGuards, I feel exactly the same as was said above ie. best of both worlds, shrouded no snag hammer.

Take Care,
The Sockman

G

·
My only snub is a Model 36 that I recently bought. I plan to leave the hammer spur as is because it will be carried in a holster much more than a pocket.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts