Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The weather's not very good today, but I did get a chance to adjust the sights on a stainless Commander I sometimes carry. While firing and adjusting, I decided to get out on the porch and photograph some of the guns I've carried over the years.

In the center below is an early 70s vintage Commander I bought off a local officer. He had gotten it from another officer, who'd bought it from a friend of mine's shop in 1972. The stainless Commander is one I got in the late 1990s, the last Colt .45 auto the big dealer in town ever had in stock. The Series 70 full size on the right is one I rescued from a pawn shop a couple of years ago. Then there's a target BHP I traded a Smith & Wesson M24-3 for, with my first BHP above it, a beaten up Mark III. It's beaten up because it's been carried and fired a lot, but it's pretty much 100% reliable. It jammed once with a shot cartridge.

Hmmm, looks like my satin chrome project gun's been hanging out with the "roundies." Clockwise from top right is a 2002 vintage M638 S&W in .38 Special, then a Model 66-1 from about 1980, a 1977 Model 10 2" in .38, and finally a mid-80s "FBI style" Model 10 with 3" heavy barrel and round butt.

That's not all the guns I've carried at one time or another; I've gone from the extremes of a .22 Magnum NAA derringer to 4" and 6" barreled .44 and .41 Magnums. I've carried both wheelguns and autos, but the revolvers tend to be temporary, and I always come back to the bottom feeders. The exception to that general rule is that when I'm in a hurry to go someplace a J frame S&W is very easy to slip into a pants pocket.

Anybody else have an extended list of carrying guns that tends to center around a very few?

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 3" M10 is a heck of a fine shooter. It points well and conceals well, but I'm not nearly as fond of it as I am the slicked up 4" heavy barrel.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Hello.

At one time, I occasionally toted my first Hi Power and it did "encourage" a would-be burglar to plie his trade elsewhere one night, but now it only goes to the range.

This one goes everywhere these days, either alone or as a BUG.

This Mil-Spec is being toted quite a bit now. With its upgraded internals and a very slight amount of external work, it pleases mightily.

This was my duty gun during the last few years as an officer.

Best.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
One of two autos, and a J frame, are most common here. Sometimes a 4" N Frame replaces the auto:

This MKIII BHP, or the Practical version, is a common, comforting, companion that replaced a G23 (which had replaced a 2 3/4" Speed Six) :

This S&W DPA5906 is handy, accurate, and very comforting in a well worn Kramer IWB #2:

And this J frame (always), and the M24-3 (when a revolver is primary- this is the one, in a Sparks VM-2), are both classic, reliable, and comforting:

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Hello. Yes, it was installed by Lou Williamson of Williamson Precision Gunsmithing in Hurst, TX. (At the time of this work, he was at Knight's Gun Shop in Ft. Worth.) The sight has a few things not readily visible. Certainly, it has a larger diameter screw (allen head, actually), but the front of the sight "spring" itself has been tapered on the end to match a corresponding taper milled in the top of the slide. With the downward pressure of the allen head, any forward moment of inertia is retarded by the bevel rather than just the beefed up allen head. This true only on the way forward; rearward the screw does it all, but it's worked fine since I had it done in '71 or '72.

I also have a Colt '70's with such a sight arrangement albeit w/o the bevel part of the sight instalation, but it, too, has held up fine.

It is very nice to see what I think are a couple of underated guns in your post: the good old Model 10's. A 4" HB square butt was my very first duty revolver and I've seen so many 2" M10's (rnd and square butt versions) carried by detectives in the '70's and '80's that I thought it was just standard fare for them! I reckon it was!

While I'm not saying they rate the top of the list, I do think that the guns have remained popular because with their medium power caliber, they're so easy to shoot and the guns last many years with proper treatment and cleaning.

I don't use it much but do sort of like this old 2" Model 10 square butt. When I got it the hammer spur had been bobbed. The action had not been and I've left it alone for now. This one wears a Tyler "T" grip adapter now.

This is a newer version of the Model 10 4" HB and came with a round butt as do S&W revolvers these days. This one has a very nice action and I enjoy shooting it quite a bit. I'd prefer the square but on this one and the round butt on the other, but so it goes...

Best.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts