Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, new member.

In the next few months, I plan to purchase a new handgun. I currently own a 1911 in 45acp, and a Ruger .22 target model (5.5" Bull). I have some experience with a handgun.

I was initially looking for a 9mm pistol. A few years back, I had a Star UltraStar, but the wife and I fell on hard times and needed money. So, away it went. Then I purchased my 45 and had some work done to it.
Its as accurate as the day is long, but even the cheapest brass-cased, name brand 45 shells arent exactly "plinker-cheap". I miss the days of 9mm blasting ammo, but I want a quality pistol that could be used as a carry/defensive piece as well.

I've narrowed it down between the CZ75 and the FN/Browning HP. My brother had a FEGP9R (iirc) a few years ago, and I really liked it. I understand its the same pattern as the HP, but how is the metallurgy on these?

I've held all three, and fired the FEG. Which is the best of the three?
How about the Polymer framed CZs?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Never owned a FEG, but have heard good things of them. Between the CZ-75 & BHP my PERSONAL preference is the BHP. I've owned/own both and they are both great pistols. I prefer a dedicated single action pistol, I don't need double action capability. I have no idea what your requirements are. That's for you to decide. Good luck.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've have a CZ75B and a FN HP right now. I had a FEG PJK-9HP many moons ago and have a friend who loves his, which I shot a few months past. I truthfully have to say from my experience from buying more guns than I should have that the CZ75B is a damn good deal for the money. I've had no problems and though I'm looking to sell mine soon it's not because I don't like the gun.....it's just...well...I'm raising money to fix up my Hi-power.

Yes, I LOVE my Hi-Power, (of course!!!) but you have to put some work (=$$$) into them. So, if you want to keep it cheap, I say go with the CZ75B. Out of the box it's great and after some range time it's even better. It's built tough, esp. for hot loads & high round count plinking. Great home defense gun, not really a good carry gun for hot (always hot in Houston, Texas) weather. It's a full size gun. I've seen many beat up ones and it looks like they're tough for more serious work too. Great customer service also if you need parts or a trigger job.

Now the FEG would be a good deal if you can find one today, KBI stopped importing a few years ago, and it's going to be way rougher than a current CZ75B or FN/Browning HP. If you don't care about it being top notch than you can live with it's trigger being gritty and nipping the web of the hand. But in the end you'll put $$$ into it and there you are....wishing you bought the CZ75B.

I'd stay away from the plastic CZ gun. It was pretty bad in my experience. There are better plastic guns out there in my opinon.

You can't really go wrong with a HP or CZ!

Good luck and Enjoy!!!

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi there,

I don't currently own a CZ, but do have a FEG PJK-9HP and enjoy it probably more than any other pistol in my collection. I bought it when finding a used BHP had turned into a difficult task in my area.

Like your brother, I really like the FEG and you can still find a few on www.gunbroker.com and www.gunsarmerica.com

Chris

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gollitogarcia-
Thanks for the info. After this post, I saw the thread about another member's new polymer 9mm CZ compact, and it looked really nice to me. I was looking in my CDNN catalog, and the price of $259 for a full-size 9mm seems pretty good. What in particular dont you like about the Poly-Framed CZs? I was looking at Glocks initially, but the idea of a pstol with no safety (I'm sorry, a gun with a safety on the trigger has no safety IMO, and I've heard the preaching about the "3 internal trigger-activated safeties") would drive me insane. They're polymer, some of the CZs are polymer. What the difference?

Carolinaman-
I knew about KBI not importing them anymore, but I still see a few here and there. Right now, there is a used FEG 45 in a local store for around $350, which seems a bit steep to me. My brother paid, I believe, $225 NIB, with 2 Hi-Cap mags 5-6 years ago.
I didnt catch the particular model- It looks like a beefed up HP clone, but kinda looks like the S&W autos as well.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey travism1,

I thought that the polymer CZ seemed to be on of those "rushed designs" to get something on the market to compete, or at least grab some market share, with Glock. It just didn't seem quality to me and it had a lot of uncomfortable edges and controls. The trigger was terrible, which hurt accuracy. I rented it twice along with a EAA Witness (Italian made CZ Clone) and wasn't really impressed. I liked the CZ/EAA steel bodies way better. BUT....you just have to try the CZ100 for yourself because... you never know you may LOVE it and shoot great with them. I really can't believe that CZ would put out a bad product that would be problematic...so see if you can rent one. I think the CDNN deal is fantastic though...but you have to ask yourself why it's going for that cheap. It could just be a diamond in the rough.

Also you have to think of non-factory parts availability (sights/mags), if you can find aftermarket stuff (holsters) etc....That's why jumping into cheap deals over the years like the S&W Sigma, Colt All American, or Springfield XD made me think twice. Even HK. They update their stuff too much for the avergae plinker to keep up $Wise. That's why going with the BHP, 1911, Sig, Glock or (even CZ) etc. route seems so easy.

I'm having the same problem getting into the Glock that you are. (or the Springfield XD for that matter) I've been bugging poor Mr. Camp with all kinds of questions. I've tried both and like them except for the lack of safety/DA-SA/decoker options. Theoretically I should be going for the HK USP 9mm Compact in variant one (CDNN> $599...NICE!) BUT I want to try one first, and nobody has one to rent in Houston. So I'll have to wait till I set my mind at ease before I take the plunge. Otherwise it's a Glock 19 or 26 if the USP does't cut it.

I had a FEG in .45 about 15 years ago and had problems with it feeding and springs. I liked it though. It was a fun plinker, like my 9mm one. I'll say this about the FEG 9mm, it was the ONE gun I wish I had kept, because I got it new with two 13 round mags for $199. If I put $200 into that gun it would shoot like a dream, not bite, and be dependable. Unfortunately I haven't seen one that cheap down here in a long time and I was looking real hard until I found the great deal CDNN had on FN Hi Powers ($399!) back in October, so I jumped on it. I love Hi Powers, I just had to have one, a REAL one. (Review of the Teddy Jacobson action job coming soon.)

So, since you've tried the FEG, know the rep of the BHP, can find CZs to rent, and have the knowledge of fantastic CDNN deals you're headin' in the right direction my friend!!! Have fun!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
198 Posts
CZs and their clones usually have pretty creepy SA trigger pulls, and the DA stroke is long for the smaller handed folks. That's about the end of my criticism. Dollar for dollar, hard to beat. The thumb safety is well placed and need not be replaced with a "speed safety," sights are usually well regulated, you have Condition One carry if you're well practiced, and they will withstand many thousands of hot JHP rounds compared to the P-35. Softer recoiling too, due to the additional weight.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A lot of how you like it is going to be based on fit, how big your hand is. The CZ is a double action, the Hipower a single action. I heard so many good things I went to try out a CZ75, put it in my hand, reached for the trigger, and reached, and reached. I have small hands and my finger just barely reached the trigger, it's so far forward in the trigger guard. The trigger on the Hipower is MUCH closer and easier for people with small hands.

Oddly enough, and a surprise to many people, the 1911 is also great for people with small hands even though it's a relatively big gun. I have a Norinco 1911 I picked up for just $350. It's a great shooter, and .45 is a great self-defense caliber, but it's expensive for practice ammo unless you reload.

Also, I shoot a Hipower and a 1911 in pistols, and an A-5 in a shotgun, see a pattern?

Maybe it's just me because I have small hands, but I find trigger reach to be more critical than anything else in choosing a handgun. No matter how good the quality of the gun, or the performance of the caliber, if the gun doesn't really fit my hand I can't shoot it well, and if I can't shoot it well it's of no use to me. I went through a number of pistols before I figured this out, maybe it will help.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bobaloo-
I have large hands, with average fingers. My palms and thumbs seem to be big, but the rest of my fingers are average size. This is one thing that has steered me away from more than a few DA autos, most notably the Sig pistols, and the UltraStar I had was even a stretch for a comfortable DA trigger pull. The 1911 fits my hand great. I also like the grip on the BHPs, and the FEG my brother had. I've also handled a CZ-75B (steel framed) and found it comfortable. I'll just have to shop around, I suppose. Big Gun Show coming up in a few months. I should be squared away by then.

GollitoGarcia-
Funny you mention the Glocks in such a way. My brother got rid of his FEG, and bought a Glock shortly after. It was a G19. I really tried to like it. It felt excellent in my hand, and even though the grip geometry was so different from my 1911, it fit me great. I could make clean, consistent hits with it, the first time I picked it up, and you could load 10 different bullet profiles into the mag, and it would feed them all, no problems, straight from the box. Like I said, I really tried to like it. But, the lack of a true "safety" is a big negative in my eyes. I know the "ultimate safety" is fixed firmly between my ears, but having a handgun in a holster, with a 6-8 pound trigger pull and no safety pointed at your leg seems like tempting fate to me.

I was looking at the USPs from CDNN as well. I really like the Tactical model, and was considering buying it, but for one, its a 45 (I need another like I need a hole in my head), and from what I've understood, HK has half the country on backorder for handguns, and CDNN has no Tacticals.

I was just going to search for aftermarket adjustable sights for the CZs.

Maybe a Glock with a mechanical safety installed would be the ticket.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have 3 BHPs and 1 CZ-75B. I wouldn't want to have to choose between them. I love them all. The nice thing about the CZ is that with the B models you can safely carry them at half-cock. This greatly reduces the trigger reach and pull, or of course you could just carry it cocked and locked like the Browning. The CZ seemed a bit large for my hand until I bought the rubber grips from the factory. Wow! What a difference they made. In any case, you can't go wrong with either pistol. They are both excellent.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can't own a CZ either because of the small hand problem. I think CZs are great guns, but just too blasted large.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You've probably bought already. But have you considered hand loading? I bring this up because you talked about ammo cost in the first post. You can get into loading cheaper than buying any of the guns on your list.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi there,

I've shot CZ-75's and they are great pistols, but I like the HP design better of the two.

Chris

·
Registered
105 Posts
They are both great guns. The only way to truely settle this in your mind is to try them both. If you cant, then buy them both. I've got a HiPower, but I really want to try the CZ Compact 40.

As for handloading, that allways temps me, but it would take you a lot of fireing to pay off the equiptment, shells, powder and primers before you would break even with the box stuff. And even then, it takes time to make them. Time that you could be at your job making money. And then, what if you want to try a box of the store stuff? Every time you do, you'll kick yourself for buying the equiptment. Plus, you will never know if your accuracy problems are due to poor loading. When you buy from the store, at least you can say, "Darn 'white box' Winchesters! They're my problem."

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
These are two top shelf products. I would handle both at a shop and if possible rent and shoot them both. I would then opt for the pistol that felt best in my hands and I also shot best. My one word of advice is CZs are no longer the bargains they used to be. I bought my CZ75 for $350 and CZ75B for $269 but those days are gone. Regards, Richard

1 - 17 of 17 Posts