Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the new CD 9mm to the range for a short workout after school this PM. Fed and fired flawlessly, but the trigger pull was abysmal...hard, gritty, felt like a ratchet (ratsh-t?) action. Naturally, this made it hard to shoot well. Used my utility-grade ammo, mixed cases with CCI SPP, 5.9 gr. Unique and Rem 115 gr. FMJs. Groups at 15 yards ran mostly from 1 1/2 to 3 inches, with occasional flyers further out. Right on for elevation, about 2 1/2 inches left, but it looks like the front sight is not quite centered. Drifting it back should take care of most or all of that problem. I hate the thought of having to deal with the mag safety and trigger, after the horror stories people tell. Guess I'll shoot it as is for a bit and see if it smooths out. May not be the best gun in my safe, but or $350 I'm not disappointed.

G

·
I too purchused a CD hi power, really like the fit and finish over the FM hp I was perusing the same day, which is what I was planning to buy,.
but, I have had some issues one so far fixed by returning the gun to Daly, FTFeed issues, they replaced the slide without question..
last issue is the trigger pin cominig out while fireing,,bought a new one from Numrich with a few other parts I needed , hope it solves that issue..the pin cost less than sending the gun to Daly as I was already buying other things..
other than that, for the money, I am not unhappy.

G

·
I am sorry but I see a CD as an expensive FEG, I find they are good serviceable clones but not the equal of a FN, FM, or Arcus. My FEG has given me zero problems but I prefer the others. Regards, Richard

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Around here used FEGs are going from $275 up, refurbed FMs are $300. A real HP is about twice as much. This CD was essentially NIB, with nice wood grips added. Fit seems a little looser than the BHP. Finish is very good. I was really interested in checking out the express sights. They are MUCH easier for my old eyes to see than the sights on my T-series, perhaps a bit better than the Mk. III for fast shooting. I guess I gotta bite the bullet re the mag disconnect. I got a bunch of HP parts, springs, etc. Any internals that really should be replaced, or should I wait and see?

·
Registered
502 Posts
I have had (have) Feg's, FN'licensed FM's, Indian HP, Kareens, & now also the Charles Daly HP. I will put my CD up there with the best of the clones. They had the courage to use the Uncle Mikes grips, express sights, extended safety (all upgrades, if you will) etc. that many of us wanted (added) in a shooting HP. I have had zero problems & Mine has a place in the front of the safe & is pulled out often for range duty. Just my .02 worth.
Regards to all, G>M>F>

G

·
NCBubba, couldyou post pictures of your CD and do a range report? I would appreciate seeing the pistol and reading your report. Regards and best, Richard

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi hangfire,

I wrestled with the magazine safety issue in my FEG and finally pulled it out and replaced the trigger return spring with a C&S extra power trigger return spring. The quality of the casting of the magazine safety plunger left much to be desired and accounted for the rough and gritty trigger pull.

Now, it has the best trigger pull of all of my HP's and is the best shooter in my collection of 4 HPs.

Chris

·
Registered
502 Posts
Sorry, I can't do pics-no camera, no talent. Mine is stock, same as ads or any other photos you see. My range report is nothing compared to Stephen's. I usually shoot from 15 yards (Ten if I'm tired), freehand. I use Wally World 115 gr & American Eagle 115 gr FMJ's. Using 8 X 10 targets or often an 8" paper plate, I manage to keep em all on the paper & even some 3-4" clusters sometimes.
My CD has mag safety removed & trigger pull is about 5#, but no grit. Usually, I am shooting 3 or 4 pistols/revolvers at a session strictly for enjoyment and familiarity; & the above results satisfy me at my age. I believe I could defend myself adequately. Exercise carry guns about every 3 months, clean & refresh ammo.My routine is once a week for pistols & another part day of trap shooting (semi-competitive).
Asked what time it is, & I told you how to build a clock, but the time answer was kind of fuzzy wasn't it! ???Regards, G>M>F>

·
Registered
105 Posts
Carefull about drifting the rear sight on your CD. I believe that those XS sights have two small allen keys down through the tops. If they are there, you will want to loosen them before tapping.

G

·
NCBubba, when you take a roll of pictures with your camera have them put on a disc along with prints. When you get to that stage let us know and we will walk you the rest of the way through it. I found it difficult to post pictures until a friend (SAC) took the time to bring me up to speed. Regards, Richard

·
Registered
502 Posts
Thanks, Richard. I may just get around to that despite it's golf season, mowing lawn, gun shows & inevitable chats with doctors (gotta keep economy running, don'cha know)
Regards, G>M>F>

1 - 12 of 12 Posts