Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the word on CZ pistols?

They seem like a straight forward design, Colt/Browning system I belive and of course they have the reverse rails.

Their site says, and this is a quote...."CZ 75 B is used by more Governments, Militaries, Police and Security agencies than any other pistol in the world. The CZ 75 is quite possibly the perfect pistol."

Basically I'm interested in their CZ 75D Light alloy frame de-cocker model as a CCW.

How do they rank compared to Browning, Glock and Sig in so far as quality and reliability are concerned?

Do any U.S. agencies issue them or approve them for carry?

Take care and Happy Holidays,
KG59

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
The consensus of opinion among the members of this site is that the CZ is just a darned good shootin' iron.

Seriously, I love my old CZ75. It's reliable, accurate, tough as nails, and though it's a little bigger in the grip than a BHP, it's comfortable to hold and shoot. Mine's never had a malfunction, though to be fair, I haven't put nearly as many rounds through it as I have through a couple of my Hi Powers. But it's ingested every round of ammo I've fed it, including some particularly noxious (and hot) Olympic ball without the first hiccup. The only addition I've made to mine was a set of Hogue wraparound grips with finger grooves.

If I had the money to be shopping for guns right now, there are a couple in the CZ family that I'd be taking a hard look at.

·
Regulator,
3,441 Posts
kilogulf59,

Have to agree with Stephen Camp on this one. I purchased a CZ-75B in .40 S&W about six months ago. Initially I had two failures to extract with Cor-Bon ammo.
Sent it to Miossi Gun works and Jim installed a stronger extractor sping, did an action tune up, installed his new "hard" sear, and Angus Hammer.
Resulting pistol is way cool, totally reliable, and a joy to shoot.
Best dollar value I've seen...recommend you get one (or more)

Wes

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks folks....

I almost forgot this post, good thing I checked.

BTW...do we have e-mail notification of post replys in this forum?

If so I couldn't find the check box.

Thanks, again...I'm reading the article now.

Take care,
KG59

G

·
0 Posts
I've owned the gun you're talking about, KG59.

Like most CZs, it is dependable and accurate. The trigger on it is not as finger friendly as the PO1, which has more of a curve. I never had a part break on it in about 2500 rounds. I did, however, replace the recoil spring with a Wolf spring and rebuilt the magazines w/ Wolf springs.

The decocker is positioned well and using it quickly becomes second nature.

Trigger pull on most CZs smooths quite a bit after 1000 pulls. So plan on dry firing it a lot when you first get it.

Good luck.

Max

G

·
0 Posts
I have these 3 and 1/2 CZs:
1. a CZ 75B Duo-tone chambered in 9mm
2. a CZ 75 P-01 chambered in 9mm
3. a CZ 75 RAMI chambered in 9mm
4. a CZ Kadet Kit/upper chambered in .22lr.

I have no particular brand loyalty, CZ or anything else, I buy whatever I like. I do like these, above, CZs.

Maybe I'm just more fortunate than others based upon some complaints that I've read, but ALL of mine have been utterly reliable out-of-the-box. The accuracy of this particular P-01 is right up there with my late model HK P7M8.

I also own and shoot three Browning and FN Hi Powers. I like them also very much, but in comparison, I feel that the CZs are more robust and could withstand more troublefree rounds of +P+ 9mm ammunition. I could be wrong - that's just my perception.

G

·
0 Posts
The PO1 is, or was when I owned one, the only NATO spec pistol. As such it is qualified for NATO ammo, which I believe is pretty hot.

Max

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi kilogulf59, i have a PO1 that has 2500 rds thru it and not a single failure, i use this as my carry gun, iam lucky i have a choice of which gun to carry, bhp, kimber,kahr, or colt and choose to carry this gun. it shoots fantastic even with no mods. on the other hand bought a rammi in 40cal, it was reliable with wwb but could not get it to feed any personal defense ammo, had a failure to feed with the second rd on every mag, sold it and never looked back, i think the CZ line is one of the best values out........scott

G

·
0 Posts
I have a friend who is into CZs in a serious way...he owns a CZ-40 (.40), a CZ-75 (9mm), a CZ-83 (.380 ACP) and two CZ-50s (.32 ACP). I have had an opportunity to handle and shoot the CZ-40, the CZ-83 and the CZ-75. Of the three, my favorite is the -75. The ergonomics are perfect for me, with a curved backstrap (unlike the -40, which has a straight backstrap), good trigger reach and nice grip size. I also like the -83 very much.

These pistols are "old school" in that they are made of steel and are screwed together and fitted very nicely. The DA feature on these guns is also "old school"....there is no hammer drop or decocking device, so if you wish to carry the pistol DA, you must CAREFULLY pull the trigger past the sear and gently lower the hammer to its DA rest position. In that position, the safety does not engage, the apparent design philosophy being that the DA trigger pull is, itself, an adequate safety which requires no other mechanical barrier. The upside is that these pistols may also be safely carried cocked and locked, just like a 1911, and the location of the safety at the rear of the frame is very conducive to proper manipulation.

I am very impressed by the CZ pistols. Were it not for the fact that I now have plenty of other guns and don't need any more at the moment, I'd certainly like a nice CZ-75 (and if Jeff ever wants to get rid of his, I'll help him out!!)

Bob

G

·
0 Posts
I own 3 CZ pistols and 1 rifle. They've been completely dependable. I don't have the model you mentioned, which I believe is known as the PCR in CZ circles. It was formally the pistol issued to the Czech Police before the PO1 came out. I have my eye on one for a future purchase. The three pistols I own, the CZ-75B, 2075 RAMI and CZ-83 do not have decock levers. I kind of like the fact that they can be carried cocked and locked, or hammer down for a double-action first shot. CZs are wonderful pistols. They do require a break-in period and you may need to upgrade to Wolff springs, but other than that I think you will happy with a CZ-75D.

G

·
0 Posts
And don't forget the old 52 with that outstanding 7.62x25 cartridge! Dang, I like bottlenecks.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've never shot a CZ, but did own a EAA Tanfoglio Witness in .45 ACP that by all accounts is based on the CZ design. In Mr. Camp's article, even all the internal parts in the grip frame looked like the same design.

The main thing I liked about this pistol was the way it felt in my hand. Man, that sucker pointed perfectly, filled my grip without being bulky, and.... well,... Just felt real dang good. I handled a CZ 97 in .45 at a gunshow a while back, and it feels nothing like the EAA version. Much bigger and bulkier.

Something else Mr. Camp mentioned that also rang true in my case- the slide to frame fit seemed to have lots of play, (would rattle when ya shake it) yet still managed to be pretty accurate. Five shot groups at 25 yards with a variety of jacketed ammo usually hovered just over 2".

The single action pull was also smoother and lighter than my Kimber, and you don't have to switch the safety off to unload it. (I assume the CZ shares that feature- better check it out though)

G

·
0 Posts
I have a CZ 85. My son has a P01. CZs are borderline classics. Great weapon. Easy hold, reliable, reasonable priced. CZ 75/85 nice full size pistol. The P01 is a nice carry and can use 75/85 mags if you want. Get a 30 rounder for your CZ75/85 and shoot forever. I don't think you can go wrong with a CZ. I plan to by a CZ52 for the blast.

G

·
0 Posts
The CZ PO1 is the most accurate handgun I own. From hearing from other people, looks like they love theirs too. Put it this way, I can't seem to find a CZ PO1 that is under $400, even a use one. People don't seem to be selling theirs, cause I can't seem to find a use PO1 anywhere, always new ones that runs around $430 to $490. This tells a lot about a gun.

G

·
0 Posts
CZs are unknown in my area. I have two of them for sale.
Little interest shown locally.

G

·
0 Posts
And don't forget the old 52 with that outstanding 7.62x25 cartridge! Dang, I like bottlenecks.

Good day, just purchased 2 CZ52's. Awesome shootin pistol!!! Where did you get your grips, they are nice.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts