Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in obtaining either a CZ 82/83 in 9x18. Does anyone have any experience/opinions about these particular pistols? Thanks.

Steve

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many times! That's the reason my wallet has lost weight! I and many others are convinced that Mr. Camp is responsible for much of the National Debt.

Regards,

Steve

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Hello. The only real complaint I had with the CZ83 was not its size, which is large for caliber, but like the Hi Power, it has a wide front grip strap that was somewhat slippery if hands are sweaty.
The gun I had was in .380, but reliable as sin with well-regulated fixed sights.

Best.

G

·
My .380 with nites, ran like a champ. Finding ammo for it was tough and expensive..far more
than 9mm in my area.

83s are fine guns with few shortcomings as the design is very reliable and safe.
accuracy will amaze you. Really, the ONLY .380 that I've ever owned and probably the
last. MY satin Nickle 9mm MAK was super nice, just a bear to find ammo for.
The CZ83 poster is quite nice also.

Look here if the CZ83 still beckons you:
http://www.angelfire.com/id/projectsafestarsap/cz83.html

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Hello,

About 20 years ago, the 83 was in high esteem among the operatives in special services of Western Europe. Compact 9 mm para didn't exist at the time.

Bye.

L.

·
Registered
115 Posts
About two years ago I bought a new CZ83 from makarov.com., because of the 9x18 caliber.

It's a well made, good looking, accurate pistol.
Mine isn't reliable feeding JHP, but it seems that this may be just this pistol and not a common problem.

Not as a criticism of the CZ83 at all, but just as a comparison, the Makarov will preform as well as the CZ83 (except for the hi cap magazine) and costs (for now) half as much as a new CZ83.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for the info. I just recently purchase a Mak in 9x18 and being a CZ guy I was looking for something else in 9x18.

I was hoping to find an 82/83 used, but haven't so far. I'll keep looking though. In the meantime, I guess I'll get another EG Mak while they're available.

Steve

G

·
You might check makarov.com. They recently arranged for a special run of 83s in 9x18, in 3 different finishes. Most were pre-ordered, but they may have some left over. I was on the list to get one, but came across a military Russian Mak and just had to add it to the Mak collection - that took most of the 83 funding (sigh.)

G

·
Have had an opportunity to shoot a friend's CZ-83, which he bought some years ago at the BX where he was stationed in Germany.

Very nice handling pistol, very reliable and accurate. I have a standing offer with Jeff that I'll buy it from him when he gets tired of it and he just laughs at me....

Bob

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Actually, I bought two CZ 82s in 9x18 last month from AIM. Both are in excellent condition and great shooters.

I prefer the sights on the CZ 82s , but the triggers are a little crisper on the EG Makarovs.

Both CZs are very accurate, perhaps a hair more than the Maks, but not enough difference to quibble. The CZs fed S&B FMJs, steel case S&Bs, MPS FMJs, Hornady HPs and Reed XTP HPs without any hiccups.

A nice pistol that give you 12 +1 and a fairly smooth DA for a first shot. I've put Pearce grips on the Maks to give me a little more to hold on to, but the bigger standard grips on the CZs are just right.

Steve

G

·
My CZ83 in .380 has been very reliable. It is rather large for it's caliber, but high capacity too. It has a few sharp edges, but it is a superb firearm. It would make a nice self defense firearm for a female or an older person. Since I'm on my way to becoming an older person I am holding onto it. For now I carry Colt Commanders or Browning High Powers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts