Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend w/ small hands has asked for my recommendations regarding a DA single-stack compact 9mm. She is not interested in a DAO or SA pistol. My thoughts immediately turned to the SIG 239 and the Smith 3913. (She has tried the SIG 225 but finds even it a bit too large for her hand.) What other handguns should I add to my list of recommendations? Thank you for your suggestions. --c

·
Registered
10 Posts
Corky,

That pair would be hard to beat in my opinion. I think that Taurus has something along those lines, but despite all the marketing and Errornet sayings about that company's products being OK, I am old enough to remember the absolute trash they have made and won't consider them. If I was making a choice between your two guns, I'd pick the Sig for its decocker and clean slide. I know it's a DAO type, but the Kahr 9mm guns deserve a look also.

Wayne

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Sounds like good choices to me.
I've had two 3913s and one P239, and they were good guns.
It seems like the 3913 grip was a little smaller, but I may have that wrong.
The trigger was better on the P239 than either 3913.

·
Regulator,
3,441 Posts
Corky,

The S&W 3913 is certainly a good choice. If you can find one the Beretta 92 SB M (single stack) Compact is a peach. Had one and let it go darn it.

Did just replace the Compact with a Beretta 92 FS Compact. A bit chunky in the grips, but still a great gun.

Wes

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I second Wayne on Taurus. Had for a (short) time a PT809 (?), single stack DA, that was absolutely awful in finish and tight as a chain. The Beretta Compacts (L or M) are top notch but larger than a P225... for me they are just right, like a Commander or an HP, but not really compact.

Bye.

L.

G

·
Take her around to the gun shops and have her try them out. Feel and trigger pull is everything. And take a 9mm snap cap with you as dry firing will push many gun shop proprieters over the edge.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi there,

One handgun that I have always wanted to try and shoot for CWP is the S&W 908!

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=12754&langId=-1&isFirearm=Y

In my opinion, I think that it is the best balance of size, concealability and practical single stack capacity for the 9 mm platform in DAO.

I also opine that generally many manufacturer's "chop down" their full size auto's and inveriably we wind up with "less is more and more is less". In other words, it alway's seems like an awkward compromise.

Chris

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Most appreciate the suggestions, and yes, she will not buy before handling, and I hope firing those that she thinks fit her hand. My personal experience w/ compact nines is limited to the 239. I have owned one since the late '90's and have put thousands of rounds through it with not a single malfunction. I hope that she finds it to fulfill her requirements. --c

·
Registered
160 Posts
Make sure she trys racking the slides too. I tried my sister on an HP, and a Makarov and she couldn't rack the slide on either of them, even with the hammer back. (She did however like my Ruger MKII very much).

She ended up getting a Taurus .22 revolver which she loves.

Ed

·
Registered
76 Posts

I think the Sig P239 is simply the best slim 9 you can get for a reasonable price. I hear the H&K P7M8's are wonderful, as are the also discontinued Walther P5's, but they ARE pricy... I think the Sig P239 is a fantastic pistol. I have owned mine for over a decade and it has never had a malfunction, and it IS accurate.

I like the S&W 3913 a lot, but it's just slightly less accurate (for me) than the Sig, and I like the Sig's decocker , whereas those who like external (ambi) safety's might prefer the S&W.

If you ever consider a revolver I like the S&W 638 Airweight Bodyguard. It comes with a very good target trigger, and mine has been excellent. If you are new to firearms and wish to reduce the chances for problems a revolver will be about as close to "problem-proof" as any firearm you might buy.

Another consideration, the addition of a set of Crimson Trace Lasergrips on both the Sig and the Bodyguard have dramatically increased my potential for accuracy in a crisis.. Some folks don't care for lasers, but Crimson Trace makes excellent lasergrips and I intend to be looking at the "threat" if I'm ever confronted by a bg, and the presence of a red dot thereabouts would be mighty comforting to me, and discomforting to the bg..

JMOFO.

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Hi Corky,

I know you said traditional DA/SA and not DAO, but while you are taking a gander at different options, racking slides, and checking trigger pulls, ergonomic "fit" and so on, you might try those Kahr 9mm pistols. IMHO the slide is quite stiff, so an over-the-slide grip would be necessary instead of the "sling-shot" method. Also the slide release seems small and hard to operate, so I'd again counsel the overhand slide rack. Another possiblke downside is expense, but they are quite compact and a bit slimmer than, say, a compact Glock.

Good luck. --d.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks again to all. The options and products available will take time to sift through. After all is said and done, it will probably be a choice based on the"feel" of one of the quality pistols.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Corky, I think the 3913 is an excellen choice for a single stack 9mm.
The Springfield XD 9 Sub Compact has a really thin grip for a double stack 9mm. Perhaps she should hold one of those. I have small hands and this little gun fits perfect. Plus the trigger is much nicer than a Glock. This is a different kind of gun.

I agree that she should look at any of the Kahrs. They cost a little more than the Springfields, but the PM 9 is so light and compact. Still, let her handle the XD 9 sub compact first.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am not sure if this would be of interest seeing as it is a double action only pistol. Single stack, 9MM is been announced by Kel-Tec makes a little pistol. only .88 inches wide. about 14 ounces, 3.3 inch barrel. Just saw one advertised and checked their web site, so I figure it will be a few months before they show up in shops. Looks interesting. Good Luck.

·
Registered
37 Posts
As far as single stack 9mm's go, I'm partial to the S&W M-39. However, I have a friend, who's wife has very smal hands and loves her W. German Police surplus P-38. It's an HD gun, so concealment is not an issue w/ her. She likes it a lot better than her previous Taurus PT-111. Didn't like the long trigger pull.

G

·
The Springfield XD 9 Sub Compact has a really thin grip for a double stack 9mm. ...
A perfect example of try it and see what fits *you*. I tried the XD and it felt like a big ol' clunky brick in my hand. I liked the Glock 26 much better. Do check out the Kahrs, though. They are quite narrow, and their DAO trigger is long but incredibly smooth.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts