Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am permitted in my home state and driving down to Florida. North Carolina is Reciprocal and so is Florida. South Carolina and Georgia are not.

Used to take my pistol and put it into a locked box transiting those states, under the protection of the federal transport law.

Now I have a new S&W with the key lock. What do you think about emptying the Revolver, locking the action with it's dedicated key, and putting the gun in a briefcase on the back seat .

Think that qualifies under the federal law ?

Boats

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hello,

I can only comment that SC requires you to keep your handgun in a separate compartment of your vehicle, i.e. glove box or trunk.

Chris

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy Mr. Boats,

I do not have a precise answer for you sir, beyond suggesting you attempt to research the state CCW/Concealed Weapons laws in both GA and SC.

I have no idea what existing NC concealed weapons laws are now. In the 70s and 80s - if the weapon was in the passenger area, the only location that kept you from carrying a concealed weapon was with it in the glove box and the glove box LOCKED. If the glove box was not locked (even if it did not have a lock), then legally you were violating the concealed weapon statute. But understand back in that time frame the only folks legally entitled to carry a concealed weapon were LEOs. If the weapon was locked inside the trunk, it was legal. Under the seat was considered concealed. In plain view on the seat was legal, but very risky, as you could never know how the officer stopping you might react.

As I noted I have no idea what the NC laws on the books are now that address this issue. I realize you are legal in NC, but my point is that both GA and SC might have laws that say a,b and c are legal, but d and e are violations of their state laws.

If you have issues still not resolved by your research, I would suggest you telephone the state police in both GA and SC and ask your specific questions. Note the time, date, and name of the person you spoke with and their responses to your question. I would kept that note in my possession when transiting through those states.

Not a real answer sir, sorry. But it is the best I can offer.

twoguns

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Yo Boats,

Get a Fla nonresident CCW. I think that covers SC and GA.

All you need is a DD-214 last I heard.

Otherwise, locked in the trunk is safe in most places on Gods side of the Iron Curtain.

Regards,

Pat

·
Registered
213 Posts
Boats---

Go to the Florida website:
http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/index.html
This is the Ag Dept. Division of Licensing, and you can download forms or use the mailing address. 30 or so states recognize a FL CCW or have reciprocity. The website will say which are current.

Otherwise, +1 on the comments to research DPS rules for the states you'll be transiting. Generally speaking, with the exception of Massachusetts and possibly DC, if the weapon is not under your immediate control, i.e., it's in a locked case, in the trunk (NOT the glove box), with ammo secured separately, you're within the law. But don't quote me.

David

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
Now I have a new S&W with the key lock. What do you think about emptying the Revolver, locking the action with it's dedicated key, and putting the gun in a briefcase on the back seat .

Think that qualifies under the federal law ?
No. I don't know what the State laws are, and you probably want to check them out as to what mode of transport is legal, but under Federal regulations, the lock doesn't make a difference. If you don't have a trunk, the locked briefcase would suffice.

There is still no good reason for the lock on the gun. ;) I couldn't help myself.

(B7) May a nonlicensee transport firearms for sporting or other lawful
purposes?
Yes. Federal law provides a person, who is not prohibited by the GCA
from receiving or transporting firearms, the right to transport a firearm
under certain conditions, notwithstanding State or local law to the contrary.
The firearms must be unloaded and in a locked trunk or, in a vehicle lacking a
trunk, in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

Also, the carrying and possession must be lawful at the place of origin and
destination.
[18 U.S.C. 926A, 27 CFR 178.38]

·
Registered
146 Posts
Yo Boats,

Get a Fla nonresident CCW. I think that covers SC and GA.
I just double-checked Florida and S. C. is NOT listed as a reciprocal state. Reason I was curious is that my Georgia resident permit is not recognized there; it's the only state in the Southeast that seems to stand alone.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I would second the idea of checking each state--might try the NRA web. I know Georgia is fairly lenient about carrying in a car-including loaded.
I recently checked for a fellow employee from out of state who is in Ga. on TDY for us.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Should have been more specific, SUV with no trunk. Since I only transit don't look carefully at the state rules and just lock the pistol up when transiting non reciprocal states, Federal compliance trumps state regulations as a rule. When in Florida am up on the rules and whats allowed.

Question is what to lock it with. Normally I use a hard box with a padlock. And Ammo locked in a separate box. The Federal rule is clear sort of, Locked locked and locked. I have transited with Shotguns and a padlock thought the handles of a soft case which makes no real sense but thats what was available and seems to meet the letter of the federal law.

I only have one handgun with the built in lock, S&W 342, it's pretty useless if it will not protect you from over zealous prosecution. The prosecution part is more dangerous than bad guys.

Boats

1 - 11 of 11 Posts