Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There comes a time when one wonders what the single most versatile pistol is. I am nearing retirement and I want to be debt free when it occurs. I am used to a large collection and I intend to cull the herd. A minimalist list is also of benefit to those just starting to collect or on a limited budget.

I know that I will never be able to live without a 1911, Browning High-Power, or one of my CZs with the Kadet 22 Conversion unit. My do all pistol will become my Glock 23 (G23). Why choose the G23? I will be shoot 40 S&W, 357 Sig, and 9mm because I have conversion barrels in those calibers. This list also includes my Glock 21 as I can shoot 45acp and 10mm rounds in it.

Along with these pistols, I intend to keep some pistols of little value that I know work. What are these bargain basement pistols? I have a $135 4

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi Richard,

Currently protected by good performance and value are:

SA Champion
S&W 642
S&W M-65
Belgium HP '76C
Glock 23 (CWP piece)

The rest of the collection which is considerable is "hard currency" in "tough times".

Chris

·
Registered
160 Posts
My E.G. Mak, My BHP and I'm sure, the Springfield Mil-spec I just picked up yesterday. Finally my first .45/1911.

So Richard... what are you selling?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I probably sound like a broken record but the single most versatile pistol is a 1911 (that is if the goal is doing the most with one frame - which is the part that is serial numbered).

I once saw an article where one author had his fixed up to fire 27 different calibers. I have never gone that far but I could easily fire cartridges in most power ranges. There even used to be conversions for .308 and 30-06!

OTOH, with minimal extra accessories, a 1911 in .45 Super with a .22 LR conversion would cover about every practical mission one wold want (because you can also shoot .45 ACP in it without modification).

That does not mean the case cannot be made for other calibers or even guns. A 10mm is cool. I would not go much lower for hunting big game though.

Just ramblin.

Jim H.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts